Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Best campgrounds in kansas, colo. &wyoming

newbie here,
I will be traveling in kansas, colorado, and wyoming this June.
Where are the best places to camp?
What can I expect pricewise?
We have a 28 ft bumper pull.
papadawg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Can't help you with any specific campground, but this web site might help you; RV Park Reviews :: Home
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

We usually use this campground just south of Salina at least once a year. If not for anything else, it's off the beaten path (no road noise), and the family that runs it is so darn nice. And for us it's just over 400 miles from Denver area.

RV Park Reviews :: Assaria, Kansas ( KS ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

In Colorado, we like Spruce Lake in Estes Park and Garden of the Gods Campground in Colorado Springs.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

thanks to both of you for the info
papadawg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

IMO the only place to camp in Colo or Wyom is in the National Forest Service campgrounds. There are several that surround Rocky Mountain National Park in Colo. We like going West of Ft. Collins. Awesome camping and hiking. In Wyom, I would recommend the Big Horns. We go there as often as we can. Not crowded, no bugs, cool at night, low humidity. In other words, perfect! Most elevations are 6,000 to 9,000 feet. Great place to bring your telescope! You can't believe the stars at night.

There are books out there that have a complete list, description, location information on all National Forest Service campgrounds in the U.S. I'd recommend getting one.

These campgrounds are mostly more primitive; no electricity, vault toilets; and sometimes you have to hand pump your water and carry it. If you stay more than 2 or 3 days, you will need a generator to re-charge.

But what beauty and peace! We can hike all day and never meet another living soul.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

Our favorite in KS is Melvern Outlet Park, it is a Corp of Engineers Park at Melvern Lake on Hwy 75 around 50 miles South of Topeka, need reservations most of the time. We have stayed at Ridgeway State Park in Ridgeway CO and it is a very nice park.

What area of KS and CO will you be going thru. We have looked at a lot of parks in KS that we have not stayed in yet and have filed away in our RV data for future use? Let us know what highways and areas you will be wanting to stay in and maybe we can provide some info.

Let's all keep talking RVing.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

My family and I go to lake Wilson in Kansas. It's west of Salina and just north of the Wilson exit on I-70. They have both State and Federal parks to camp in, great fishing, bike and walking trails, swimming beachs and much more. If being by the water is not your thing, Sylvin Grove park on the back side of the dam is nice also. Lots of shade tree's and wildlife. All parks have electric and water hookups or primitive camping. We spend most of our summer camping, my wife is a teacher so her and the kids pretty much live up there and I go back in forth to work. Its about 45 min. from where we live. Camping cost 8 to 10 dollars with electric and water hookups extra, also 8 to 10 dollars each. We also just got a FR 365 saq sandpiper last week and can't wait to get to the lake this spring. Hope to maybe see ya there this year.
The Schneweis Family.
ks1961apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
On The Road from CO

If you want to visit a beautiful spot along the Arkansas River, Peaceful Valley RV Park in in Howard, CO, about an hour due west of Canon City on CO Rt 50 (about two hours west from Pueblo off I-25)--it's a lovely drive through Bighorn Canyon to get there, and it's off the road enough that you don't hear traffic, but right across the river. They have a website--it's about average price and has all services--we park there for the summer and go most long weekends (and some weekdays since we have a flexible schedule). It's near some great hiking, fishing and rafting spots.
KStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

If you are going to cross Kansas on I70 there is a campground in the middle of the state that is about a mile off the interstate on a paved road and very accessible by any size camper day or night. It may be a bit pricey at $29 a night for full hookups but it is convenient and has a store, pool, lake and more. I live in the SE corner of Kansas and sometimes stop there on the way out west.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Wanderluster

Need Input

Well, a previous poster mentioned a campground in the middle of Kansas... what I wonder is what town, exit, anything to help figure out where that campground in the middle of Kansas is a mile off I70.

On the original topic... I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the states official tourism pages before you start to decide where to camp. The states you mention are BIG. Colorado has thousands of places to camp from the flatlands to the mountains. Besides US Forest Service offerings, there are also state wildlife areas, BLM, Colorado has some fabulous state parks, and the national parks there are pretty nice as well.

Wyoming? Well you could start at Devil's Tower, head on over to Yellowstone, south to the Tetons, down to the Snowy Range...

Kansas? Dodge City might be right up your alley. Perhaps you like OZ... check out Liberal to see Dorthory and Toto's home.

Here are links to the official states tourism info and some camping info as well.

Kansas - Kansas Camping
Colorado - Colorado Camping
Wyoming - Wyoming Camping

You will be heading into some of the most beautiful country in the US of A.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #11

If Casper Wy is on your route there is a KOA that is not bad but is basically a gravel lot. If you venture south west of town toward Alcova there are lots of sites run by the county.

Check this thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ming-6009.html

If you are in the northern part off I25 in Buffalo, there is a nice RV park right in town called Indian Campground. Clean with lots of shade.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
If you are going to cross Kansas on I70 there is a campground in the middle of the state that is about a mile off the interstate on a paved road and very accessible by any size camper day or night. It may be a bit pricey at $29 a night for full hookups but it is convenient and has a store, pool, lake and more. I live in the SE corner of Kansas and sometimes stop there on the way out west.
I guess I wasn't thinking when I posted this. The name of the campground is Sundowner West and it is about 10 miles west of Salina, Kansas on I70. Also, the times I have stopped there have been in July and August and though hot during the day it has always cooled off by dark and had a nice breeze.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote