Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #31

Quote:
RVW has a 2016 [Gulf Stream] Canyon Trail 278DDS... that is the exact same floorplan for over $1k less... a year model newer and a fiberglass sided trailer
Gulf Stream is not a FR brand so you are not comparing apples to apples... Different company, different plant, different workers, different assembly process used, etc., etc.... IMO you should not order any TT online just from pictures... You need to spend some time in the model you are buying - even if you order it from elsewhere...

In early 2014 we went to RV shows & RV dealers to look at just about every 1 & 2-slide bunkhouse available. At the time, the FR products in this price-range appeared to have better fit & finish but we were still dissatisfied with the stick & tin bunkhouse models in the $20K range. Even though we tow with a 2500, we needed to keep the empty weight under 6,500 so we would have some wiggle-room for all of our gear...

Most of the wholesalers do not carry FR's Prime Time line, but we were most impressed with the 2-slide PT Tracer 3150 which only weighed 6,500 empty... New, they were around $27K but we found a used one for around $20K. That 2nd slide-out for the bunkroom is wonderful! Our 3 boys have their own living space & changing area vs. a small aisle between bunks... My Ram 2500 only has the 5.7 Hemi but I can tow this TT through the Smokies with ease.

I like that our TT is fiberglass over a welded alum. frame. We've been camping for 2 seasons without an issue. I'm not sure how long any modern TT will last, but ours seems well-built & as long as I don't allow any water leaks to form, I think we'll be good until the boys go to college...

2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Gulf Stream is not a FR brand so you are not comparing apples to apples... Different company, different plant, different workers, different assembly process used, etc., etc.... IMO you should not order any TT online just from pictures... You need to spend some time in the model you are buying - even if you order it from elsewhere...

In early 2014 we went to RV shows & RV dealers to look at just about every 1 & 2-slide bunkhouse available. At the time, the FR products in this price-range appeared to have better fit & finish but we were still dissatisfied with the stick & tin bunkhouse models in the $20K range. Even though we tow with a 2500, we needed to keep the empty weight under 6,500 so we would have some wiggle-room for all of our gear...

Most of the wholesalers do not carry FR's Prime Time line, but we were most impressed with the 2-slide PT Tracer 3150 which only weighed 6,500 empty... New, they were around $27K but we found a used one for around $20K. That 2nd slide-out for the bunkroom is wonderful! Our 3 boys have their own living space & changing area vs. a small aisle between bunks... My Ram 2500 only has the 5.7 Hemi but I can tow this TT through the Smokies with ease.

I like that our TT is fiberglass over a welded alum. frame. We've been camping for 2 seasons without an issue. I'm not sure how long any modern TT will last, but ours seems well-built & as long as I don't allow any water leaks to form, I think we'll be good until the boys go to college...

I had my last fleet wood for nine years and it was eight years old when I bought it. It was in great condition when I sold it. If you take care of TT they will last. The only reason we got new one is for a toy hauler to transport motorcycle.

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post

RVW carries several lines that are Forest River products if that's what you want. And they'll be thousands less than the quote the OP got.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
RVW carries several lines that are Forest River products if that's what you want. And they'll be thousands less than the quote the OP got.

They do not carry the Cherokee line. They do have several but they do not carry them all. Very little in toy hauler TT.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
They do not carry the Cherokee line. They do have several but they do not carry them all. Very little in toy hauler TT.

Canyon Cat and Puma lines would be most similar to the Cherokee. But the OP was talking about a basic aluminum sided TT of which RVW has many model lines to choose from.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #36

Quote:
If your within a 1000 dollars on what you get for trade and what you can sell outright do the numbers. When you trade in that reduces sale price then that reduces sales tax. Depending on sales tax in your state you may not be out much to avoid the hassle of selling it.
Yeah. I feel like this may be the case. While I do have the room an hour 1/2 north at our family farm, I'm not sure if I want to wait another + months to sell the camper. When I could just trade in the camper, take less than selling private, less sales tax, etc.. But I would have lower monthly payments by putting that towards the overall cost.

The more and more we take a look at the camper, the more we like it. We have done a lot searching online, but we haven't found anything that we like better. Were not giving up the search yet. But the "hold" we have on it lasts till the end of the week. We've already been to two other dealers in person but didn't find anything we liked - Price/Features/Layout.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post

Not sure I follow here "but then I would have to pay taxes on the sale of it"? You don't have to pay taxes on something you sell (at less than your original purchase price). The buyer pays the taxes on it.

Sorry about that. Had been drinking a little bit that night

What that should have said, was that we would be losing out on the sales tax savings from taking the $5k off of the new camper.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Sorry about that. Had been drinking a little bit that night

What that should have said, was that we would be losing out on the sales tax savings from taking the $5k off of the new camper.

Gotcha!

Good luck with your search.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #39

Best Time Of Year To Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Yeah. I feel like this may be the case. While I do have the room an hour 1/2 north at our family farm, I'm not sure if I want to wait another + months to sell the camper. When I could just trade in the camper, take less than selling private, less sales tax, etc.. But I would have lower monthly payments by putting that towards the overall cost.

The more and more we take a look at the camper, the more we like it. We have done a lot searching online, but we haven't found anything that we like better. Were not giving up the search yet. But the "hold" we have on it lasts till the end of the week. We've already been to two other dealers in person but didn't find anything we liked - Price/Features/Layout.

I was sort of in same boat in August. Was ready to go to Hershey show. But found the one I got from Ohio and it had everything I wanted and fit in the requirements for my tow vehicle. Finally after walking through a couple of manufacturers I decided on the 26rr TH. and did not wait to see stuff at show. Been to show before and knew ranges the show prices were compared to msrp. The price I got at the small dealer blew any projected saving/ discounts out of the water. I looked around for one week after and could not find any better anywhere else so we put it to ink and have not regretted since. Go with your gut.

Been camping 14 nights since August and have one more weekend this weekend before closing the year out.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #40

Best Time Of Year To Buy

Quote:
If your within a 1000 dollars on what you get for trade and what you can sell outright do the numbers. When you trade in that reduces sale price then that reduces sales tax. Depending on sales tax in your state you may not be out much to avoid the hassle of selling it.

This is true IF the price on the new one is the same trading versus buying without a trade. Often the price is inflated on the new to make one feel they are getting more for their trade. And the tax savings on a $5k trade is only going to be a few hundred dollars. I still contend that the OP is going to be spending several thousand more by going this route. Even if the OP lists the old camper at trade value- meaning it will likely sell very quickly and without much hassle, he will still have come out several thousand ahead by going with RVWholesalers.