Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
backpacker

blow out

Hi every one my nane is Dave and
this is my first post and I would like to say that I to have joined the Radial Trail Ultra Blow out club,(not a happy camper).
I know these things happen and it could have been worse.
I have a 2008 Flagstaff 831krss just over 6500 lb. I pull it with a 2002 2 wheel drive Z66 Avalanche with a 3.73 gear.
A lot of talk about these tires not being real good, now I know to.
I would like to change all 4 tires.Would the Goodyear Marathon trailer tire be my best bet or should I go with the Maxxis load range D tire. The tire size that is on the trailer now are the ST 205 / 75 R15.
Some say they have gone over to a LT tire but I don't know if that is a real good idea with the TT.
looking for any help or ideas.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #2

15" LT tires are limited in the load range available and very well may decrease you payload capacity. When you get into the 16" or 17" tires the LT's increase their capacities.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #3

I've been there got 4 t shirts with these tires! Some if not most RV manufacturers put the minimum cheapest tires on the wheels. The wheels often or can be rated to carry a much higher load more in keeping with the max axle load rating and the GVWR of the rig.

To start, check the load rating of your wheels, it will be stamped on them somewhere on the inside of the wheel, the rating will be in max lbs and ought to be about 25% of GVWR less pin or tongue weight thats if you have 4 wheels. Then fit a tire to mach the wheel, for example if the wheel is stamped 2830lbs then fit an E rated tire at 2830lbs. This should always be inflated to the maximum pressure as stamped on the tire, in an E rated tire that is usually 80psi. * (see note below) It is also essential to ensure that the valve is capable of this pressure, this is critical. Some say if you are running a light rig you can reduce this pressure, this is incorrect, the tire needs to be run at the max psi so it assumes the correct profile, the correct profile will create an optimum tread to road situation, reduce wear and overheating.

The brand, not sure, all trailer tires here are Chinese your best insurance is overkill, with these rubish tires you can't have too much tire!

* Note: If a wheel is rated at say 2830lbs max load, this refers to the amount of weight it can carry safely it does not relate to how much air pressure it can withold, so in theory you could fit a G rated tire that allows a far greater pressure eg 110lbs and as long as the valve can support this then you can run G rated tires, G rated tires have a max load rating of over 3000lbs but does not increase the load rating of the wheel, be carefull.

IMO The load rating of the wheel and tire should be the same and one wheel should (in the case of a twin axle set up) exceed 25% of the GVWR less pin weight.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

In case some of you wonder; a TRAILER tire with an LT rating means Light Trailer. NOT AT ALL the same as an LT truck tire- meaning Light Truck. Do not confuse the two- they are very different tires. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

By the way, I joined the Carlisle radial trail blowout club as well, on my trip to the Keys! 2008 (or older) trailer tires should be replaced after 3+ years old or more (guilty) anyway. Chances are, the tires are older than the camper, as well. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
backpacker

Thanks everyone for all the help and the suggestions, you are all awesome, I have to say that I really like this forum.
I did some checking on both the tire that blew and the wheels.
The dot on the tire was 0706, that means that the tire was 5 years old. I bought the trailer used in March of this year from a dealership, I know trailer sat all winter uncovered. I know the first thing I should have done was change the tires.
The tire was a load C, max load on that tire is 1820 at 50 psi.
As for the wheel there are 2 P.C.D. codes,
one is a P.C.D.=4.50 with a load at 2150 LBS, the other one is a P.C.D.=5.50 with a load at 2830 LBS.
the Dot-T on the wheel was 80 P.S.I.
I will be doing more tire searching for the trailer.
Again thank you all for your help.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

The Maxxis tires seem to have a good reputation, and that is what I chose to replace the brand new Chinese Duro tires on our fifth. I wasn't willing to take the chance. I also put on tire pressure monitors, so I am doubly-insured.
A lot of the Goodyears are now made in China, so you might have to search around to find some made in the US or Canada.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Retired FF

I just put 3500 miles on my new Maxis tires on a 3 week trip with ZERO problems. The pressure stayed perfect throughout the trip and the tires ran very smooth and cool.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

I was advised to changed all my tires a few years ago and chose to ignore the advise, cause I thought it was a money grab!!....Guess again....on the latest trip (5000 miles) had a tire completely disintegrate. Never seen anything like it. Was advised that all trailer tires have to be replaced after 3 years, driven or not. So, yup, got 4 new tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Maxxis is the way to go; if you have the room, they make an ST225/75R15 tire that might work. I also suggest installing steel valve stems and balance the new tires.
Good luck.

Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote