Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #1

Buying our first motorhome - help!

We are considering buying a 2010 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK which has about 5000 miles on it - does anyone have any comments, good or bad, regarding this unit. I am concerned that it is too long and difficult to get around in. We don't want to tow a car if we don't have to. We are also looking at a Forest River Lexington 255, which obviously is smaller and we probably would not need a tow vehicle. This would be our first motorhome. Anyone have any comments???
doglover116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #2

It usually depends on a lot of issues. How much do you intend to use it? Do you have animals you take with you? Kids? How well do you and your spouse get along in confined spaces for a long time?

The floorplan is usually what sells an RV. You have to be happy with the layout and it has to be usable for your purposes.

One bit of advice I always give people that sounds funny but it is to sit down on the toilet. Many people don't consider the space in the bathroom as important until they figure out that their knees are under their chin while trying to use the throne.

Many many RVrs have made a slow progression from small to larger RVs as they realize that they need more room. This can cost a lot of money as you trade in rigs to move up in size. Think of the future not just the present.

You state you don't want to tow a vehicle but it isn't that big a deal and really gives you the best in versatility. We would never be without our Toad now as it allows us to set up a "base" camp and drive out to explore the surrounding area with ease.

Ultimately it comes down to what serves you best.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. As NWJeeper said, floor plan and space needed are the main items to consider. I you don't want to tow, you can usually rent a car for a day when needed. I think that between the added tolls, fuel usage needed to tow and worrying about the toad, renting a car occasionally is more economical. JMHO.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I have to agree that you need to start with what are you using the unit for and what type of travelling will you do. We started with a C but left that because you couldn't see out of the front while in motion which left those not in the driver's or passenger's seat out of the fun of the trip. Next was an A with no slides, but it became a real pain knocking down the table and couch for sleeping quarters for the kids. Next an A with slides and bunks and another gasser. Doesn't fit well with our current long distance travel plans, so.....we now have a diesel pusher with bunks. Had we been able to go right to the big rig we could have saved more than a few $$$.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

I agree with all of the above. Get one that is big enough to start at the beginning. Slides are important as they offer so much more room. We bought our first rv and within 1 year we traded up to a new one with 3 slides. You will save money at the beginning by getting the right one at the start. Now, we wish we would have got one with 4 slides and little bigger!! We weren't sure we could handle a larger one and have learned we not only can but do it very well!!
DBINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #6

Oh....and we have 2 babies....4 legged and furry. They go everywhere with us and we don't have any worries about what to do with them when we travel. They love it and we enjoy them so much....they are right in the coach with us.
DBINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #7

floorplan that suits you is always the best way to go
we started with a 30 ft fiver 1 slide , then a 30 ft towable 1 slide to a 38 ft triple slide fiver to now a bus with 6 slides

go sit in them, drive them, run off the sales guy, take a few hrs to "live" in it. lay on the bed,
open drawers, open the slides, close em and see what you can get to or not get to,

find what you like and can afford.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We were looking at Jayco Class "C" units, actually took the tour at the plant in Indiana. Real nice units, we were interested in the Granite Ridge 31SS at the time. They no longer make that line. When we started getting serious about the purchase we looked at quite a few Class "C" units, different manaufacturers. Then we saw the Georgetowns at an RV Show and the difference in cost wasn't too much. Most importantly we loved the layout with the bath and a half. We have three daughters so two bathrooms are better than one. We decided to go for the Class "A" which we eventually planned to go to in the future but wouldn't be losing money on the trade in or resale of a Class "C". Just something to consider.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote