Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Are RV salesmen from this planet?

We're in Florida for 3 moths. As we dove past a RV dealer we seen a class A model we were interested in, so we stopped to see if it had the storage space we need for touring. A salesman came out to help us. He showed us two class C models - one new 59k and a used one for 89k. We browsed through them - not really what we were looking for. Then he offered to see what they could give us for our 24' class C. The wife said ok! In his office he asked what we paid for it, he said "wow" because we got a good deal on it. He asked if we would be happy getting what we paid for it. I said no because we got it for a good price, we added solar, larger batteries, 2000w inverter, new awning, new tires, etc. He said those things really wouldn't make it more valuable. THEN HE ASKED IF THOSE ADDITIONS WOULD COME WITH THE VEHICLE WHEN TRADED! If they weren't worth anything why did he want to make sure we weren't going to remove them? He never did give us a value on our RV but wanted us to make an offer on a RV we looked through! We must have looked at each one for 20 minutes. Do people really drop that kind of money after just walking through an RV?

When he got the message we were not interested he said that he'll go home hungry tonight. If that would have made me feel bad I would have went out and bought him a McDonald's happy meal. But I didn't buy that either.

BTW our little ol class C has been great, our kitchen is nicer than both of the class Cs we looked at there. We cook in so that's important to us. We appreciated our RV even more after this experience.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
We're in Florida for 3 moths. As we dove past a RV dealer we seen a class A model we were interested in, so we stopped to see if it had the storage space we need for touring. A salesman came out to help us. He showed us two class C models - one new 59k and a used one for 89k. We browsed through them - not really what we were looking for. Then he offered to see what they could give us for our 24' class C. The wife said ok! In his office he asked what we paid for it, he said "wow" because we got a good deal on it. He asked if we would be happy getting what we paid for it. I said no because we got it for a good price, we added solar, larger batteries, 2000w inverter, new awning, new tires, etc. He said those things really wouldn't make it more valuable. THEN HE ASKED IF THOSE ADDITIONS WOULD COME WITH THE VEHICLE WHEN TRADED! If they weren't worth anything why did he want to make sure we weren't going to remove them? He never did give us a value on our RV but wanted us to make an offer on a RV we looked through! We must have looked at each one for 20 minutes. Do people really drop that kind of money after just walking through an RV?

When he got the message we were not interested he said that he'll go home hungry tonight. If that would have made me feel bad I would have went out and bought him a McDonald's happy meal. But I didn't buy that either.

BTW our little ol class C has been great, our kitchen is nicer than both of the class Cs we looked at there. We cook in so that's important to us. We appreciated our RV even more after this experience.

I've dealt with salespeople on both ends of the spectrum. Some are scum of the Earth while others are honest and forthright and are looking to just make a living. I would venture that this holds true for every profession out there, it just so happens that with salespeople we have direct financial dealings with them that exposes this character that we don't often get to see from people in other fields. I try to not assume that a salesperson is dishonest right off the bat. I try to be an informed consumer and understand how business works (factually, not what I dream up in my head like many consumers). This typically exposes what type of salesperson I'm dealing with rather quickly.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #3

There is indeed a huge spectrum of salespeople. But in the case of trading an RV, I think there are dealers (maybe not all) that wouldn't see some of those add-ons as increase trade-in value. Some dealers seem to prefer the unit be as close to bone stock as they can get it. And there is some logic to that - if they take in unit with an add-on solar system, custom inverter, etc.. they are going to on the hook to teach the new buyer how it works (just like they demonstrate the rest of the RV at pickup) and they need to prove it works and possibly warranty it for some amount of time.

As a dealer, if you don't know who put it in and/or its made from components you don't normally deal with, you have to pay a service tech to go through it. I can see where this would complicate things and not be attractive to a dealer.

If you were selling the unit yourself in a private sale, I think all those upgrades clearly add value (to the right buyer).

And I doubt many people drop that kind of money after a 20 minute look, but if you make your living selling, you probably aren't doing your job if you don't ask. Plus that may be a conversation starter to try to sort out professional browsers and tire kickers from serious buyers.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Yup, there are some good ones out there. So far, I'm happy with the folks we bought our current rig from. With that said, there are others who are part of zoological family Serpentes - those that speak with forked tongue.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
I was in sales nearly all my working life. You always look for ways to make the close on a deal. But, this reminded me of what I used to joke with my customers about. I would be looking for a parts or supply order for their equipment since I knew they weren't going to replace any hard goods. When they would tell me, no we don't need anything right now, I would then ask if I could use their phone. I told them I needed to call my wife and tell her not to go the grocery store that day. They gave me a strange look, and then I told them I was joking.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Censored Member

I personally think you’re being unfair in your assessment of your salesman. First off, why did you waste the salesman’s time if you weren’t interested in the units you looked at? Second, the salesman offered a deal to give you what you paid for your trade in…that sounds like a pretty good offer to me unless you just bought your unit this year. Third, the new tires, new awning, and batteries (considered to be normal maintenance) won’t increase the value of your RV one iota at any dealership you visit. The solar panel, and inverter would add value but you could always remove them. As far as I’m concerned the only thing your salesman did wrong was the snide remark about going hungry tonight.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
There is indeed a huge spectrum of salespeople. But in the case of trading an RV, I think there are dealers (maybe not all) that wouldn't see some of those add-ons as increase trade-in value. Some dealers seem to prefer the unit be as close to bone stock as they can get it. And there is some logic to that - if they take in unit with an add-on solar system, custom inverter, etc.. they are going to on the hook to teach the new buyer how it works (just like they demonstrate the rest of the RV at pickup) and they need to prove it works and possibly warranty it for some amount of time.

As a dealer, if you don't know who put it in and/or its made from components you don't normally deal with, you have to pay a service tech to go through it. I can see where this would complicate things and not be attractive to a dealer.

If you were selling the unit yourself in a private sale, I think all those upgrades clearly add value (to the right buyer).

And I doubt many people drop that kind of money after a 20 minute look, but if you make your living selling, you probably aren't doing your job if you don't ask. Plus that may be a conversation starter to try to sort out professional browsers and tire kickers from serious buyers.
X2. Our mods may not be of any value to a potential buyer. A clean, bone stock unit is probably easier to sell for a dealer who can't explain what the mod does or how it works. In most cases I know more about a particular trailer I'm interested in than the salesperson. (My DW says that when I retire in a few years I should get a job as a salesperson for a local dealer.) So an add-on that they can't explain is a problem.

Let me give you an example. If I hard wire in a PI EMS unit and the buyer has no idea what it is, they may not share my opinion that it's of value to them. A dealer's salesperson probably has no idea what it is or how it works either. All they want to know is does it affect the operation of the RV and what would it cost to remove it if they don't want it there. And the salesperson has to include it in the warranty to the buyer.

I recently traded my F150 in on a new F250. I had done some mods to the F150 that I thought were really nice including HID retrofitted projector headlights, an aftermarket stereo system, backup lights and backup camera. But the salesman's comment was, "none of the modifications you made devalues the truck". To him, and to a customer, they're more likely a liability than an benefit.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

In 2015 we were looking at trading our 2012 Salem trailer for a left over 2014 5th wheel and the sales person said the same things - new tires, second battery, surge protection hardwired, a real mattress, etc etc won't get you more trade in cash. No but they will increase your margin when you sell it I said.

We noticed he refused to look me in the eyes when he spoke to me. That was teh second issue.

After looking up on line the prices for a used unit in spotless condition, he told me that we would not get anything for the upgrades and that the trailer in its condition was worth a mere $14,500.
the 2014 5th wheel left over 27 foot was marked down to $47,000.

I sold our 2012 tag along Salem 4 months later for $21,800.

A unit identified as in rough condition on the internet was $14,500. All the consignment place had to do to market mine was clean the tires after it rained.

it depends on how badly you want to waste money and how much you want something new i guess

remember
Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Broken Toe

If you always keep in mind that a salesman's primary function is to separate as much of your money from you as they can possibly get away with, then you will understand their mentality. Some of the can be sharp as razors, and will come off as your best friend on the planet, but if you remember that little bit of advice, you will see how slick they can actually be. Sometimes I feel like Roddy McDowell wearing the glasses in "They Live". I can see what they really are, but nobody else seems to...

With that being said, I bet quite a large percentage of RV's are sold by people just walking in off the street. Again, remembering their job is to separate you from your money, they will put into your mind all the mental ammo you need to justify your purchase to yourself. They will paint it as the best decision you will ever make, and also make you subconsciously feel that if you don't jump on it, you will be missing out on the deal of a lifetime. Again, if you understand their true motivations, then it's easy to ignore all the "sales tricks". They are not stupid, it don't take them long to realize when they have an astute customer that wont fall for that crap. Sad thing is, I bet the people who fall for it outnumber the people who won't by 10 to 1.

I bought my new camper on a day where I did not plan to buy anything. I was planning on waiting for a few more months. I already had a deal in my pocket, ready to go. They just happened to have one of the proper model on the lot, and we both wanted to see one in the flesh another time before we committed. But when the sales manager enquired on "What will it take to make a deal today", I told him exactly what I would accept, and not a dime more. After a bit of him probing my position to see how firm I was, he finally realized that I was about to walk. He met my demands and we signed the papers. In doing so, I got some extra options over the deal in my pocket, and saved nearly $2k in the process.

He didn't pressure me. Hell, he couldn't have pressured me if he tried. But he made me a deal that I would have regretted not taking that day.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
In 2015 we were looking at trading our 2012 Salem trailer for a left over 2014 5th wheel and the sales person said the same things - new tires, second battery, surge protection hardwired, a real mattress, etc etc won't get you more trade in cash. No but they will increase your margin when you sell it I said.

We noticed he refused to look me in the eyes when he spoke to me. That was teh second issue.

After looking up on line the prices for a used unit in spotless condition, he told me that we would not get anything for the upgrades and that the trailer in its condition was worth a mere $14,500.
the 2014 5th wheel left over 27 foot was marked down to $47,000.

I sold our 2012 tag along Salem 4 months later for $21,800.

A unit identified as in rough condition on the internet was $14,500. All the consignment place had to do to market mine was clean the tires after it rained.

it depends on how badly you want to waste money and how much you want something new i guess

remember
This is why I don't trade, but rather sell myself. I can understand mods I've done not increasing value. But when they don't offer more in trade for factory installed options that I KNOW they will get extra for when they sell, we have a problem. And they also want to give me the same price they give the guy that has left it outside its entire life, let five 100lb dogs roam in and out of and chew things up and so on. No thanks. I took care of mine so I could get extra for it, not you.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This is why I don't trade, but rather sell myself. I can understand mods I've done not increasing value. But when they don't offer more in trade for factory installed options that I KNOW they will get extra for when they sell, we have a problem. And they also want to give me the same price they give the guy that has left it outside its entire life, let five 100lb dogs roam in and out of and chew things up and so on. No thanks. I took care of mine so I could get extra for it, not you.
I agree that its a lot better financially if you can sell your unit privately. The dealer wants to make $3000 - $4000 when he sells it to the next guy. I sold our Roo privately and pocketed $5000 more than the dealer would offer on trade. Its a bit harder with a daily driver vehicle unless you're prepared to either be without a vehicle or have both at the same time. My driveway's just not that big!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #12

Yes, RV salesmen are from this planet. If you don't understand them, it is because you are playing in their sandbox by their rules...that most people are unfamiliar with and for some reason think the salesman is supposed to make you happy.

The situation where one wants to buy and trade in their RV is often a rude reality check as these RVs are known as wasting assets that depreciate like few other wasting assets do.

If want a different response, sell privately.

Just because you wanted those options doesn't mean I want them or the type you purchased.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #13
Censored Member

The job of a salesman is to sell and in doing so make money for his employer and himself. If a salesman can’t sell, he’s let go and out of a job.

If you want to buy an RV then do your homework before you go to the dealership. If you bring in a trade and expect the dealer to give you the retail price for it then don’t expect the dealer to knock another 20% off the cost of the unit he’s selling. When I buy an RV or even a car, I know exactly what I want for a bottom line figure. I also have financing in place (unless the dealer offers better) and I know what the cost of a good third party extended warranty will cost (which I never buy anyway). And above all, you must be willing to walk out the door without making a deal.

By the way, some dealerships can sell cheaper than others because their overhead costs aren't as high. There is a cost to operating a business…surely you know that.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #14

Since we use our motor home for work, we need specific things, such as storage for equipment. I do my home work but I have never seen any maker list the size of the outside storage compartments, we have to measure them ourselves, specs like 77 square feet of storage means nothing if it isn't high or long enough for what we carry. I didn't ask the salesman to give us a quote - he brought it up. They want to get you setting at their desk and talk numbers. I don't feel we were wasting his time because it was his idea. We told him we were interested in the class As, yet he wanted to talk class C. He called us and once again talked about RVs we were not interested in. Of course I plan to sell our old unit privately, we get lots of people telling us they are looking for a small unit like ours. We'll have no trouble selling it.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

I buy from a small family owned dealer in Ormond Beach, Fl. Robbins Camper Sales. the owner , Dennis, has talked me out of buying a rig, because it is not the right one for us.
I trust his word, 100%. I have made deals over the phone, got back in town and signed the paperwork. Over the years I have bought a travel trailer, a 5er, and three class A's. They have all been good units at a fair price. I bought one class A from an individual, and he was a common thief. Find a good honest dealer and stay with them.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:

if you were interested in a class A why did you look at C class ????
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #17

========
If he is like me, it isn't always that clear what your best option is. Experience in an RV will usually trump a mental analysis of the pros and cons.

I'm a good example. My wife has been pushing for a class B and after our recent trip in a short rental C we learned she doesn't like trucks, but will drive if pushed and has motion sickness issues when she is not driving, and both of us really liked the mobility of the short C.

I would be pretty happy with a B+ or a short C, however, there is more than one way to get mobility. There have been a lot of improvements to these shorter chassis which pushes one to consider a new model. However, despite having the financial means I just can "justify (to use the word)" paying for a new one.

So, in a way, I'm back to where I was a couple of years ago...a more than 10 years used high luxury quality diesel pusher for around $60k towing a new mobility oriented F150 truck 4 down. A big benefit is a big kitchen and I'm a great cook. Just travel private campground to private campground on short hours and then settle in and mobilize the truck to go to Starbucks.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
========
If he is like me, it isn't always that clear what your best option is. Experience in an RV will usually trump a mental analysis of the pros and cons.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. It sounds like you're saying if you don't know what you want you should let a salesman tell you what you need.

I too would like to know why he would even let a salesman show him a class C when he was really interested in a Class A.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #19

My experience with a salesman last year was complete opposite, he showed me a camper with more than I wanted at less money (by 4 grand) than anyone else! Sold! Love my camper and all ready for the season to start! His name is Matt McDermott wholesale rv club
Old 02-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #20
I Break Everything

If you're in America, everything is sales. Anytime the final price can be negotiated it doesn't matter what homework you do if the salesman needs to hit a certain mark this or that month. If honesty was in the equation every time there would be no need for Sales Manager position. It would be what it should be. But it's not, sadly. Negotiating literally makes me sick and I don't have patience for salesman. Didn't they grow up hearing all the "used car salesman" jokes like the rest of us?

Luckily my wife was a collector for Ford Credit in Houston, Texas when she was in college years ago. I fill her in what's what and watch the magic happen. She's a shark and because she's been on the other side it's too funny when the salesman start stuttering.

My hope is we all check everything we can before we drop 20-120,000K or more. I agree, sometimes you walk out of an RV lot wonder what just happened. Good Luck.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote