Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Axle woes- Asking anybody?

Ok. After one full year with my first TT (Salem 30KQBSS) and 6 trips under my belt, one of them a 1800 mile round trip jaunt from Central IL to the Florida panhandle... And numerous "incidents" (broke a window closing my awning in FL) (rammed a fuel pump pylon in WI) now I find myself with, apparently, two bent misaligned axles or spindles... I don't have a lot of confidence in my dealer (still think he hasn't properly adjusted my WD hitch - I feel like I'm taking off in a plane) - here I sit wondering "what to do!!??" I've asked a few other repair shops and they say pay the money and get new axles, or for the time being rotate the balding tires and replace them next year. "Everyone" has told me that the axles could have "bent" from something as slight as a pothole or RR tracks... Can this be true?? I'm in Central IL and looking for someone honest, reliable and local to help me out.... Thanks Ps - the wife loves the TT life but after all this she is ready to "sell that POS" and forget it. Help
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
grimesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
MI Camperz

I would start by calling my insurance company for the axle repair and other miss hap repairs. That's what insurance is for, right?
Then you can start over with a newly repaired camper and a few good lessons.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I would start by calling my insurance company for the axle repair and other miss hap repairs. That's what insurance is for, right?
Then you can start over with a newly repaired camper and a few good lessons.
Thanks thumbs
Believe it or don't I actually work for the insurance company that paid for the "pylon mishap"- since i don't have an "accident" to pin the axle problem to I don't have a claim.
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
MI Camperz

Well, didn't they say it was prolly from pot holes? That is a damage causing hazard......wouldn't that count? Sometimes accidents happen and we don't realize it at the time (grocery cart, parking ding, etc.) .....it's not like it's a lack of maintenance that would bend axles, right?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Well, didn't they say it was prolly from pot holes? That is a damage causing hazard......wouldn't that count? Sometimes accidents happen and we don't realize it at the time (grocery cart, parking ding, etc.) .....it's not like it's a lack of maintenance that would bend axles, right?
I hear ya, but I've already spoken to our claims manager and it's a "not gona happen" - I think I shot myself in the foot when I explained the situation.
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

Your fairly close to FR. I would give them a call and ask what can be done. Lippert may be able to help as well. Just ask them to help and keep a good attitude and it may cost some money but better than the alternative of full price. I would say worth your time to investigate.

From what I have seen, they are very willing to help especially when you bring it to them.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Your fairly close to FR. I would give them a call and ask what can be done. Lippert may be able to help as well. Just ask them to help and keep a good attitude and it may cost some money but better than the alternative of full price. I would say worth your time to investigate.

From what I have seen, they are very willing to help especially when you bring it to them.
Already spoke to Angie at FR (parts manager) she gave me the price on 2 new axles - $500 per. Besides shipping me 2 new axles - not sure what FR could do for me.
What / Who is Lippert?
Thanks
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Lippert is the frame company. Plead to them asking if they can help with a reduced price. Let them know you are willing to pay and are not asking for a handout.

lci1.com
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Lippert is the frame company. Plead to them asking if they can help with a reduced price. Let them know you are willing to pay and are not asking for a handout.

lci1.com
Thanks!!!
I'll look them up later today!
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

I would also go with a slightly heavier axle since you are changing them. Instead of 3500lbs use 5000 lbs axles. Normally lug patterns are the same on the 5 lug axles. Also a good heavy truck alignment shop may be able to realign.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood36322 View Post
I would also go with a slightly heavier axle since you are changing them. Instead of 3500lbs use 5000 lbs axles. Normally lug patterns are the same on the 5 lug axles. Also a good heavy truck alignment shop may be able to realign.
Thanks!!!
I'll look into heavier axles when ordering

I found trailer repair shop nearby (semi tractor trailers) they said "bring it by"
Thanks again!!
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

I had a bent spindle on an axle manufactured by ALCO. I am at a loss how this could have occurred since I don't remember hitting anything like a pot hole or curb.

With my 2 year warranty FR went to bat for me with ALCO and they agreed to sell me an axle at a cost of $80 vs. the normal $500. Of course, I still have to pay labor charges.

It doesn't hurt to ask!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
I had a bent spindle on an axle manufactured by ALCO. I am at a loss how this could have occurred since I don't remember hitting anything like a pot hole or curb.

With my 2 year warranty FR went to bat for me with ALCO and they agreed to sell me an axle at a cost of $80 vs. the normal $500. Of course, I still have to pay labor charges.

It doesn't hurt to ask!
Thanks for the info!!
I'll definitely be trying that route. Sounds like my issue exactly.
I think however I only have a one year warranty.
But it's worth a shot.
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

Unfortunately, Lippert does not have the best of reputations for stepping up to the plate and fixing things. Check out Google. They tend to blame the owner for overloading, driving through potholes and the like. We have a brand spanking new TT with a Lippert frame. The day after we bought it, we discovered that 5 out of 6 spring hangers are bent. One is bent 1/2" out of vertical. Lippert can't say we abused it somehow, that's for sure. Still waiting to hear from our dealer how Lippert is going to deal with this. Funny thing is, the tech. at the dealer looked at several other trailers on their lot and they all have the same problem!! What the heck?

Perhaps axles could be bent from day one?? I've heard one explanation is that the drivers who deliver these from the plants don't always drive them carefully.

OP, if you are still within warranty, you should start a paper trail to be able to prove when you found your problem. Otherwise, unfortunately, it might just be easier to fix it yourself. Be glad you don't have a cracked frame like some have had.

From Lippert's website "Our quality program flows through ever facet of our product develeopment lifecycle. We are dedicated to supplying the highest quality products to our customers because if they aren't happy we're not happy!" Right. Two out of two TTs for us have had Lippert problems. I know we aren't alone.

Oh, the joys of owning an RV. Almost seems like if you don't have at least one problem of some kind, you got lucky. Last (and first) TT had problems with the brakes and Lippert that took over a year to fix. Turned out the brakes were faulty from the factory.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
DDC

I hope you have looked under the unit from the rear and checked that the axles have been mounted properly from the factory, when you look you will see the axles are bowed ' banana like' the mid-part of the bow should be high 'arc up' if it is down the axles have been installed up-side down and this would cause the tire wear you describe.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I hope you have looked under the unit from the rear and checked that the axles have been mounted properly from the factory, when you look you will see the axles are bowed ' banana like' the mid-part of the bow should be high 'arc up' if it is down the axles have been installed up-side down and this would cause the tire wear you describe.
Thanks DDC!
I'll check that as well!
Unfortunately I have to store my TT about 40 miles away and not always convenient to go check things but I will definitely look at that.
Thanks again!
Is that "common" by the way?
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #17

DDC, how much of a bow should there be? I looked at our axles and held up a 6' straightedge and they were pretty straight. I'd have to get some gauges out to see if there is a bow or not.

Is there a purpose of having a bow? Is it to preload the axle so that the weight of the trailer moves the spindles to a static position? Just curious....

Hopefully this does not mean if there is no perceptible bow that the axles have not become "un-bowed" during transit to the dealer.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #18

The bow is for when the axles are loaded and then flex straight.

Just remember that places like Lippert and FR get attacked every day so going at them mad to begin with will likely get you nowhere.

I know that it seams rather backwards but to get a resolution it will pay to be calm and if the offer from either of these companies is not good then you know what you have to do.

I can tell you that I would rather get it done right and get to camping instead of being frustrated and not camping spending time fighting with people who will not help with the problem.

Hope all turns out well.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
DDC

The bow should be visible, it's not a bend just a bow and like Lynkage said it adjusts with the load. It is not common but I have seen it four times before and two of them were in the UK so it's not just a lippert thing.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote