Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
When I see all these posts about how lousy the RV dealers warranty service is, I am glad I bought mine used so I don't have to fret about warranty service.

Bill
Think about it.

Scenario 1
You take your RV into a dealer (out of warranty) and ask him to fix your slide, air-co and suspension, he takes a look, says $4000 will do it and you say yes, a week later you collect and he puts $4k in his pocket. Good service everyone happy!

Scenario 2
Same as above but covered by warranty. Dealer has to do a very detailed inspection, take photos, write a report send all this to manufacturer, gets asked for more info from manufacturer, takes more photos, more reports 2/3 weeks pass, customer has phoned for update 6 times, dealer gets told by manufacturer that only some items are covered, dealer tells customer this and takes all the flak. Manufacturer authorizes the work to be done by dealer for a payment of only $1000 and dealer does the work reluctantly and cuts as many corners as he can so he can come out with something at the end. Poor service and no-one happy!

Sorry for being Mr Cynical but this is how I see it

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #22

A good point Dave Lyon about asking the local guy to come down in price. BUT

RVW will not put their quote on paper until you sign the deal. So what would I take other than my word?

He emailed me the list of the options we had added but phoned the final number to us.

But it never hurts to ask.

Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #23

I would write number down the RVW offered you and take any paperwork to the local dealer. Canadian dealers have to be aware of the prices offered by large US dealers like RVW.

The local dealer may not dispute your figures, but, as a business decision may not be able to honour RVW prices. However, if you can close to gap to within $1,000.....perhaps that would sway your decision.

If you can get the local dealer close to where you want to be.....pull out your Visa and tell him you'll put $500 down right now (assuming you're at you're price point).

Also, try to negotiate soft costs such as trailer storage for three years, store credit for service work once trailer is out of warranty.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #24

RVW will not put their quote on paper until you sign the deal. So what would I take other than my word?

He emailed me the list of the options we had added but phoned the final number to us.

Smells funny to me.

Email HIM with all the options, be specific about everything including pdi, paperwork and admin fees, and list everything in detail and the price he gave you (verbally) and ask him to confirm by return of email if that is correct.

He doesn't want to give it in writing as he suspects that you will use it with RV direct to have them beat his deal or something he has promised will not stick, or both.

Do it anyway, you have the right to deal and price match if you want, I hate bad smells, I once trod in some RVW.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Missing Link

Tell him you need a work sheet faxed to your bank for financing and give him your work fax or another fax.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #26

I looked at RVW last spring and ended up buying local. The closest dealer to my house(a little over an hour) that carries FR is House Of Camping in Bridgeview, IL. George, the owner, gave me the a price that was a couple hundred better than RVW.

I have had 2 issues for warranty work and dealt directly with FR instead of the dealer as I didn't want to spend the gas money. FR was more than happy to send me parts and let me do the work at no cost to them.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #27

where to buy

Heres my 2 cents. We bought from RV Direct on line and had no problems everything went smooth and it was scary buying thru the internet instead of a dealer but we got a great deal and we were able to pick up our MH from one of there dealerships about 3 hours away. We saved almost $10,000 on our class A. We had some minor warranty issues and found a dealer close by that would honor Forest River warranty work. So do a little more research, Good Luck

R & S
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #28

Anyone ever hear of WannaRV? They are in Indiana 15 miles from the FR factory. Their price was $400 more than RVW. However they are adding in the starter kit (need to find out what they put it that) at no extra charge. A smallish family business. I get a good vibe from them. The quote they emailed was VERY detailed. Have also requested a quote from AllSeasonsRV in Muskegeon (see Dave I'm following your advice.) No quote from them yet.

Gotta say it sure it nice to have all the nice folks here to bounce things off of. Thanks!
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When I was shopping for my 365saq, I worked with RVW, got a price, and used that to shop around. After over a month of continuous negotiations, I found a dealer that couldn't match their deal, but could offer a better product with more options for just a little more. Since I am about an hour from either dealer, it was a easy for me to make up my mind. In all honesty, RVW in OH doesn't have that great of a local reputation, compared to some of our local dealers, who come very close in price, but offer better service after the sale.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I have a sneaky feeling that you have to pay state tax if you purchased in Indiana in addition to Canadian HST. At least that's what my 3 year old researching told.

I purchased the last camper thru RV Direct and picked it up in Elkhart, IN. All the paperwork showed the purchase with RV Direct, Albany NY. The temporary plate was also NY. I didn't pay any US state tax.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote