Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It seems as though you have some issues with RVWholesalers in particular??? And there are a lot of forum members that would probably question your ability to "beat the pants off" of RVW.
No particular issues with them at all other than I have consistently received better pricing elsewhere. I have attempted to buy there every time I was looking for a trailer. I like to shop too.

I just had them quote ordering me a Roo23WS less than two weeks ago, using the current Rockwood option sheet so I was comparing Apples to Apples. I specifically asked in the request for them to give me their "lowest / best" price, so I assume they did that and did not go back to try and haggle. I was not interested in haggling with them. If you want to deal with me price it the way I ask. They were over a grand above the pricing I already had. I also obtained a quote the same way from a dealer 75 miles up the road from them that I am familiar with and he was better than a grand lower than my guy, which put him over 2K lower than RVW. There are also Shamrock 23WS's sitting at a dealer in Eastern PA for 2K less than the price quoted by them as I type this.

It wasn't worth it to me to buy at that distance for a grand in savings, I stayed with my original pricing mostly for the reason I do not want to be towing a new trailer across Ohio in December or January.

I'm not bashing them at all. You keep telling the OP to call them and he should. It sounds like he is from somewhere close as he already said he was 3 hours away from Lakeview. I'm just telling him he can more than likely do better in this region.

Do you work for them dustman? If you do send me a PM and if you can beat the price they already provided by enough I'll try and cancel the order with my guy and get my deposit back.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
No particular issues with them at all other than I have consistently received better pricing elsewhere. I have attempted to buy there every time I was looking for a trailer. I like to shop too.

I just had them quote ordering me a Roo23WS less than two weeks ago, using the current Rockwood option sheet so I was comparing Apples to Apples. I specifically asked in the request for them to give me their "lowest / best" price, so I assume they did that and did not go back to try and haggle. I was not interested in haggling with them. If you want to deal with me price it the way I ask. They were over a grand above the pricing I already had. I also obtained a quote the same way from a dealer 75 miles up the road from them that I am familiar with and he was better than a grand lower than my guy, which put him over 2K lower than RVW. There are also Shamrock 23WS's sitting at a dealer in Eastern PA for 2K less than the price quoted by them as I type this.

It wasn't worth it to me to buy at that distance for a grand in savings, I stayed with my original pricing mostly for the reason I do not want to be towing a new trailer across Ohio in December or January.

I'm not bashing them at all. You keep telling the OP to call them and he should. It sounds like he is from somewhere close as he already said he was 3 hours away from Lakeview. I'm just telling him he can more than likely do better in this region.

Do you work for them dustman? If you do send me a PM and if you can beat the price they already provided by enough I'll try and cancel the order with my guy and get my deposit back.
Like I said earlier, I feel like I was taken care of as a customer so I tell people to give them a shot. You did that and it didn't work out for you. The OP says he has checked them out and they didn't have exactly what he was looking for. Sounds like you've got one heck of a deal at your dealer! I will say this- watch out for the dreaded add on fees. I've never experienced it, but some have had horror stories of negotiating a great price just to have outrageous doc fees, PDI fees, etc. added on. Also, I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules for anyone to quote prices or sell anything on the forums. We do have people on the forums in official capacity like factory reps and dealership reps but I've never seen them offer any pricing or promote themselves for that reason. They are here simply to help with any issues we might be facing as owners or take care of customer service issues. It isn't unheard of for a competitor to bash other dealers on the Internet- which is what I was kind of thinking might be going on, especially since you are relatively new here. I'm not trying to question your integrity or start an argument, but when a relatively new person makes claims about a dealer that MANY on the forums are familiar with and praise, it does make one wonder. Assuming we aren't both full of poop, let's just leave it at this: Our experiences with RVW are vastly different. The OP has heard our stories and is free to make up his own mind.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #63

Quote:
I will say this- watch out for the dreaded add on fees. I've never experienced it, but some have had horror stories of negotiating a great price just to have outrageous doc fees, PDI fees, etc. added on.

That can happen but you have to let it. I have a written sales order listing everything. I have been to this dance a few times.

Quote:
Assuming we aren't both full of poop, let's just leave it at this: Our experiences with RVW are vastly different. The OP has heard our stories and is free to make up his own mind.
Agreed and we are most likely both full of it.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Shanks12 - greetings from just north in Noblesvillle. We purchased a Palomino Solaire 269 bhdsk from Mt Comfort rv last fall. Got a left over 2013 for a really good price, and even though haven't used them too much, Mt Comfort has been very good with service and questions post sale.

One other thought - be careful that you don't go too much bigger as you continue looking around, as you may not be happy with how your F150 handles a larger unit. I know the numbers look like you have plenty of room to go larger, but in my experience those numbers are deceiving.
Good luck!!!
Hey PurduePete (Boiler Up! ) We went over to Mt Comfort, but they didn't have any floorplans that we liked. At least better than the StarCraft. They seemed nice and friendly. I'll continue to check their stock.

We did have great after-sale service with Colerain. They got our camper in for service twice in the first 2 months that we owned it. And they paid for the issues themselves.

But I agree. That's why I am being careful keeping the weight down. And I've already told the Wife that we will be driving slower when heading out to camp since the camper will be longer/heavier.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
In 2011 when we purchased our Salem from Couch's RV, we had the picture window trim come off in transit and the Awning clips fail.

We stopped in at the Forest River Dealership in Southern Maine and they asked where we purchased the TT.
Big sticker on the side = dead giveaway

We were told that we could return with the trailer in 3 weeks (even where this was an emergency) and they could see about penciling it in. Or we could leave it and drive 6 hours + home and return 6 hours + in a month to get it but they wouldn't guarantee its security while on their site.

I was Pi$$3d to say the least.
I was at risk of having the picture window blow out of the trailer and or having the Awning haul out like a parachute...

the safety of others on teh road was my main concern. Even to have someone look at it and offer me a temp solution wasn't happening.

when i was starting to haul out of the lot a young employee (18 or 19) frantically was waving his arms behind us so I stopped.
He said that he couldn't let me out of the yard like this and had a roll of duct tape in his hand.
He returned about 45 minutes later with a ladder and we taped the awning carriages and the picture window trim. as i shook his hand and thanked him, some older male (when googled their business later at home found out it was the owner) was at the shop door ripping him a strip.

Some dealerships really hate people who safe a buck or thousands of Bucks.
These are not like cars that you can purchase in one city and have the manufacturer warranties upheld in another as easily.

When we got home teh Forest River dealership here refused to service the unit.
I've gone to another dealership after that and while it was in warranty had to pay up front and submit claims with my rep - which was fine.
At least we got service that was awesome
That is one thing that does slightly concern me. Maybe its not an issue or it just depends on the dealer. I do see that on their website that you can call ahead to F.R. and get an authorization number for a dealer near you. Doesn't mean that they will get you in before their own customers. But at least I know I should be able to get it near by versus taking it back to the dealer I purchased from.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
That is one thing that does slightly concern me. Maybe its not an issue or it just depends on the dealer. I do see that on their website that you can call ahead to F.R. and get an authorization number for a dealer near you. Doesn't mean that they will get you in before their own customers. But at least I know I should be able to get it near by versus taking it back to the dealer I purchased from.
Going by your location in your profile it may not be a big issue. Depending what FR brand you're looking at taking it 140 miles up the road to the factory for any required warranty work may be an option. I do not know if every FR brand offers that, and I also understand they all operate like separate companies.. I know that Rockwood does or at one time did offer it. I'm sure someone will confirm that one way or the other.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Going by your location in your profile it may not be a big issue. Depending what FR brand you're looking at taking it 140 miles up the road to the factory for any required warranty work may be an option. I do not know if every FR brand offers that, and I also understand they all operate like separate companies.. I know that Rockwood does or at one time did offer it. I'm sure someone will confirm that one way or the other.
Yeah, That's something that I didn't consider. Although I am pretty sure that is a further drive than back to the dealer in OH haha.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #68

- We actually just an offer on Craigslist for our camper. $5500 cash. Listed for $6800 to see if there would be any hits.

Maybe its all the news about bad transactions and scams on CL these days. Always weary of offers for cash in this amount.

Quote:
Hi my name is Mario, and I recently saw your travel trailer on craigslist. My family and I truly enjoy camping and would love to invest in this trailer. However, we only have $5,500 cash? Can you please consider this offer, and contact me via email or on my phone
Not sure if he is trying to be nice before offering $1300 less or what.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #69

Just be wary. I don't like the way he wrote that either. I have done a lot of deals, buys and selling on CL without a hiccup, but you cannot be too careful. Don't meet in any dark alley.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #70

What I told the people that called about my old trailer listed on CL that said up front first thing " is the listing price your best" or "what's the lowest you will take for it ". I said you can come and see it then once you have looked we can talk.

That eliminated a lot of tire kickers and buttheads that wanted to pay nothing and get you to commit to lower price then when they get there to try and get lower.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #71

Yeah I agree. I was pretty honest about the listing. Added any features and any issues it has. So hopefully that also eliminates some of those as well.

But I'll tell you. I have the worst luck. I went over this morning to storage to take some pictures of interior/exterior. And I found some water in the bathroom. It rained over night. Somewhere there is leak. Never had an issue prior to this. - Agh.

And the DW and I just told ourselves that we are going to get our Hold on the one camper back until we can see this other camper. We were only sent a build sheet and some photos from an Expo in 2015. So until we see it exactly we aren't going to rush into buying the one with the hold.

To much money not to be happy. Do it right the 2nd time

Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
What I told the people that called about my old trailer listed on CL that said up front first thing " is the listing price your best" or "what's the lowest you will take for it ". I said you can come and see it then once you have looked we can talk.

That eliminated a lot of tire kickers and buttheads that wanted to pay nothing and get you to commit to lower price then when they get there to try and get lower.
Buttheads Indeed
Quote:
But I'll tell you. I have the worst luck. I went over this morning to storage to take some pictures of interior/exterior. And I found some water in the bathroom. It rained over night. Somewhere there is leak. Never had an issue prior to this. - Agh.
If I was a betting man......................which I am.............Skylight? Notorious for the sealant cracking around the roof flange but easy to fix.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #73

It was dark by the time I got here, but I think that was the issue. I had the camper almost perfectly level and I think water just sat there. I tipped it up and let the water run off, Dried the inside and then came back to check on it later and there was no more water. So now just need to let things dry and seal it up.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #74

Well I got the camper leak fixed. Just patched a few weak spots.

Also just had a person from Craigslist put down a deposit. Basically sold. Not a ton more than our original offer from the dealer. But enough that I felt comfortable saying price was good. Sold it for $6k but had to throw in the WD hitch.

Gives me some freedom to think about the camper we want next. Instead of trying to figure out how much we are going to get for the old one...

Old 10-31-2015, 11:58 PM   #75

My neighbor brought up a good question.. Since I've never bought anything this large out of state -- assuming I buy the 2016 we are looking at --

How does the sales tax work? Do I get charged OH sales tax then come back to IN and get charged again when putting a plate on camper?

I don't know how that works.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #76

Quote:
My neighbor brought up a good question.. Since I've never bought anything this large out of state -- assuming I buy the 2016 we are looking at --

How does the sales tax work? Do I get charged OH sales tax then come back to IN and get charged again when putting a plate on camper?

I believe at purchase you would not pay sales tax unless the dealer has some kind of store in your home state. I would think you would get charged tax when you register the camper. Dealer should provide some kind of temporary plate.

That's how it would work in NY at least. Everyone wants their money.

'16 Cherokee 274DBH
'09 F150 Supercrew
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #77

Quote:

It varies. IF they charge you sales tax out of State, your in State will only charge you the difference between the out of State rate and your in State rate (you have to provide proof of course that you paid it). IE, if you pay 4% out of State and your in State is 6%, you have to pay the extra 2% when you register the trailer. Generally the States reciprocate the taxes to each other.

Best to do is ask up front of the dealer, what taxes will you owe being from the State you are from. Then call another dealer in the same State you are buying from and ask again, to verify.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #78

Quote:

I just bought my TT in August from Surburban Rv in Mansfield Ohio. I live in Pa. I had to sign a paper at the dealer that stated I knew and would pay my sales tax to Pennsylvania. I received 90 day plates from Ohio from the dealer which gave me enough time to receive my Ohio title for the camper to go to my dmv and title it in PA and register. It was quite easy and the only extra cost was paying title fee in both states. I think it was not more than 40 to 80 dollars. Well worth the thousands I saved on exactly the trailer I wanted.

Just returned from another extended weekend trip. Might squeeze one more in. 🎉
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #79

Good to know. I'll definitely talk with the OH dealer before going to see it. Want to make sure I know the full scope of what I will be paying for before making the drive.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #80

Here in Montana we have no sales tax so if it is going to be licensed in Montana where we live than other states honor this.. We are buying a new motorhome in Idaho today but are not being charged tax since it will be licensed in Montana..

So basically they go by you home address for taxes..
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote