Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #21

I have found we get the best deals when the manufacturers are getting the new model year trailers on the lot. They want to get rid of the last years models and give some great deals. When we bought our pup 20 years ago we bought it off the lot and sold it 8 years later for 100.00 less than we paid for it. Then we bought our first travel trailer new off the lot no trade in and we got it for 8,000 below retail price and traded it in this summer and took a 6,000.00 dollar hit. But the new trailer we bought listed for 38,000 and the dealer sold it to us for 18,000.00 I don't know but if the dealer wants to sell the units and has new stock coming in he will sell it as long as he is making money.I checked with a few people I know that bought the exact same trailer as mine and I got it for anywhere from 12,000.00 to 6,000.00 less than any of the other people that had them. The best part of the new trailer was I walked into the dealer and told the wife what I wanted to get for our old trailer looking at the nada book and how much I wanted to spend on the new rig. Went into the office with the dealer he gave me the numbers and they were spot on what I wanted for my old camper and about 5,000.00 less than what I would have paid for the new one after searching online and talking to folks that bought the same rig. So I'm going to stick with go in when the new models are coming onto the lot.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #22

It's also amazing the difference between two dealers, we bought our toy hauler April of the year. Granted when I started looking one dealer sold Dutchmen the one we had called and set up and appointment with and had passed the forest river/sandstorm dealer on our way to the Dutchmen dealer. So after spending about two hours looking at the rubicon they did not want to deal at all. They were gonna make me pay for batteries cause they were not included and were not gonna knock any money off the camper or even try to help me with a hitch. Actually the salesman tried to tell me he could get me a good deal from somewhere else if I really wanted one. So we stopped and got some lunch and figured whet the heck lets stop and look at the others dealer we passed on our way in. Well after about 4 hours later we were the proud owners of a new sandstorm toy hauler. When we walked into it the sticker price was in the table and our salesman said don't worry you pay that. Batteries were included, they knocked money off the hitch. Asking price was $28,500 we walked out of the paying $25690 hitch included. I was happy.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #23

Hi,

We are looking now. We are deciding between the Puma 25-RS and the Grey Wolf 25-RL. Basically the same floor plan. Grey Wolf (GW) dealer had one listed but when I enquired it had just sold. He said he could order one in - price would be $695 more than the one he just sold. Same options I believe.

The Puma dealer had a pre-owned on the lot. We asked about new. He did up the quote and said could be ordered in. Price is roughly $300 more than the GW to order in. Close inspection shows the Puma is better quality, more storage etc. so worth the $300.

It's a real treat to get to order exactly the features and options that will work for us and since camp season here isn't until May there is lots of time for them to build it and get it delivered.

Did we get a good deal? I hope so. Time will tell. I will have to price the same thing in February or March. When does the model year change over? Another thread I read a few weeks back said October is a good time. Mostly because of clearing off the lots. But think the ordered price is okay too.

But.... maybe we should try to get is lower.... Decisions...

Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Site Team

[QUOTE=QuietTimes;266920]Hi,

Did we get a good deal? I hope so. Time will tell. I will have to price the same thing in February or March. When does the model year change over? Another thread I read a few weeks back said October is a good time. Mostly because of clearing off the lots. But think the ordered price is okay too.

But.... maybe we should try to get is lower.... Decisions...

[/
QUOTE]

The way I look at it if you are happy with the deal then its a good deal.

It's a long story but I almost walked away from my deal. It was about 1k more than expected and I was almost out the door to go home. Thank goodness I was alone in the trailer so I could think things through. There were several factors involved and in the end I made the right choice for me.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Rocklin Auto Brokers - Sales

Once you have made your choice, be prepared for the dealers to make up their lost profit from that great deal they just gave you on their warranty and/or the financing. I work for a dealership in California and we do sell warranties on RV's. I win a lot of business by selling an amazing product that actually pays claims, but mostly by selling the same warranties as other dealers at about half the cost. If you decide to protect this huge investment and want to give us a shot, I'd love to earn your business.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen
Once you have made your choice, be prepared for the dealers to make up their lost profit from that great deal they just gave you on their warranty and/or the financing. I work for a dealership in California and we do sell warranties on RV's. I win a lot of business by selling an amazing product that actually pays claims, but mostly by selling the same warranties as other dealers at about half the cost. If you decide to protect this huge investment and want to give us a shot, I'd love to earn your business.

Jenny
[moderator edit #1 - removed ph #]
JenJen, would like a quote on my new 2013 Primetime Avenger 261LT. You can e-mail me [moderator edit #2 - removed email]

Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote