Old 12-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

buying a new RV HELP

Hello. We are considering purchasing a new Surveyor. It is the 295QBLE model. Any hints ! We are trading in our 2008. He has came up with a price that was 2k under what the price was on the camper. How much do you negotiate? Also they have the warranty forever program which I think we are going to stay away from. Does anyone use Good Sam ESP? Any tips would be greatly appreciated,

Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

My tip would be to take the PDI seriously. Spend hours, if necessary, checking EVERYTHING, in every mode possible (gas/elec/batt/city water/water pump+fresh). Don't feel bad or feel pressured into hurrying through it. Every nook, every cranny. If parts move (like slides) run them in and out multiple times. Do this before you sign paperwork. They move much faster fixing things when they don't already have your money.

Then take it to a park nearby and camp in it for 3 days (long enough to verify the converter is working to charge the battery). Return directly to dealer with any new issues you notice.

Get the $150.00 extended warranty from Forrest river within 30 days of purchase.

2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

30-35% off the "list" price is common. If you are trading yours in don't expect to see anything close to NADA low retail. They may throw a high trade in value out, then charge full retail for the new one to make it look like a deal. The only price you need to worry about is the difference you pay. If you think you need an extended service contract wait until the factory warranty runs out. If you decide you then want one the Good sam product would be about the best choice. If you buy one when it's new it will start to run while the factory warranty is in effect and will just run out that much earlier.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

Our local Forest River tow behind dealer (which if you live in GA, you may want to talk to - they have really good deals!) offers the warranty forever program. I have taken a look at it and, if you plan on living in the area serviced by that dealer or move to another area and the dealer there honors the warranty forever, it's a pretty sweet deal. You have to take your rig in yearly for a $60-ish "inspection" (what they do is dicor as needed, inspect the caulk and bearings ect and PM as needed). If your survayor has a lot of electronics in it you will want a warranty!

As for a Survayor, that was the TT we owned before moving up to a 5er - lots of fond memories in our 303!

Try to find the MSRP on the camper. Deduct 25%. Start negotiating downward from there. If he wants the sale he might go as low as 30% off MSRP - maybe even a bit more!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Here is my question. We live in Georgia. May be hard to get out camping with it for a month or so since holidays are here. Any suggestion. Would that be ok ? Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #6

How do know what MSRP is?
Never seen a window sticker on a trailer.
I've seen some printed sheets with numbers on it that my 8 year old could make up.
On a trailer with a MSRP of $19,999 a dealer could print a sheet that says "MSRP $24,999 ON SALE TODAY FOR $18,995!!!!"
Lots of newbies would never suspect a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
fx2

We love our Surveyor (SC321BHTS). "MSRP" was $43k and we paid $27k. MSRPs in the RV business are worthless. We researched the trailer extensively and the pricing before jumping. We ended up well below the wholesalers and that when we knew we had the best deal.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
Toy Haulin' Full Time!

The PDI and walkthrough are huge. Let the dealer know that you are not in a rush, and if you get there and it's not ready, you won't be signing anything until it is 100%. This worked for us on our new Vengeance T.E. We drove from Florida to Texas to get it, and they honored the deal - almost 30% off the "Build Sheet" list price and a huge trade in value, almost 18K more than anyone else. Spend at least 2 hours in the unit as if you were living there. One more important note - the Forest River extra year warranty states "within 10 days of purchase", not 30 days. Probably the best deal on an extended warranty in the world.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
My tip would be to take the PDI seriously. Spend hours, if necessary, checking EVERYTHING, in every mode possible (gas/elec/batt/city water/water pump+fresh). Don't feel bad or feel pressured into hurrying through it. Every nook, every cranny. If parts move (like slides) run them in and out multiple times. Do this before you sign paperwork. They move much faster fixing things when they don't already have your money.

Then take it to a park nearby and camp in it for 3 days (long enough to verify the converter is working to charge the battery). Return directly to dealer with any new issues you notice.

Get the $150.00 extended warranty from Forrest river within 30 days of purchase.
I second the above...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
offers the warranty forever program. I have taken a look at it and, if you plan on living in the area serviced by that dealer or move to another area and the dealer there honors the warranty forever, it's a pretty sweet deal. You have to take your rig in yearly for a $60-ish "inspection" (what they do is dicor as needed, inspect the caulk and bearings ect and PM as needed). If your survayor has a lot of electronics in it you will want a warranty!
I disagree with Bob. I feel the "warranty forever" is nothing more than a gimmick to generate income for service departments of dealers who are signed up with it. A local dealer here was offering it as a perk to buy there. I asked what the cost of the yearly required inspection was and was told $329.

The warranty forever does not cover anything when you get down to it. This is whats covered, and its these specific items only.
What's Covered - National Automotive Experts
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

Go on Jeff Couch's RV Nation's website and build and price your RV. They carry the Surveyor line. Pick your options and decor and they will email you a quote. Then bring it to your local dealer. Tell them to come withing 1k of Couch's or you'll walk. (That will cover the additional shipping to GA that Couch's wouldn't have to pay.) Couch's quote will be 36% off MSRP. Our "local" dealer wouldn't come anywhere near Couch's price ($9500 more...)so we took the 800 mile trip and made an adventure out of it. Great experience.