Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #81

Did you have to pay duty at Boarder on your RV Purchase? No One has gotten back to me yet regarding this question. I am looking at buying a class c Forest River Solera and RV Direct quote great rate, so I get to pay Quebec & Fed tax at Border, what else do I pay?
Travel R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel R US View Post
Did you have to pay duty at Boarder on your RV Purchase? No One has gotten back to me yet regarding this question. I am looking at buying a class c Forest River Solera and RV Direct quote great rate, so I get to pay Quebec & Fed tax at Border, what else do I pay?
You have to pay the $195 fee to RIV (Register of Import Vehicles). There is no duty to pay.

Dave

Edit: The link I sent on your other post wasn't very descriptive. Look at page 4 of this post... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ada-957-4.html

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel R US View Post
No duty at the border if it's manufactured in the U.S. I'm from Ontario and had to pay 5% PST (provincial sales tax) at the border. They started the RIV (Registar of Imported Vehicle) paperwork at the border but I was able to pay it ($220.35) a few days later over the phone with the RIV staff.

There's also a $100 excise tax at the border on air conditioners. They didn't ask if my travel trailer had A\C so I was ok or maybe it just applies to motorized vehicles. I opted not to ask them if I had to pay it.

The Fed tax (8% for Ontario residents) is paid when you register the vehicle. Likely the same in Quebec.

The RV dealer where I purchased my trailer provided a temporary travel permit (plate). Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Paul
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #84

Thank you all very much for your contribution of experiences, oppinions, etc. I am taking it all in. I also plan on using a detailed proposal from RV Direct to get my local dealer to do a mjor price adjustment if they want my business. Will let you asll know what I do, wehn I do. Much appreciated!!!!!
Travel R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

If your local dealer isn't too receptive, RV Direct has a pick-up dealership in Albany, NY...about 200 miles south.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #86

WarMovies,

What a great outcome! As I'm currently waiting on delivery of a unit from RVW, stories like this are good to hear.
I'd like to think I researched RVW quite a bit prior to inking a deal, I hadn't however seen the posts from Mr. Durnell until I came to this site, from what I've read he goes above and beyond to create the win-win, unexpected in this day, but awesome!

My dealings with RVW, Gary Yoakam, have been great. I've called him many times, he's called me back always, e-mail messages, etc. I know I'm a pain in his arse, but I also like to think he understands. Our unit's delayed a bit but hopefully it'll be here later this month, fingers crossed!
I'm in California and we just don't have dealers willing to offer this kind of deal, I'd tried to dicker with the "only" dealer out here and well you see the outcome. Gary advised us they could ship to anywhere, so we plan to meet our toy 1/2 way out and enjoy it home...
Again, thanks for the post(s), hearing of good outcomes like this help to calm the belly!
ATsXLR is offline   Reply With Quote