Old 10-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #51

After seeing pics of that 2016 Salem Hemisphere 272BH (27BH) we are a bit torn. We can't quite make up our minds on which camper we like better.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #52
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
After seeing pics of that 2016 Salem Hemisphere 272BH (27BH) we are a bit torn. We can't quite make up our minds on which camper we like better.
Those are two different trailers that is for sure....My suggestion as I said previously is go with the one you love even if it is more money.....you will be happy for many more years that way!!

1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
Those are two different trailers that is for sure....My suggestion as I said previously is go with the one you love even if it is more money.....you will be happy for many more years that way!!
Yeah I agree. Some features we like on the StarCraft better, but same with the Salem

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #54

Actually get inside trailers. When I was looking I was looking at a Skyline Layton 275rc Toy Hauler, and a Cherokee Grey wolf 22rr. I got into both and hard to believe the build quality was better in the Cherokee than the Layton. The Layton had some feature we liked or thought we needed fiberglass sides, electric stabilizer jacks, regular queen size bed. But the Cherokee had some features the Layton did not have better space allocation. Multi directional antenna, both had fiberglass walls.

Of course when we went inside the 22 rr it seemed not as exciting as pics. The dealer had a 26rr on lot and we went into that one and loved the trailer. It was much more roomy and open floor plan. We went back and forth between trailers and decided on the 26rr. So physically go into any trailer and see how you feel in it. Open doors windows play with electronics sit on the furniture close curtains. See how lighting is. . Most good dealers will hook up to power if your really interested. A lot of floor plans between different lines are the same but you do notice a difference once you get inside.

Make sure WIFE is happy and excited about choice! We all know that's a major factor👍the Cherokee grey wolf 274dbh has the same floor plan as the hemisphere. I bet each one feels different when you get inside the rig. Happy hunting.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Yep. They had some similar. But when spending the money I am going to be picky . - It took me over 6 months of hard looking before I ever bought my truck

I like some things on some campers, but wish it had features of another.. I wish I could combine the best features of a few brands and put them in one haha.

But I agree, I am willing to tell everyone about a good experience. But believe me, I have done hours upon hours of searching everything within an hour to hours away. Right now I still really like the StarCraft, but how looking at a 2016 Salem Hemisphere 272BH (27BH) from the wholesaler.

You are definitely right about this. Every time we've bought one it was missing something that another had we really liked. We've always had to get the one that had the most things we wanted. The search for the elusive perfect camper continues!😃
Old 10-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Make sure WIFE is happy and excited about choice! We all know that's a major factor👍.

You can say that again. My wife loves camping- but she wouldn't if she wasn't comfortable and didn't like the trailer.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
You can get any repairs you need done under warrantee at any FR dealer. You can go on the website and find one in your area. I bought mine in Ohio and had choice of three dealers in the area to do the warrantee work. May take a bit to get it in the first time because some dealers do the repairs of people who bought at that dealership first. Bought mine in August and will go for warrantee repairs next month after I'm done camping. The FR warrantee department is great in helping you out.
In 2011 when we purchased our Salem from Couch's RV, we had the picture window trim come off in transit and the Awning clips fail.

We stopped in at the Forest River Dealership in Southern Maine and they asked where we purchased the TT.
Big sticker on the side = dead giveaway

We were told that we could return with the trailer in 3 weeks (even where this was an emergency) and they could see about penciling it in. Or we could leave it and drive 6 hours + home and return 6 hours + in a month to get it but they wouldn't guarantee its security while on their site.

I was Pi$$3d to say the least.
I was at risk of having the picture window blow out of the trailer and or having the Awning haul out like a parachute...

the safety of others on teh road was my main concern. Even to have someone look at it and offer me a temp solution wasn't happening.

when i was starting to haul out of the lot a young employee (18 or 19) frantically was waving his arms behind us so I stopped.
He said that he couldn't let me out of the yard like this and had a roll of duct tape in his hand.
He returned about 45 minutes later with a ladder and we taped the awning carriages and the picture window trim. as i shook his hand and thanked him, some older male (when googled their business later at home found out it was the owner) was at the shop door ripping him a strip.

Some dealerships really hate people who safe a buck or thousands of Bucks.
These are not like cars that you can purchase in one city and have the manufacturer warranties upheld in another as easily.

When we got home teh Forest River dealership here refused to service the unit.
I've gone to another dealership after that and while it was in warranty had to pay up front and submit claims with my rep - which was fine.
At least we got service that was awesome
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You are in "Wholesale Territory", it sounds like. Where I'm at they've always been able to do much better than my local dealers, but prices are sky high here in North Texas.
I wish Western PA was wholesale country.

My intent is not to knock RVW, but the word "Wholesale" is only a word in a name. Nowhere is this more true than the RV industry. Here in PA they would not be allowed to use "wholesale" in a name or in the advertising. To buy an RV at wholesale you would need to be buying directly from the manufacturer. The dealer may claim its wholesale but it's not. A dealer can choose to lower markup and profit to make a sale, and one dealer can get product at a lower price than another for a whole load of reasons from the manufacturer, but as soon as they sell it to you that's a retail transaction. The only place in the RV Industry where you're going to get "wholesale", actually less than wholesale, is when you trade in a unit.

I know of 3 dealers within the same radius from my home, 1 in PA, 1 in MD, 1 in OH that have consistently beaten RVW's prices and do not make any claims about wholesale. there are also a couple of dealers in MI I have talked to that will beat the pants off them. If one dealer can offer you a price on X, so can another.

Shanks 12, how close are you to Toledo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
These are not like cars that you can purchase in one city and have the manufacturer warranties upheld in another as easily.

When we got home teh Forest River dealership here refused to service the unit.
They put that "buy local" verbage on the back of every brochure for a reason.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I wish Western PA was wholesale country.

My intent is not to knock RVW, but the word "Wholesale" is only a word in a name. Nowhere is this more true than the RV industry. Here in PA they would not be allowed to use "wholesale" in a name or in the advertising. To buy an RV at wholesale you would need to be buying directly from the manufacturer. The dealer may claim its wholesale but it's not. A dealer can choose to lower markup and profit to make a sale, and one dealer can get product at a lower price than another for a whole load of reasons from the manufacturer, but as soon as they sell it to you that's a retail transaction. The only place in the RV Industry where you're going to get "wholesale", actually less than wholesale, is when you trade in a unit.

I know of 3 dealers within the same radius from my home, 1 in PA, 1 in MD, 1 in OH that have consistently beaten RVW's prices and do not make any claims about wholesale. there are also a couple of dealers in MI I have talked to that will beat the pants off them. If one dealer can offer you a price on X, so can another.

Shanks 12, how close are you to Toledo?

They put that "buy local" verbage on the back of every brochure for a reason.
One of the major problems with buying from a dealer that is a "local" dealer, but not local to you is that you're on your own when it comes to warranty. At least with a company like RVW they have dealers and independent repair shops they work with that can get you taken care of. It seems as though you have some issues with RVWholesalers in particular??? And there are a lot of forum members that would probably question your ability to "beat the pants off" of RVW. Am I saying it's impossible for their to be dealers out there that compete with them on price- nope. But it's not the norm in my experience- and I SHOP when I buy something. If someone is getting a better price than me, it's rare and not by much!!!!

I'll also add this: I completely agree with you that "If one dealer can offer you a price on X, so can another." That's the argument I made time and again at my local dealer when trying to get them to NOT try to make an extra $3-5K off of me. The problem is they WOULDN'T. EVERY single camper I've bought- 3 now since 2012- I've shopped local and NONE of them seemed interested in offering a good deal. I warned them that I'm the kind of guy that talks to people and they should really reconsider to no avail. That ignorant method of practicing business has now cost them ~12 sales during the past 4 years where I've sent friends, family and coworkers to RVW.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #60

Shanks12 - greetings from just north in Noblesvillle. We purchased a Palomino Solaire 269 bhdsk from Mt Comfort rv last fall. Got a left over 2013 for a really good price, and even though haven't used them too much, Mt Comfort has been very good with service and questions post sale.
One other thought - be careful that you don't go too much bigger as you continue looking around, as you may not be happy with how your F150 handles a larger unit. I know the numbers look like you have plenty of room to go larger, but in my experience those numbers are deceiving.
Good luck!!!

ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote