Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Buying an RV from a show??

Wife and I are planning on going to the Rally in Phoenix in March and bringing our current trailer with us. We are interested in maybe trading it in on something larger and nicer. What are the chances of being able to come home with a new trailer from a show in 4 days? I know at home it takes them like a week to get all together. Are we off thinking we could find a good deal and be able to take delivery at the show?

Thanks
Spawnman

Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You'll find good deals but as for being able to take delivery would depend on how accessible the new unit would be. Most shows have everything packed as close as possible to each other to allow the most amount of units to be displayed. If the unit you choose is trapped by other units I doubt you'll be able to leave with it at least until the show is over. But who knows, good luck!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

Good point. hadn't thought of that one. Was thinking of other types of hold-ups. Can really see that being an issue though.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I'm always amazed at how close they get the units at the shows to each other. At the Hershey Show they are inches apart end to end. That's everything from a pop-up to a Class "A" Diesel Pusher costing $350K plus.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
We bought our new trailer at an RV show and the dealer ended up having the exact same trailer on his lot. So you might get lucky and be able to pick one up that way.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

Did it once, at a small local show. Arrived at the dealer for my scheduled walk-through and delivery, only to be put in a "holding room", with people walking by, looking in, whispered talking in the hallway, and then FINALLY (after almost an hour), the Sales Manager coming in and telling is that they had also sold the SAME unit to another couple, who had taken delivery of it two days previous.... They "made-up" for it, by ordering another identical unit (fortunately, the mfgr hadn't changed the model), storing it until the next Spring, and throwing in a few extras.

Happened with one of the larger dealers in the Albany area, who also has a shop in Buffalo, NY and who is a big player in the "On-Line" RV business.... I'll let you figure out who that might be.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I'm always amazed at how close they get the units at the shows to each other. At the Hershey Show they are inches apart end to end. That's everything from a pop-up to a Class "A" Diesel Pusher costing $350K plus.
At the Dulles show this year, we saw a ladder from 1 unit pushing in the front cap some on a 5th wheel, but probably not enough to hurt the cap.

There has to be a big of choreograph to get all of those puppies in there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #8

I work a firefighters trade show in Indianapolis, every year, where the entire Convention Center and the Lucas Oil Stadium are literally FILLED with hundred of pieces of fire apparatus and ambulances. It takes months of planning and "chorreographing" to get the apparatus in and out in the proper sequence and spacing... Truley an art to see be done!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

We purchased our fifth wheel at the Halifax RV show last year. The unit was not on the floor. The dealer had one on their lot. We could probbaly have taken delivery within a day or so but opted until later in the spring, when our trade came out of storage. They took our trade based on pictures and we were very happy with the deal. All the paper work was completed at the show. The beauty of negotiating at the show was the close proximity of all the dealers and we just simply walked back and forth until we got what we wanted. I am confident I would not have worked a better deal later just by visiting dealers at their location. Good luck with your venture.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
At the Dulles show this year, we saw a ladder from 1 unit pushing in the front cap some on a 5th wheel, but probably not enough to hurt the cap.

There has to be a big of choreograph to get all of those puppies in there.
Years ago I was speaking with a dealer at the Spring Timonium MD Show, which is coming up Feb 17-19 & 24-26. He said if you ever want to see something truely amazing show up on the Tuesday before the show opens and the line-up begins. The dealers all have a deadline for getting their units in the line to be brought inside. He said it's worthwhile to bring a chair and prepare to be amazed. These guys and girls move these units around like it's nothing.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR