Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
I live in Michigan, I found that the best time of the year for us to buy is in February because we have a major show in Wixom every year. The deals they give you on floor models is about the best you will find around here. I bought a FR 30 foot TT in 2011, it was a 2012 model that listed for $32,000. I got it taxes plates and all out the door for $22,000. It had all the goodies like electric leveling, electric slide out, electric awning etc. It also had the heated underbelly so you could camp in cold weather. I'm not one bit sorry.

I would personally never buy a show camper. I get antsy when kin are in my camper. No way I'd buy one that'd had hundreds of strangers in it. On top of that, I've never seen a show deal that would come close to what I could buy from RVW for any day of the week.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #22

Well we went to the dealer tonight. Looked at a loaded 2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS that they had MSRP at $29,206. They brought the price down to $19,991.

It did have everything we were looking for. Colors may not be exactly what my wife liked. But she was still very happy with it. Told them that we liked it, but wanted to see what the dealer down the road had. He came back and knocked off a little bit more.

Total came down to $19,841 + 1,038.87 tax + $208.50 doc fee.

They offered $5k for my Roo. The offer was honestly better than I imagined they would. I think I payed around $7,000-$7,500 for it.

We ended up walking out with just putting a $200 hold on it. Wanted to make sure it is exactly what we want and to make sure we feel like we got a good price.

See if I really want to hold onto it and sell it on Craigslist and deal with all the scammer/tire kickers. Or if I just be done with it now. I think i would probably only get $6,250 max out of it (I would imagine) but then I would have to pay taxes on the sale of it.

Going to try and hit another dealer this weekend. I'm seeing a lot of F.R. Cherokees Midwest 274DBH for sale at decent prices. Thoughts on those? Not sure if I am sold on the beige colors.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #23

RVW has a 2016 Canyon Trail 278DDS listed right now on the website that is the exact same floorplan for over $1k less than what your dealer is asking. And we're talking a year model newer and a fiberglass sided trailer! The equivalent of what you are looking at would be probably at least $2500 less at RVW and be a 2016. Plus you could get another $1k for yours on CL like you've already said. You can do a it of camping on $3500.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
RVW has a 2016 Canyon Trail 278DDS listed right now on the website that is the exact same floorplan for over $1k less than what your dealer is asking. And we're talking a year model newer and a fiberglass sided trailer! The equivalent of what you are looking at would be probably at least $2500 less at RVW and be a 2016. Plus you could get another $1k for yours on CL like you've already said. You can do a it of camping on $3500.
What is RVW?

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I would personally never buy a show camper. I get antsy when kin are in my camper. No way I'd buy one that'd had hundreds of strangers in it. On top of that, I've never seen a show deal that would come close to what I could buy from RVW for any day of the week.
I guess you know Every worker at F/R who put your RV together? Ours were built by all Strangers! Youroo!!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
What is RVW?

RVWholealers. They are a dealer in Lakeview OH that does a lot of Internet sales. They are also active here on the forums. www.rvwholesalers.com
Old 10-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I guess you know Every worker at F/R who put your RV together? Ours were built by all Strangers! Youroo!!

I don't know who built my truck I just bought either but I don't want one that's been on dozens of test drives and already has some mileage racked up. It's like buying a demo car. A dealer will NEVER sell a demo car cheaper than you can get a brand new one for if you know how to negotiate because they are still going to make money on it. And "demo" is just another word for used in my book. Like I said, you can save money over show prices with RVW anyway, so why pay more for an RV that has had who knows how many people in it slamming doors and cabinets, sitting on the furniture and who knows what all else??? You know how many people at an RV show are clueless and are yanking on the fridge door to get it open without knowing to push the release or try to open cabinets by yanking like crazy on them because they don't know to lift up or how many "oversized" people free fall from a standing position onto a couch on a slide??? It's just scary!!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Well we went to the dealer tonight. Looked at a loaded 2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS that they had MSRP at $29,206. They brought the price down to $19,991.

It did have everything we were looking for. Colors may not be exactly what my wife liked. But she was still very happy with it. Told them that we liked it, but wanted to see what the dealer down the road had. He came back and knocked off a little bit more.

They offered $5k for my Roo. The offer was honestly better than I imagined they would. I think I payed around $7,000-$7,500 for it.

We ended up walking out with just putting a $200 hold on it. Wanted to make sure it is exactly what we want and to make sure we feel like we got a good price.

See if I really want to hold onto it and sell it on Craigslist and deal with all the scammer/tire kickers. Or if I just be done with it now. I think i would probably only get $6,250 max out of it (I would imagine) but then I would have to pay taxes on the sale of it.

Going to try and hit another dealer this weekend. I'm seeing a lot of F.R. Cherokees Midwest 274DBH for sale at decent prices. Thoughts on those? Not sure if I am sold on the beige colors.

If your within a 1000 dollars on what you get for trade and what you can sell outright do the numbers. When you trade in that reduces sale price then that reduces sales tax. Depending on sales tax in your state you may not be out much to avoid the hassle of selling it.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #29
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:

That seems like a good deal, although just a suggestion, make sure that your wife loves everything about the trailer or you are going to be buying a new one in a year or two.

Hold out for the one you love, even if it might cost $1,000 or $2 more because in the long run you will keep it.

That is how we ended up going to a 32ft bunkhouse from a 19ft hybrid. We absolutely fell in love with it, everything my wife was dreaming of in a trailer, including cute colors and patterns in the upholstery.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #30

Quote:
But my question is, is the fall/winter the best time to buy or wait till spring? When do most dealers have their bigger sales?

Need to try and get a value on our camper as well. Only owe $250 on it, so getting loan repaid or paid off before won't be a problem. Would you recommend trade-in? We are going to go look back at the same dealer we bought it from.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. - Thanks
We bought our 2 last RV's, a TT and a 5W, both in the fall. If you don't mind a left over floor model, up here, we can get our best prices right now. Sales are slow and they want to get rid of the 15's for room for 16's.

As far as trading in, just realize you will get less, but not have to deal with trying to sell your own. Selling on your own can be a pain, and a big bother if you don't store at home or have room for 2 trailers. Some people are lucky, but we all know and have seen trailers for sale for a long time before being sold.

Quote:

Not sure I follow here "but then I would have to pay taxes on the sale of it"? You don't have to pay taxes on something you sell (at less than your original purchase price). The buyer pays the taxes on it.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote