Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Buying from dealer thats not close

I am currently on the east coast and the closet dealer is 3 hours away. However after buying I am planning a tour across the US on my way to moving to CA. So it would be pointless to buy near my final destination.
So, knowing most have warranty or pdi issues that arise, how hard it it going to be if I move to an area and have to get warranty work. Is there going to be the "you did not buy it from us" game? Or are there dealers that realize you do not live close by.
Also I plan on buying an Isata 3, can anybody do the warranty work whether they sell Dynamax or not?

Thanks for the help
Winger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #2

We bought from nearly 2 hours away. We took our Hemisphere to a local dealer at the end of the season for a few minor warranty issues. They were happy to assist as long as it was the end of the season.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Most dealers won't do warranty work on units they didn't sell.
Those that will, often put you at the back of the line.
That's why many use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
We bought our first trailer from a dealer 2000 miles away. FR found us 3 local dealers that were willing to do the warranty work. But we knew that we would be at the back of the line. We just dropped it off after the camping season was over.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger1 View Post
Also I plan on buying an Isata 3, can anybody do the warranty work whether they sell Dynamax or not?
Since you're buying an Isata, I suggest you post your question over in the Dynamax section. Brian Clemens is the GM of Dynamax and a regular contributor to the forum. He's an absolute jewel to have on your side. I bet he'll get you taken care of wherever you take it. The rest of us can only wish our divisions would take the initiative with our brands that Brian does with his brand.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

We ordered our TT from a dealer 1800 miles away. We have it serviced locally at a wonderful facility who does excellent work. They handled all our warranty claims with ease.

It went out of warranty last week, but we will continue to take it back to them for major repairs.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

I was going to post a reply and say you can have independent/mobile rv techs work on it anywhere. you may need prior authorization from forest river though. but since its a Dynamax, as stated above, you are in good hands with Brian. That is another world entirely when it comes to service!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since you're buying an Isata, I suggest you post your question over in the Dynamax section. Brian Clemens is the GM of Dynamax and a regular contributor to the forum. He's an absolute jewel to have on your side. I bet he'll get you taken care of wherever you take it. The rest of us can only wish our divisions would take the initiative with our brands that Brian does with his brand.
Times a thousand! what Bama said.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

My dealer will do any work, but if you bought it from them, you take priority over the ones who did not.

I called once to get something done, and the guy I normally do not deal with in service that did not know I bought it there told me they are about a month out. I said but I bought it there. He said, can you get it here tomorrow.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

This pertains to our Forest River FR3 I would assume most dealers/Manufactures would be similar.

We bought our RV from a dealer 400 miles from our home. Although in the same state of California. We too had these same concerns. Here our our takeaways since we are less than 6 months into new ownership of our FR3.

While the dealer will fix our items the warranty is covered by both Ford (Chassis) Forrest River (everything else)

We've have both FR issues and Ford issues. the response I get is always contact the Manufacture. You might get someone at the dealer who really has customer service in mind and they will "facilitate" but I've not experienced that

Forrest River will allow any authorized dealer or location to work on your RV. They can supply the list and contacts. The problem we also have had is every RV dealership or authorized repair shop is booked for months or will even decline to work on the warranty. Just call ahead and make sure.

If they don't want to fix your warranty item, Forrest River will give you a local company that will and they have been very responsive. They will also allow you to take it to a place of your choice have the work done but that involves more paperwork, consults and pre-approvals but it can be done.

Our Ford Chassis same, although I had to call over 15 dealers and authorized Ford Warranty locations. Ford has a customer service number for RVs and they also located a place that will cover the warranty items. (it was 40 miles from our home)

All in all, i would not let the location of the dealer hinder me from buying, once you pull it off the lot they basically wash their hands of you. and it it up to you to work with Forrest River and Ford for your warranty items. and find a location to have the work done.

You're moving to California so there will be plenty of locations within driving distance, but it might take some planning and more involvement from you than your typical auto.

I hope this helps or at least gives you ideas for your RV.

Good Luck with the new purchase
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Just speaking in general but if I were to buy an RV on one side of the country then move to the other, I'd do so well in advance. Then take a couple of short trips, even if just to a local RV park where you get to use pretty much everything.

Make as complete a list of issues as possible then get them fixed by the selling dealer.

Chances are there will be few, if any, warranty issues from then on and any problems that arise later will more likely than not be "Customer Pay" anyway. (something you broke and wouldn't be covered under warranty).

Chassis issues on motorhomes are usually dealt with by the chassis manufacturer dealer network anyway and they have their "stuff" together far better than the RV industry.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #11

I have read horror stories of people getting the RVs registered in CA if bought out of state. You may want to save yourself hassle and but it in CA.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

I just got a travel trailer from a dealer 5 hours away, After the purchase they told me if I had any problems to let them know and they'd try to hook me up with a dealer in my local area. After getting home I checked every thing over again from the PDI and so far so good. But I also know from past ownership that some things just have to be done yourself. So get some equipment manuals and thank god for youtube.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #13

We have bought twice out of state. Price was a big factor when comparing same models and what was being offered. Only tip I can give is be sure on your end of how out of state purchase and title/tag process goes. Also how the out of state dealer handles title/tags. Some try to charge you as if you are a resident and tag and title there and then let you suffer the transfer of title, tag fees again and sometimes paying purchase sales tax or ad valorem tax. Not all do that for sure but be knowledgeable going in what the law is in your state and in the state where you purchase so nobody gets surprised.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #14

Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

I called Customer Service at Dynamax with the same question. I live in San Diego, CA and the selling Dealer was in Mesa, AZ. I have been told by several dealers that they only service units they sell. Dynamax sent me a list of approved dealers based on my Zip Code but the first one on the list was one of the dealers only servicing units they sell. Luckily I have been able to fix every issue I have had but it is annoying. I have located a couple smaller dealers that said they would be able to work on mine in a pinch.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have read horror stories of people getting the RVs registered in CA if bought out of state. You may want to save yourself hassle and but it in CA.
We lived in California when we bought our first trailer, from a Chicago dealer.
Had zero problems registrating it in California.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #16

Buying from dealer thats not close

Yes, it is convenient to have a servicing dealer nearby. I would buy a year in advance of serious travel, in case there are any major warranty issues. Once all is working well, I am not sure how much difference a local servicing dealer is, if one will be away from home with it most of the camping season. I consult rvservicereviews.com for places that do good work along my travel route. After each service, I post a review there, so others will have it for reference. Also, I inquire at each campground about a local mobile service tech with a good reputation - just in case. It was necessary to use one this summer. He did very good work.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
The registration process on a new RV bought out of state wasn't that bad except for the sales tax on 100K. Also even if the Isata 3 is new you will have to get it smog checked before CA will register it and you have to take it to the DMV in person which is always fun. On second thought you might want to buy it in CA. I think if you buy a new car in CA you get a 5 year grace period before smog checks begin, but that doesn't seem to apply to registering one you already bought in another state. I have already had to smog my 2016 Isata 3 twice now.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
The registration process on a new RV bought out of state wasn't that bad except for the sales tax on 100K. Also even if the Isata 3 is new you will have to get it smog checked before CA will register it and you have to take it to the DMV in person which is always fun. On second thought you might want to buy it in CA. I think if you buy a new car in CA you get a 5 year grace period before smog checks begin, but that doesn't seem to apply to registering one you already bought in another state. I have already had to smog my 2016 Isata 3 twice now.
For clarity, if it helps. I moved from NY to CA, lived there for 26 years. Moved back to NY for 3. My DL is NY at this time. Part of the plan is to buy now and when I move back in 4/5 months I can have drive across the country with my pet and sightsee. Otherwise I would wait and buy in CA
My thought is that I am not technically a CA resident at this time, they have to accept my vehicle when I move there because it will be registered in my current legal home state.
As a side note, registrations in NY are about 20% of CA. If they give me a hard time I will keep it registered in NY as I plan to travel alot over the next 5 years

Thanks for the input everyone,Thoughts?
Winger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
Deputy Sheriff (Ret.)

Happy with local dealer

In July 2017 I purchased a Cedar Creek from a dealer in Ohio because of price. I was a little concerned about getting warranty work done here where I live in central Arkansas. As with buying any kind of a manufactured product, I had a few issues and took it to the Cedar Creek dealer in Conway, Arkansas. After going over there a couple of times I felt guilty because I did not buy it there. Richard King in the service department at Moix RV could not have treated us any better. Got right in and right out. They were great. That was our experience and I understand your concerns Happy Trails and good luck.
Mike522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We lived in California when we bought our first trailer, from a Chicago dealer.
Had zero problems registrating it in California.

I was referring to motor homes. I should have said that. I was responding to a person buying a motor home.

I am not aware of any problems registering trailers.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer