Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Worldwide, actually.
True! There are many of us Canadians here. There are also some members from Europe and even Australia.

BTW, my pet peeve on this... why does the NFL say the Super Bowl is a “world championship” when all the teams are from the US and there are very few players that aren’t from the US? Sorry, could help myself.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
All I can add is do not do a trade in with your current camper. Sell it privately and you’ll save thousands of dollars. When I sold my previous Roo I sold it privately for a reasonable price and that was $4000 more than the dealers offered on a trade.

Yup- another forum member and I both had similar campers (same year, make, model, mostly even options). He sold his privately for $25-30k vs. trading, I was only getting $15k offers.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #23

Quote:
All I can add is do not do a trade in with your current camper. Sell it privately and you’ll save thousands of dollars. When I sold my previous Roo I sold it privately for a reasonable price and that was $4000 more than the dealers offered on a trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yup- another forum member and I both had similar campers (same year, make, model, mostly even options). He sold his privately for $25-30k vs. trading, I was only getting $15k offers.
CW and Camper's Inn offered us $15,500 for our Work & Play. The fact that trade-in value with NADA was $20,900 didn't matter at all. Sold it on craigslist for $21,900.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #24

Unless you have a lower price from another dealer, your best leverage is being able to walk away if you’re not satisfied with the deal. Dealers know what percentage of buyers will be back once they leave without buying. They’re not as likely to make a sale if you “go home to sleep on it”.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #25

Best value for price. I agree with abngoat. CW gives terrible service. Had to take mine back to factory to get if fixed properly. Under warrenty had to take it back for them to take picture, then in two weeks take it back again for two weeks to fix, then another trip to pick it up. Made more trips to CW tjan I did camping the first year. Check with other campers and see where they get the best service. That is worth a lot. Good luck
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #26

Quote:
True! There are many of us Canadians here. There are also some members from Europe and even Australia.

BTW, my pet peeve on this... why does the NFL say the Super Bowl is a “world championship” when all the teams are from the US and there are very few players that aren’t from the US? Sorry, could help myself.

Thanks for all the good advice along with walking away. I have already found similar trailers to use as options. And CW is not even an option.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Hi guys and gals -
I’ve always been a bit of a guy that trusts the salesman that they are giving me the best value / price ratio and since I am thinking of upgrading I was wondering how I can prepare and help myself out when negotiating for a new rv. Any tips or advice?
There are three possible transactions if you are purchasing anything like an RV or vehicle. In order in which you should approach them are"

1. The price for what they are selling. They are going to try and bundle the sales price with your trade in value and sell you a note payment. DON"T BUY IT! Make them give you their best price for what you want to buy before you move on to anything else.

2. The value of your trade in. AFTER you know what they will sell theirs for, now you get to what they will give you for yours. They will want to low ball you, you want fair value.

In both of the above transactions Knowledge is POWER. Do your research online and find out how much you can buy the camper for elsewhere. Find out what yours are selling for. Kelly Blue Book and NADA both publish used guides for the value of yours.

Don't settle for less than fair trade-in value. In fact, after they tell you what they will sell you theirs for, give them the value from the book and tell them this is what you want for yours. Have the page printed out and hand it to them. Tell them the deal can be done today if they will agree. Walk out if they say no. Tell them they are your first stop and you will move on to the next dealer. (they are likely to call you back)

3. The financing. It is usually best to get your financing in place, pre-approved before you ever set foot in the place. Theirs takes time and they will often steer you to a higher rate of interest because they get a kickback from the lender for throwing business their way.

Pick a model, tell the lender that is what you are looking for and let them give you the numbers. IF the dealer can beat the interest rate, great, if not, you already have the money in place.

three transactions, all separate, DON'T let them bundle it, you will lose

Take your time, DO NOT get in a rush, taking time and being diligent will save you thousands!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #28
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
CW and Camper's Inn offered us $15,500 for our Work & Play. The fact that trade-in value with NADA was $20,900 didn't matter at all. Sold it on craigslist for $21,900.
Your sale price actually demonstrates that the offer of $15.5 K was reasonable and the NADA trade-in value is complete BS.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Your sale price actually demonstrates that the offer of $15.5 K was reasonable and the NADA trade-in value is complete BS.
Maybe so but 1. I did far better than a trade-in and 2. I paid $27,000 new two years before.

Less than 20% loss on a new RV over two years. I'll take that any day.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone refer to it as a world championship. Usually the winners are just refered to as Super Bowl champions.

As far as football in general, it seems to be a mostly American sport. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in it in other countries, unlike baseball, basketball or especially soccer. Not quite sure why though.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone refer to it as a world championship. Usually the winners are just refered to as Super Bowl champions.

As far as football in general, it seems to be a mostly American sport. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in it in other countries, unlike baseball, basketball or especially soccer. Not quite sure why though.
Here is a Google search on it ...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=super...obile&ie=UTF-8

You’ll see lots of articles discussing it and NFL champions relishing the title.

Again, I don’t mean to make a big deal of it. It’s a pet peeve.

As to why it’s not popular outside of the USA, Canada and Mexico, perhaps that’s partly to do with the fact that someone decided to call it “football” when the rest of the world uses that name for the game we call soccer. Really, it doesn’t make sense that a game that allows you to carry a ball in your hands - in fact, almost all plays involve carrying and catching the ball in your hands - would be called “football”.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #32

Actually football came from the imperial measurement of a foot which was the length of the "foot" ball.
abngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #33
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abngoat View Post
Actually football came from the imperial measurement of a foot which was the length of the "foot" ball.
Unlikely. I had to Google the size of a football and everything I found say an American football is 11” to 11.25” long. Same as a Canadian football but the Canadian ball has a larger diameter.

I”ll stop posting about my pet peeve now.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #34
Ben f

One final thing to consider on trading vs private sale. You will only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade in value and the selling price when you trade. A lot of people forget this fact and get hung up on trying to sell it privately. If you are trading in a rig the dealer offers 15k and you think you could get 17k in a private sale. You are buying a 30k new camper. Without trade you are paying $2100 in sales tax, with trade only $1050. In reality there is only a $950 difference in trading plus no headache.
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #35

And in some states, not anywhere near that $2100 in sales tax. So the argument is location specific. You are correct, one needs to run the numbers to see what will work out best for their specific circumstance and location. There is no one size fits all solution.

But I would contend that one should set the buy price on the new unit without the trade even being considered, or even known by the dealer. Lock that in and then discuss and negotiate any trade in unit. When they are combined, a lot of slight of hand tricks can be played by a dealer to muddy up the waters of the deal. Separately, and the wool can't be pulled over anyone's eyes on the deal.

The biggest problem is that folks look at RV/TT buying like they do auto buying. They are totally separate animals. You don't go into negotiating and buying a house with some idea or discussion of a trade in house. Why would you do that with a TT?
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #36

I learned a lot from this thread when I bought my trailer last year in buying both new and used. Ultimately we found a new trailer we really liked, however the lowest price we could get to was still above our budget, then they informed of us having a used model on there lot and that’s where the bargaining began. I learned on this forum about the mark ups etc and research. We finally agreed on a price, then I started asking for things, like upgraded 7lb tanks etc, even got 50% off our equalizer hitch. Then to top it off we got another 1k of the sale price after that. I always thought I was good at buying trucks and knew the game, this is an entirely different world!
z_hall83 is offline   Reply With Quote