Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Angry Bought our first trailer and feel a little ripped off?!? (SOLVED)

Hey there everyone. First post to the forum. While looking to purchase our first travel trailer, I've read this forum multiple times while doing research!

Here is my question. We finally found a nice little 19' on Kijiji, and were impressed with the condition it was in so we decided to take the plunge and purchase. It is a FR Salem 19' and bought it from the original owners. The Kijiji add stated it was model year 2007, the previous owners stated multiple times it was a 2007 model, the bill of sale states it's a 2007 model, but I just went through all it's papers, and the "Certificate Of Origin" paper clearly states it is a 2005 model.

I feel ripped off because the negotiated buying price was based on year 2007. I'm not unhappy with the trailer itself, but thinking even further down the road, the resell value will potentially be much less because of that 2 year model year difference.

So, am I over reacting? The previous owners seemed honest enough, and I'm thinking they maybe purchased it new in 2007 (although I don't have the original bill of sale). Will 2 years really make that big of a difference for resell? Because the Bill of Sale clearly states it's a 2007 model, to me, this means the sale is not actually valid (and I haven't registered it yet). What would you do? I'm thinking of asking them to adjust the selling price appropriately.

Many thanks!!
Schwaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

There will be a sticker on the left front corner of the trailer stating date of manufacturer. Look on that. If it says built in 2005 then it is a 2005 model, if it says built in 2007 then I would argue with DMV
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Yup, says manufactured Dec 2004. So it's a 2005 model. The VIN on the sticker and the bill of sale match up, except the bill of sale says 2007.

What would you say a reasonable price adjustment would be? I'm thinking of trying to reason with the sellers first.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwaby View Post
Yup, says manufactured Dec 2004. So it's a 2005 model. The VIN on the sticker and the bill of sale match up, except the bill of sale says 2007.

What would you say a reasonable price adjustment would be? I'm thinking of trying to reason with the sellers first.
Go here: RV Reviews, RV Prices, RV Values, Camper & Trailer Specs, Motorhome Value | NADAguides | NADA RV, Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide | NADAguides

Check out the price difference between those 2 years with the same camper that best fits your trailer specs, and negotiate with that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Hey there everyone. First post to the forum. While looking to purchase our first travel trailer, I've read this forum multiple times while doing research!

Here is my question. We finally found a nice little 19' on Kijiji, and were impressed with the condition it was in so we decided to take the plunge and purchase. It is a FR Salem 19' and bought it from the original owners. The Kijiji add stated it was model year 2007, the previous owners stated multiple times it was a 2007 model, the bill of sale states it's a 2007 model, but I just went through all it's papers, and the "Certificate Of Origin" paper clearly states it is a 2005 model.

I feel ripped off because the negotiated buying price was based on year 2007. I'm not unhappy with the trailer itself, but thinking even further down the road, the resell value will potentially be much less because of that 2 year model year difference.

So, am I over reacting? The previous owners seemed honest enough, and I'm thinking they maybe purchased it new in 2007 (although I don't have the original bill of sale). Will 2 years really make that big of a difference for resell? Because the Bill of Sale clearly states it's a 2007 model, to me, this means the sale is not actually valid (and I haven't registered it yet). What would you do? I'm thinking of asking them to adjust the selling price appropriately.

Many thanks!!

What does your tit;e ownership from the DMV say?
Anyway if you have it in writing it is a 2007 and it sounds like it is a 2005 then you have a leagal claims with them.
I'd talk to them and show them the facts and see what happens.
Can't hurt
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

I don't even have a title for it yet. The seller just dropped it off today. I am going to try to come up with a dollar amount and give them a call.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Team

If it's actually a 2005 model instead of 2007 do some research to determine the difference in value.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

Hi Schwaby

Give them the benefit of the doubt & ask them if they realized it was a 2005. My gut feeling is that you paid a good price for a well taken care of unit from original owners (rare)... I dont think it makes a huge difference if you intend to keep it in as great a shape as you bought it, if you intend to sell in a few years....

When I sold my 2005 19 ft Jayco, I sold it for what I bought it for brand new. I was original owner. People came to look and commented on others for sale at much lesser price. It didnt matter to me, because 6 yrs later, my trailer's condition was 'near new' and unmistakenly reflected it. I bought it, paid in full, at slightly less than 60% MSRP...and was pleased to sell for a good yet fair price...not low ball cheap...and those who questioned negotiating for a steal not a deal were shown the way out...a "well taken care" of unit will hold its (depreciated) value much better and in spite of other used models a couple years newer...if the buyers wanted newer models in lesser condition, I told them theyd better go for it....my sale wasnt desperation or out of need. I sold it because it sat for 9 months with no use & felt it was the time to sell to get the best dollar for its value.

So, you can ask the seller about it, if it was an honest mistake then perhaps they will reduce your cost or perhaps they will just give your money back and say sorry....It can happen...we have multiple vehicles & I mixed up the year on an old Econoline 150 cargo van. I advertised it as 1985, it was a 1983..noticed it when I was writing up the bill of sale....but the price was set so fair, it made no difference to the buyer. I offered to cancel sale but they declined.

Best of luck...dont beat yourself up thinking you got ripped off...it really could have been an honest (not intentional) mistake...and you do like your trailer and you prob still got a great deal....:-)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

IMO,

If you are worried about resale value on a 5 year (or 7 year) old camper I think you need to rethink why you are buying it at all. Typically, you run a second hand camper into the ground while saving for a new one. Third hand campers go to the scrap yard.

Just my opinion...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Went to NADA, and picked the smallest SALEM made for 2007, and 2005, since the model numbers didn't match. Both 21 feet, but with 19 in the model number. Added no options, and got roughly $6,000 retail for 2007, and $5,000 retail for 2005. I'm not saying you made a $1,000 mistake, or expect $1,000 negotiation, you need to research, and find out yourself. It's also going to depend on the area you live in. Also, according to NADA, these trailers were around 25% of retail when new, so you definitely on the bottom of the curve for value. I would just make sure the tax office new it was a 2005, minimum value, minimum taxes.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. They proved to be invaluable (well, I guess in this case there was a very SPECIFIC value). I worked things out amicably with the sellers. It turned out to be an honest mistake. We negotiated a new price that made me satisfied.

So far, really happy with the new trailer. Can't wait for it's Maiden Voyage.

Hope to continue to gain all the knowledge that can come out of this forum, and maybe someday I can lend some wisdom as well.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #12

Glad things worked out for you and you are enjoying your trailer

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

Schwaby, thats great! Thanks for coming back and sharing your outcome! Glad it worked out well for you!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Ditto about it working out for you. Mistakes do happen and happy to hear the sellers were cooperative.

Please do keep us updated on your maiden voyage. Remember that pictures are welcome.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #15

For the record you can always look at the VIN as well....regardless of what anyone says...if it was manufactured after 1980, the tenth digit in the VIN will tell you the year of the vehicle. In 1980 started with A, 81 is B and so on....as you get into the 90s some letters are skipped or duplicate...u can do a google search for the codes. 2000 is zero 2001 is one and so on til 2009, then 2010 started back with A again.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. They proved to be invaluable (well, I guess in this case there was a very SPECIFIC value). I worked things out amicably with the sellers. It turned out to be an honest mistake. We negotiated a new price that made me satisfied.

So far, really happy with the new trailer. Can't wait for it's Maiden Voyage.

Hope to continue to gain all the knowledge that can come out of this forum, and maybe someday I can lend some wisdom as well.

Cheers!
You have to take lots of pictures and show us....
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Buyer beware period. Your misfortune makes a case to but new doesn't it?