2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Honda CRV

Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Towed my 2011 Ford Escape 15k miles with no problems. The Escape is certified to flat tow up until 4/2012. I looked at the GAC Terrain which I liked, but they were pricey.

BTW, you just put it in neutral and go.

Happy Trails, Forrest
Is yours a Hybrid? We had a 2010 Escape and burned up the transmission towing it. Although it was clearly marked as towable, Ford told us not to tow it anymore after they replaced the transmission. Now we tow a 2013 Ford Focus (automatic) and haven't had any problems.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Jeep Wrangler, without a doubt. I also recommend the Invisibrake in the Wrangler. Works great! What makes the Wrangler so good to tow? It's like they built it to tow. No need to disconnect the battery or pull any fuses. Steering doesn't lock, so no keys needed. Short wheelbase (even on the four door) makes it behave well. Lots of fun when you get where you're going. Just slap the transfer case into neutral and put the transmission in park. I got a light kit the just plugged into the factory harness, no diodes, splicing or extra bulbs required.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Jeep Wrangler, without a doubt. I also recommend the Invisibrake in the Wrangler. Works great! What makes the Wrangler so good to tow? It's like they built it to tow. No need to disconnect the battery or pull any fuses. Steering doesn't lock, so no keys needed. Short wheelbase (even on the four door) makes it behave well. Lots of fun when you get where you're going. Just slap the transfer case into neutral and put the transmission in park. I got a light kit the just plugged into the factory harness, no diodes, splicing or extra bulbs required.
So, is that automatic? And what's the weight of it?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #16

Jeep Wrangler hardtop for me. Don't even know it's there. If I'm coastal and want to cruise, "T" tops come off. If I'm in the mountains or desert and want to hit the trails, also good to go. The automatic flat tows without a key in the ignition by starting her up, putting the transmission into neutral, putting the transfer case into neutral, putting transmission into park, then shuttimg her off. Transfer case in neutral disengages drive shafts. Terrible gas mileage though, that's no lie :-)
Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

Used the Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit, $36 off Amazon, easiest install ever.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I concur!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
7 Year Class A RV'er

SkipnTerri: Yes, automatic. We have the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) hardtop, 2014 Sport model. Weight is about 4,100#. Our 340 hp Legacy pulls it through the TN and GA mountains like it's not even there and we get 10 mpg when towing. Anyone has some good points, too. Very versatile and just flat fun to drive.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #20

FLAT TOW

We have a 2014 Georgetown with the V10 and went through the same questions until we decided on a Lincoln MKX at first we were looking for a Ford Edge but this was a couple years older and like new so we went for it. It tows like it is not even there tracks great and roomy and comfy when you get to your location. But regardless of what you choose go with the Blue Ox tow bar its a little more than most but look what you have to loose. The bracket that installs on the car wasn't difficult the company gives great instructions and when complete you don't even know its there. Suggestion is look at all the cars/trucks vs prices and what you have to do to tow, some you have to pull fuses some disconnect battery some startup every so many miles some you have to install separate pump. I selected the lincoln/edge because you do nothing, hope some of this helps.

Tags
tow vehicle