Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Best time to buy a Travel Trailer

I just wanted to get some opinions/feedback from other TT owners on when it would be the best time to buy to get the best price. Would it be at the RV shows? Would it be in Dec/Jan when the Dealers are slow and need to make a sale? What does the group think?
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

I was at the dealer shortly after a show in the area. They were slammed!
I would avoid that myself.
Maybe late Nov. or early Dec. when they could use some extra holiday cash from a sale!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

After you do your research and due diligence work about price, brand, etc. any day that is good for you. I have got great deals just by walking into a dealer just to "see" and hours later, I am a new camper owner.lol (I'm in my 6 Rv)
Here in central Florida it's always Rv season! In March after the snowbirds leave to get back home, you can find great deals in used rv's and/or overstock dealers. But if the deal is good, any day it's fine!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Site Team

we found that Oct.-Nov. was the best time, in our opinion.
because dealers want to get inventory down, before having lots of trailers sitting during the winter and to make room for next year's models, after winter was over.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses! We have decided on a 2014 Surveyor SCT 226-new model for this year.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
Thanks for the responses! We have decided on a 2014 Surveyor SCT 226-new model for this year.
Sure looks nice! What vehicle will you tow this with?
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

We have a Nissan Titan Crew Cab, 4X4
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
Like I said, any day it's a good one!lol

Congrats!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

First trailer we bought in fall of '08. Got an excellent deal. Current trailer was bought in June o this year. Again, excellent deal. I guess when it's time for the third trailer, we'll try winter. I find no consistency anymore as to when deals are run on trailers. Yes there are end of model year deals, but also various manufacturers and/or dealers will have a run of promotions.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #10

X2 for October or November! If you can make it in while there is snow on the ground even Better!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Always Learning

For those who are buying in the winter months, does that mean that you're losing a good chunk of your warranty period while the camper just sits for the winter?

Maybe it's not a problem/no different than a normal purchase - we bought in July, camped until November, ran south for 2 weeks in December, but then let it sit from January to April.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a previous year model at an RV show in the spring. About 1/3 off MSRP due to being the previous year model and a 5 year extended warranty thrown in as part of buying at the show.

But then again, we've been dealing with this dealer for 2 years now waiting for the right trailer to come along to meet our floor plan, weight and price guidelines. If you're willing to wait, a deal will usually come along.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #13

In Texas you can pretty much use it all year round so i dont think any time is better than the other. i have seen friends get the best deals in jan during or right after the local rv Show. i bought mine the end of june and got a good price
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #14

I would think right after you win the lottery is a real good time, now you might think that is a smart as* response but bear with me here, when we started looking 4 years ago we saw a brand new Airstream 34' with a slide out that was running just about 100,000. Now we would have loved to buy it but 100,000 !! so we bought a 28 safari for 46,000, but after a few outings we decided it was too small, so we traded it in on a $76,000 36 RE touring edition, well now we needed a bigger truck so off to Ford we go and buy a 2008 f250 diesel, have the hitch installed and a set of airbags for good measure, all set! well after driving it around for a few months we said " hey we don't need something this big, We should look at a super C" so off we go to the dealer and bought a $129,000 36' super c motorhome, now i don't need that big diesel pickup so off to the dealer we go and trade it in on a smaller dodge 1500. used the super c for about 6 months and thought gee we really don't like owning a house so lets sell it and move into the RV, so after a few weeks the house is under contract and we are living at Disney's fort wilderness in the super c, now the wife says " we need something bigger" so off to the dealer we go and buy...... ( can you guess?) A $89,000 36 Ckts, but we don't have truck so we have it delivered to fort wilderness, now life is great all the room in the world, no grass to cut, but after 4 months the wife says " I miss a house" so I find a house, we buy it and guess what, now i have to buy a truck to move the 36 CKTS, so off to the ford dealer i go and get a 2012 F350 DRW Diesel. So a few months go by and I struggle with parking the 36 CKTS and the wife thinks, well since we are not living in it any longer we can get something smaller so over to the dealer we go and buy a 2013 Aviator Wright Flyer. So to sum it up its best to buy an Rv right after you have won the lottery so you can but the one you want to start with.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
I would think right after you win the lottery is a real good time, now you might think that is a smart as* response but bear with me here, when we started looking 4 years ago we saw a brand new Airstream 34' with a slide out that was running just about 100,000. Now we would have loved to buy it but 100,000 !! so we bought a 28 safari for 46,000, but after a few outings we decided it was too small, so we traded it in on a $76,000 36 RE touring edition, well now we needed a bigger truck so off to Ford we go and buy a 2008 f250 diesel, have the hitch installed and a set of airbags for good measure, all set! well after driving it around for a few months we said " hey we don't need something this big, We should look at a super C" so off we go to the dealer and bought a $129,000 36' super c motorhome, now i don't need that big diesel pickup so off to the dealer we go and trade it in on a smaller dodge 1500. used the super c for about 6 months and thought gee we really don't like owning a house so lets sell it and move into the RV, so after a few weeks the house is under contract and we are living at Disney's fort wilderness in the super c, now the wife says " we need something bigger" so off to the dealer we go and buy...... ( can you guess?) A $89,000 36 Ckts, but we don't have truck so we have it delivered to fort wilderness, now life is great all the room in the world, no grass to cut, but after 4 months the wife says " I miss a house" so I find a house, we buy it and guess what, now i have to buy a truck to move the 36 CKTS, so off to the ford dealer i go and get a 2012 F350 DRW Diesel. So a few months go by and I struggle with parking the 36 CKTS and the wife thinks, well since we are not living in it any longer we can get something smaller so over to the dealer we go and buy a 2013 Aviator Wright Flyer. So to sum it up its best to buy an Rv right after you have won the lottery so you can but the one you want to start with.
We went to 4 rv's in 2 and 1/2 years! People like us keep the economy moving! And our bank accounts empty!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
I'd like to have the option to even think about doing all that! My bank account tells me that I'm happy with what I have!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Mine tells me I am happy with my Aviator, even though the wife thought i should get something bigger now that she has a 100 lb. huskita ( husky-akita mix) along with the pom. and the american eskimo dog. As far as having the bank account, if I did not spend all the extra funds on RV's she may have gone part time on me or worse, retire.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer