Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #21

Licensing is also an issue. We were thinking of buying our AFrame from another province but we were told by ICBC (we live in BC) that they would not deliver a license plate to us until the unit would be in BC and that, to carry the unit back here, we'd need permits from each province we would drive in... Rules are probably different depending on the provinces but it's worth checking before buying out of province. Best of luck.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqulik View Post
Licensing is also an issue. We were thinking of buying our AFrame from another province but we were told by ICBC (we live in BC) that they would not deliver a license plate to us until the unit would be in BC and that, to carry the unit back here, we'd need permits from each province we would drive in... Rules are probably different depending on the provinces but it's worth checking before buying out of province. Best of luck.
This type of stuff is what makes me want to not buy from the US. You think you have everything covered, researched for months and you miss one thing and it screws up the whole thing
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #23

Well got a quote from RV Wholesalers, very helpful person. Olly thing is delivery even to the Montana border is a killer, but so far I havent found on in Montana

The model with all options we want would be converted to $29592.35 Canadian, mostly becaue of the delivery cost.

I would still need to pay GST on top of that, although the US price, and other fees and pain in the ass stuff.

I have gotten quotes here now for very low 30's and one just under 30, so it might be worthwhile to do it local.

But we arent in a rush, so will do some more home work
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #24

When I purchased my sabre, my cdn price I paid was the same ( in cdn funds) as quotes I got from us dealers.
In other words.. cheaper in Canada.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
When I purchased my sabre, my cdn price I paid was the same ( in cdn funds) as quotes I got from us dealers.
In other words.. cheaper in Canada.
5 years ago when we bought new, when the dollar was on par, or even above, we got a great deal locally. Now the same trailer is 12K higher, because of the exchange.

I do get that trailer prices fluctuate for the dealers here because of the dollar, and if they buy at the wrong time, it can be bad for them. As in buy when the dollar us lower, and then it does up.

I doubt we will see on par anytime soon. if it wasnt for delivery prices, the prices would be low. But when you look at 5K Canadian just to deliver to the border, that right there minuses any savings

If I could find one in Montana since we are close to the border, then I would drive and just get it. But no luck so far.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #26

I was going to buy my MH in the usa.. But nobody would/could take my ram in on trade.
I wanted to trade the 5th and the truck together.
For obvious tax reasons.

You cannot register a ram outside it’s original sale country.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
To the point, I know ZERO about this. But after seeing the same trailer in Canada for $39,900 and the same one in Iowa is $19,500, I am thinking of trying this.

Even with exchange, its works out to about $25000 Canadian. Lets add another 5K for incidents and tax.

Thats basically 10K saved.

Who from Canada on here has done this option. Im sure I am missing a lot, and maybe and under selling how much I might be saving.
Not from Canada but a fine country! Last I heard, the trailer will have to meet Canadian Standards in construction. The electrical is the primary issue. Check with your import laws before you purchase. I "believe" the RVIA in the United States has information which outlines the CSA rating issues.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Not from Canada but a fine country! Last I heard, the trailer will have to meet Canadian Standards in construction. The electrical is the primary issue. Check with your import laws before you purchase. I "believe" the RVIA in the United States has information which outlines the CSA rating issues.
Perform a search on this website using Canada import. There is several good articles on the subject.

I would be very leery of buying without the CSA sticker.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #29

We bought a boat in the US. The procedures stated already are pretty accurate. Just make sure you have legitimate receipts with names addresses of buyer and seller and full description and serial numbers. And they did check ours. Once checked it was a mater of paying the taxman and we where on pur way. We where only in customs for 15 to 20 minutes. Just in case anybody is interested a boat and trailer are 2 units with 2 separate receipt. Basically as the trailer needs inspection and you pay the state to plate it. the boat you pay both taxes at customs.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
5 years ago when we bought new, when the dollar was on par, or even above, we got a great deal locally. Now the same trailer is 12K higher, because of the exchange.

I do get that trailer prices fluctuate for the dealers here because of the dollar, and if they buy at the wrong time, it can be bad for them. As in buy when the dollar us lower, and then it does up.

I doubt we will see on par anytime soon. if it wasnt for delivery prices, the prices would be low. But when you look at 5K Canadian just to deliver to the border, that right there minuses any savings

If I could find one in Montana since we are close to the border, then I would drive and just get it. But no luck so far.
For that price you should consider a fly/drive road trip. It might be a lot of fun.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
For that price you should consider a fly/drive road trip. It might be a lot of fun.
True, just not my style though. Im patient and not in a rush, which is the one thing dealers hate to hear

Tags
canada