Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Best credit card

Been studying this online for several days, decided to see if anyone has legit info on this. I知 looking for a credit card to replace my AmEx gold. It was fine when I was working and traveling around the world, but now retired and the yearly fee is going to $250, which I can no longer justify. I知 looking for a card to use mostly on gas and groceries, don稚 care about interest rate as it will be paid off monthly, have no balance to transfer, and want to be able use my points on Amazon purchases as I did my AmEx. Anyone with similar circumstances have a card to recommend?

cltskybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Check with your local bank or credit union. We bank at SunTrust and they have some very good credit card rewards programs.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltskybear View Post
Been studying this online for several days, decided to see if anyone has legit info on this. I知 looking for a credit card to replace my AmEx gold. It was fine when I was working and traveling around the world, but now retired and the yearly fee is going to $250, which I can no longer justify. I知 looking for a card to use mostly on gas and groceries, don稚 care about interest rate as it will be paid off monthly, have no balance to transfer, and want to be able use my points on Amazon purchases as I did my AmEx. Anyone with similar circumstances have a card to recommend?
I still travel a lot and use IHG Rewards Club Mastercard. Have no idea what the interest rate is because I pay it off every month. I use it for everything and it earns points that can be used in various ways. You should be able to redeem points for Amazon gift cards, no idea how many points it would take though.
YardDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

I have two. Citi Double Cash Card gives me 1% cash reward on purchases and then 1% cash reward on all payments. Essentially 2% cash reward. The last time we went to Disneyworld, it almost paid for our entire trip.

I still have the Citi card for personal use but for my business, I went with the Capital One Spark Card. 2% cash on all purchases but if you spend $4500 on purchases in the first three months, you get a free $500 bonus. Downfall is an annual fee of $95 after the first year.

Amazon money is nice, Disney reward money is nice. But cold hard cash is hard to beat. I can just ask for a check any time I want it or I can apply it toward my balance.

In a little over a year, we almost have enough rewards to go back to Disneyworld. Now if I just had the time!
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

We have a SAMS club master card. It pays back 5 percent on fuel, 3percent dining, and 2 percent everything else.
Campzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Citi bank card thru Costco no annual fee
cash back in Feb each year for Jan to Dec purchases
4% fuel purchases anywhere plus great gas prices at Costco
3% travel and restaurants
2% Costco purchases
1% everything else...

Of course you have to pay $120/yr to be a Costco Member

Use the Amazon store CC for amazon only purchases and get 5% applied to your account each month on accounts in good standing.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the info..looking at the IHG and Sam’s cards, a retailer specific card is not what I really want. After a few more hours of research, I think I’m going to try the AmEx Everyday Preferred card. Seems it gives 3X on groceries and 2X on gas, with a 50% bonus if 30 purchases in a month...which we easily do. $95 yearly card fee sucks, but I do like the customer service at AmEx..plus they allow me to transfer all my gold card points to it. Thanks again, if I find this card to actually not do what I need, I’ll update and start over.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
Grammar Pedant

Bad place to ask. There are literally forums dedicated to credit cards. And, there are so many, that what's great for me would be so-so for you.

If I were on a credit card forum and people started asking about RVs, I'd recommend that they go somewhere else ... somewhere that was more focused on their needs. Same goes here.

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Bad place to ask. There are literally forums dedicated to credit cards. And, there are so many, that what's great for me would be so-so for you.

If I were on a credit card forum and people started asking about RVs, I'd recommend that they go somewhere else ... somewhere that was more focused on their needs. Same goes here.

Good luck.
True not a Forest River related thread. But the question did generate interest and several replies with options to assist. Lots of rv folks have retired and may be in the same boat. Folks ask all the time about what TV has the best picture, what brand of truck, or what motor is the best, ect... At the end of the day when the sun sets we are all the same. Just people enjoying rv life. To me all question are relevant in some way, otherwise they wouldn't have asked it on a site based on Forrest River. I'm a newbie so I could be way off base, but I thought the question was valid. Not trying to start a pissing contest, just giving my opinion.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

Well, it IS under the dollars and cents forum, and wanting the opinion of people that actually RV and use their cards for the same thing that I would use it for doesn’t sound unreasonable. I did do a fair amount of research, but I also know that there are cards out there that I had never heard of, but others may be using like the PenFed card. Never hurts to ask.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #11

There are lots of cards out there that you earn points or cash back and you don't have to pay any yearly fees. Keep looking.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #12
Grammar Pedant

Sorry. I didn't mean you couldn't ask here. Of course you can. You can ask anything you want. Legal advice. What home insurance is best. College opinions. You name it. Go ahead and ask. No harm. And, with this diverse crowd, you'll get some good insight. And, with any other anonymous forum, you'll get tons of terrible insight.

It's no different from people asking about Ford diesel engine maintenance advice here. Sure, you can get some insight here, because a lot of people own and use Ford diesel trucks. But, you'll get even better advice going to one of the Ford diesel forums.

Same with credit cards. Most people here will own one or more cards. They can give insight. But, if you want to know more about topic x, then I'll always recommend going to a forum that specializes in x.

Again, I didn't mean to shame the OP for asking. Just recommending that to get even better info, it might be a good idea to search elsewhere.

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #13

I agree with RSDATA and use the Costco visa myself. However, I was sooo disappointed they dropped AMEX that I also got a Wells Fargo visa with 1.5% cash back and use this the the most - sorry, not sorry Costco. The cash back amount is shown online with my accounts and I can redeem it right there by moving it to savings, checking, etc...right now I use the Costco visa mostly for gas to get 4% and Costco purchases for 2%. Unfortunately, I have to wait until February for my cash back, but they literally put cash in your hand at Costco.

Also AMEX has some no fee cards that look good. I知 still thinking about the Charles Schwab AMEX
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltskybear View Post
I’m looking for a card to use mostly on gas and groceries, don’t care about interest rate as it will be paid off monthly, have no balance to transfer, and want to be able use my points on Amazon purchases as I did my AmEx. Anyone with similar circumstances have a card to recommend?
Since we buy a lot of rv supplies on Amazon, I think this thread is rv related.
We have a couple of cards that allow you to use points on Amazon - Discover and Citi. We also pay off monthly.

However, since I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa card gives me 5% rewards on Amazon purchases and you can use the rewards points on Amazon. (It's a Chase card which can be used anywhere.) For your gas, it's 2% cash back. I think you have to be a Prime member. Discover is now doing the 5% for Oct. - Dec. I'm too cheap to pay an annual fee to charge.

Most will tell you in advance if you can apply the credit on Amazon purchases.
EDIT: Check out this page
https://www.amazon.com/compare-credi...ode=3561432011

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #15

Enjoy your reward cards while you can. Alot of retailers are looking at limiting what can be used because of the high swipe fees involved with them.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

I like my Chase Sapphire Preferred. The annual fee is 95 bucks, but is worth it for me with the no international exchange fees for traveling abroad. I like having a human being speaking proper english answer the phone almost instantly when I call, not having a 'please wait for the next available agent'.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Alot of retailers are looking at limiting what can be used because of the high swipe fees involved with them.
Kroger grocery stopped taking credit cards last month... only debit cards accepted.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Kroger grocery stopped taking credit cards last month... only debit cards accepted.
California only?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ard/881228002/

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's a shame. I use my card for everything I possibly can, build up points.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
California only?
I live in the Cincinnati area, Kroger's home town... started sometime in the last 60 days. They will take my bank debit card.

2014 Shamrock 183