Old 08-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Buying in the US but live in Canada

To the point, I know ZERO about this. But after seeing the same trailer in Canada for $39,900 and the same one in Iowa is $19,500, I am thinking of trying this.

Even with exchange, its works out to about $25000 Canadian. Lets add another 5K for incidents and tax.

Thats basically 10K saved.

Who from Canada on here has done this option. Im sure I am missing a lot, and maybe and under selling how much I might be saving.

spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Tons of Canadians have bought RVs from US dealers, like RVW, RV Direct and others.
I believe RVW has a Web page just for Canadian customers.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Tons of Canadians have bought RVs from US dealers, like RVW, RV Direct and others.
I believe RVW has a Web page just for Canadian customers.
Thanks, Ill look into. we arent in a rush to buy, and will wait until spring to buy. No sense buying a trailer to have it sit for 6 months and use up warranty

Ill be using an invoice I got from the US dealership as a bargaining tool. Ask why such a huge mark up. Basically dealerships do the same thing, just in bulk.

If I can get them low enough I have no issue buying here, but if not 10K is to big a pile to pass up
Old 08-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Thanks, Ill look into. we arent in a rush to buy, and will wait until spring to buy. No sense buying a trailer to have it sit for 6 months and use up warranty
Spring is the worse time to buy for price and delivery time, since it's the peak buying time and dealers are much less willing to negotiate the price.
Factory delivery times are also extended.

But since we live on the West Coast and we can camp year-round, we buy our RVs in the late fall, when dealers want to get rid of old inventory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Spring is the worse time to buy for price and delivery time, since it's the peak buying time and dealers are much less willing to negotiate the price.
Factory delivery times are also extended.

But since we live on the West Coast and we can camp year-round, we buy our RVs in the late fall, when dealers want to get rid of old inventory.

That's true, problem is finding one up here to negotiate a price, and finding the time to do the deal.

We wish we could camp all year. We just got back from a month strait and are done for the year

Ill do some snooping, most places I contact say about ordering them. Im thinking I wont get a deal if I order, only if they have one on the lot
Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Selective Curmudgeon

Not sure if posting the direct url is allowed... this might be of interest...

HolmanRV(dot)com then click on "Shop" then "Canadian Customers".

This dealer is in the Cincinnati Ohio area, so may be too far east but has some great information and obviously, experience. And rock bottom prices.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

I purchased my first trailer in the US. Easy peasy, pay the tax, get an inspection, take that paper and license it. Inspection is a formality...if it's a unit that is also sold in Canada, no chance it'll need mods to pass. Only problem could be finding someone to perform warranty service but I didn't need it. Traded it in 2 years later and got almost what I'd paid
Fluffywhitedogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
WFD

We have done it twice....very easy....so easy in fact you leave the border thinking something is wrong and you'll get bit! Go on the RIV(registrar of Imported vehicles) website...they overlook the whole process, and issue you your import papers. The website talks about importing vehicles as well as trailers. Difference with importing a trailer is that you do not require paperwork to be at the US border 72 hrs prior to your arrival as you do with motorised vehicles. But check on that because it's been a couple years since we last did it and rules may have changed. You also do not need to report to the US customs side prior to reporting to Canadian customs when importing a travel trailer. Canada customs will have you fill in a long RIV form, and very gladly collect the GST from you on site. You will then have to pay the RIV fee(was $400 when we last did it), this includes the joke of an inspection Canadian Tire is contracted to perform. Cdn Tire inspection will take all of 5 min. You need to take the trailer to them, they come out, look at a couple things, sign the paper and off you go.

I think with todays exchange, saving 10k might be a bit of a stretch, but we did save that kind of money when the dollar was closer to par. And as was previously mentioned, most Canadian dealers will blow you off with warranty issues once they see you purchased in the US. But if you save that much, its worth the risk...most incidental things you can fix yourself, and if you have to pay a private rv repair guy to fix something, you are still way ahead.
In our case we negotiated with the US dealer in Dec...they put in a factory order for the same price, with a deposit, and it was ready for us to pick up in spring.
Feel free to private message me if you need any more info.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
WFD

Also...what area of the country are you in? There are a few Canadian dealers that come awfully close to US pricing after factoring in the exchange, depending on what brand of trailer you are considering...do your homework.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

Friends of ours live in Moncton & ship items in Calais ME for later pickup. There are some rules to your advantage if you have the item in the US for a short period of time vs immediate transport home. They bought their motorhome this way. I'll see them in Acadia, ME the end of this month & ask if you want.

As previously posted, the exchange rate isn't so good right now so you may not save much at all. Next spring you may have a much better rate.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmast View Post
Not sure if posting the direct url is allowed... this might be of interest...

HolmanRV(dot)com then click on "Shop" then "Canadian Customers".

This dealer is in the Cincinnati Ohio area, so may be too far east but has some great information and obviously, experience. And rock bottom prices.
Thanks, but from the looks of it, they dont carry the line I want, They have Forest River, but not the Micro Lites
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I purchased my first trailer in the US. Easy peasy, pay the tax, get an inspection, take that paper and license it. Inspection is a formality...if it's a unit that is also sold in Canada, no chance it'll need mods to pass. Only problem could be finding someone to perform warranty service but I didn't need it. Traded it in 2 years later and got almost what I'd paid
Warranty is usually only a year anyway it seems, and really, if a dealership can get them from the states and warranty is fine, why cant just an individual.

But thats just my opinion
Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Also...what area of the country are you in? There are a few Canadian dealers that come awfully close to US pricing after factoring in the exchange, depending on what brand of trailer you are considering...do your homework.
Live in Alberta, and Ill be using the invoices from the US to ask about the huge price difference. While I dont expect dealers to give things at cost, it will give me the advantage I think to lower it to a normal or closer price

Id prefer to buy here, or local. One dealership we have bought two trailers from the last 8 years, Ill use that to my advantage to.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #14

It usually depends on the unit you are looking at.

Bigger price tag units, they usually stay pretty firm.. As there may not be much of any thing else to choose from.

Grove Rv in Edmonton, has a 2016 Dynamax dx3 for 369.. firm. You could get a 2018 for 50k less from the usa.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
We have done it twice....very easy....so easy in fact you leave the border thinking something is wrong and you'll get bit! Go on the RIV(registrar of Imported vehicles) website...they overlook the whole process, and issue you your import papers. The website talks about importing vehicles as well as trailers. Difference with importing a trailer is that you do not require paperwork to be at the US border 72 hrs prior to your arrival as you do with motorised vehicles. But check on that because it's been a couple years since we last did it and rules may have changed. You also do not need to report to the US customs side prior to reporting to Canadian customs when importing a travel trailer. Canada customs will have you fill in a long RIV form, and very gladly collect the GST from you on site. You will then have to pay the RIV fee(was $400 when we last did it), this includes the joke of an inspection Canadian Tire is contracted to perform. Cdn Tire inspection will take all of 5 min. You need to take the trailer to them, they come out, look at a couple things, sign the paper and off you go.

I think with todays exchange, saving 10k might be a bit of a stretch, but we did save that kind of money when the dollar was closer to par. And as was previously mentioned, most Canadian dealers will blow you off with warranty issues once they see you purchased in the US. But if you save that much, its worth the risk...most incidental things you can fix yourself, and if you have to pay a private rv repair guy to fix something, you are still way ahead.
In our case we negotiated with the US dealer in Dec...they put in a factory order for the same price, with a deposit, and it was ready for us to pick up in spring.
Feel free to private message me if you need any more info.
Thanks for the info, very informative. Maybe 10K is a stretch. But when one in the US is 19, 500, and up here is 39,900, even with exchange, thats 24,800 Canadian. Plus GST rounded up to $1500, thats 26, 300. Lets round it to 27K. Plus Fees, gas and Travel, we can do a 3-4K round up, thats 31K

So Maybe not 10K, but close. Thats just some general quick math

Not If I can get the same trailer here for around that price, then Id just do it here. I did find one new, a 2016 for 29,900, but it was sold already
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It usually depends on the unit you are looking at.

Bigger price tag units, they usually stay pretty firm.. As there may not be much of any thing else to choose from.

Grove Rv in Edmonton, has a 2016 Dynamax dx3 for 369.. firm. You could get a 2018 for 50k less from the usa.
50K, even with exchange and all the fees and extra work, would be worth it for sure
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Scotsman

Warranty!!

We did this 2 years ago down in Florida. The interest rates were close to 92% so your dealing with a different animal altogether. Everything went pretty smoothly when everyone did their job right. Our biggest problem was the Warranty. Before you buy in the States make sure that the dealer or Manufacture will offer you the Canadian CSA package to be applied to the RV. This will mean that your RV meets CSA regulations Depending on who is doing it, it should be anywhere from $250.00 to maybe $500.00. I'm not sure but this CSA package maybe required to be installed by the Manufacture as they are putting it together? We ordered from the Manufacture through the dealer. No one every mentioned that this CSA package was available, no one. We thought that things had changed over many years and there was not as much difference between US and Canada. Boy was I wrong. What made things even worse we bought a second year of Warranty at a great price of around $113.00 I believe and still nothing was mentioned about the CSA. When we attempted to get warrant work done back in Canada we were treated like we were from an other planet. Bottom line we had no warranty in Canada. Both the dealer and Manufacture both knew that we were from Canada but nothing was said about CSA standards. This could also be an issue with your Canadian Insurance Com. not sure. I wish you all the best in this venture but turn over every stone that you can find and then some. Cheers!
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

This RV dealer sells lots of RV's through their website including many to Canadians.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
importing from the US.

we have imported travel trailers and 5th wheels from t6he US a number of times. Certainly the price difference you refer to would make it economical to import. But first have you low balled the Canadian dealer? Importing is quite simple actually. . to going over we went on line to identify the documents we would need to import. There are a couple. Also be sure that the US model is certified for delivery to Canada. The manufacturer should be able to tell you.
The dealer may say yes but possibly not entirely truthful. We went with cash so we had to declare our cash as we entered the US. Then at the purchase get all of the documentation from the dealer. Depending on where you buy, you may need to license the trailer in that state. We always bought used so we arranged that the seller would leave his plate on the unit and we would mail it back once we were home. (Michigan requires that you license the new trailer there even if it is only for a day or so.) Now when you get to the Canadian border they will want you to fill out the import documentation, prove with a receipt exactly what you paid for the unit and pay the GST. Then when you get home you have to take the trailer to a Canadian Tire store to have it "Canadian" certified. Once you do that then you can license the trailer in Canada and pay your provincial tax. Even if you bought in Canada you would have to pay those two taxes anyway. Buying in the states and converting that price to Canadian means that you will be paying tax on a much lower amount. One other thought..talk to your US dealer and see if he will deliver your unit right to the border crossing you choose. You could meet him there. Hope this helps. Vern
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
we have imported travel trailers and 5th wheels from t6he US a number of times. Certainly the price difference you refer to would make it economical to import. But first have you low balled the Canadian dealer? Importing is quite simple actually. . to going over we went on line to identify the documents we would need to import. There are a couple. Also be sure that the US model is certified for delivery to Canada. The manufacturer should be able to tell you.
The dealer may say yes but possibly not entirely truthful. We went with cash so we had to declare our cash as we entered the US. Then at the purchase get all of the documentation from the dealer. Depending on where you buy, you may need to license the trailer in that state. We always bought used so we arranged that the seller would leave his plate on the unit and we would mail it back once we were home. (Michigan requires that you license the new trailer there even if it is only for a day or so.) Now when you get to the Canadian border they will want you to fill out the import documentation, prove with a receipt exactly what you paid for the unit and pay the GST. Then when you get home you have to take the trailer to a Canadian Tire store to have it "Canadian" certified. Once you do that then you can license the trailer in Canada and pay your provincial tax. Even if you bought in Canada you would have to pay those two taxes anyway. Buying in the states and converting that price to Canadian means that you will be paying tax on a much lower amount. One other thought..talk to your US dealer and see if he will deliver your unit right to the border crossing you choose. You could meet him there. Hope this helps. Vern
Excellent advice. My first goal would be to get a good price in Canada, something that is within reason that would make me feel ok paying and not deal with the hassle. I have been looking more for my model, and emailing dealers. Ones that were listed 39,900, others are listed at 31K.

Another option is to go to the dealership Ive dealt with locally twice for two trailer, and odds and ends parts, and tell him my plans. basically say if you can get it to a certain price point, then I will sure buy from you

Tags
canada