Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #21

RV Shopping and how much can you save?

I fully agree with the post talking about the "Great Deal" vs picking a good unit.
When were getting the buy a new RV bug we were shopping at several general area dealers. At one of the lots owned by the company, we bought ours from in 2014. They had a couple up front units to get the traffic I guess, with a big price cut advertised.
I walked through and was really shocked by the condition of this trailer. The 5th wheel was the worst put together brand new RV I had ever been in! Misaligned cabinetry, staple holes all over the place, carpet gaps and very dark colors that actually accentuated the staple problems.
I can't imagine why the dealer wouldn't have just sent the unit back, so they were selling it at a "deal" that, if you found the others like it out back, wasn't that great a deal anyway!
And, I can't imagine the person that would take the chance and buy the thing, if what you can see is done so poorly, what about what you can't?
We love to look and price comparing online looks to us like California prices are considerably less than many prices locally here in the Northwest. But then, the same out in the mid-west too, lower prices in what we're looking at.
We're just kinda stuck from buying anyplace else by the prevailing area dealer attitude of "if you didn't buy it from us, we won't fix it".
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
We bought ours from Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo, CA. The sales price was heavily discounted so there was little negotiation on it. He said if I could find one cheaper within a reasonable distance we could talk about that.

Instead of finding one for the lowest price I would look at customer reviews on the dealers and get a reputable dealer, some people have had some bad experiences with some dealers.

Our experience with Trailer Hitch RV was great, and feel they prepped the unit well. This is an area where dealers can shortcut to save $ and there could be some RVs sold without sufficient prep.

If Trailer Hitch RV is within reach check them out. They have a website.

Btw, they were a 3.5 hrs drive for me and it was worth it.
Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo is around 5 minutes from us. We've been there a lot. They do not negotiate on their prices. Their line: "We have the lowest prices of anyone on the west coast."
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlosh View Post
Not sure where your at but I'm looking for a new 2503s best price was Santa Rosa RV or Best RV in Turlock.

I wouldn't buy from Best RV. We were going to buy our trailer their but the owner is very rude and the reviews on the service department are not good. We bought our trailer at Toscano RV in Los Banos and are very happy.
znate80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #24

"EVERYTHING in California costs more. My standard $13 haircut at Greatclips which I have had in many states around the country is $17 in California. Even fruit and veggies are expensive, crazy."

YES , this is because the CA air police have special rules for CA trucks.

It is now common to drop the load in Nevada , so a CA legal truck can go make the delivery.

Special trucks and a ware house costs money and every purchase in CA gets to pay for the buroRat Utopia.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #25

I favor buying a "fresh" newly delivered trailer that hasn't been sitting for months getting abused by window shoppers and salesman alike...preferably closer to home in So Cal so I can inspect it first. Turlock has one in-stock but the logistics of shopping/buying/trading in 325 miles away make me hesitate even though they have the best price. Nipomo is a little closer but their units have been sitting unsold for months and their quoted prices are higher. Hesperia has one on order (claimed 2 to 3 weeks from delivery) but they can't/won't provide documentation that would confirm what I am negotiating on. If I wait for this one to show up the other options might not be there any longer. A bit frustrating...
StaceyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR View Post
I favor buying a "fresh" newly delivered trailer that hasn't been sitting for months getting abused by window shoppers and salesman alike...preferably closer to home in So Cal so I can inspect it first. Turlock has one in-stock but the logistics of shopping/buying/trading in 325 miles away make me hesitate even though they have the best price. Nipomo is a little closer but their units have been sitting unsold for months and their quoted prices are higher. Hesperia has one on order (claimed 2 to 3 weeks from delivery) but they can't/won't provide documentation that would confirm what I am negotiating on. If I wait for this one to show up the other options might not be there any longer. A bit frustrating...
If units are"sitting for months getting abused by window shoppers," why do you think "the other options won't be there any longer?"

Seems they'd still be there getting abused!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Probably about the best you are going to do. If you want to save 2-3 grand off the sales price buying in the Midwest and hauling it back to Cali yourself that is an option. Otherwise just pay the man if you really want it.
EVERYTHING in California costs more. My standard $13 haircut at Greatclips which I have had in many states around the country is $17 in California. Even fruit and veggies are expensive, crazy.

Wine is normally cheaper!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #28

Quote:

We ordered and bought our TT at Major RV in Hesperia. Brandon hooked us up. Transaction was stress free. We will buy from them again when upgrade time comes.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlosh View Post
Not sure where your at but I'm looking for a new 2503s best price was Santa Rosa RV or Best RV in Turlock.
Best RV has very good prices. As good as I saw through out the country and I was willing to drive almost anywhere to pick it up since we would take a leisurely trip on the way home. They were the best price around for the Rockwood we were thinking about getting. We ended up deciding on our Coachmen and drove out to Arizona to get it.

Best RV in Turlock was non pushy and we figured we could bargain a little off their already very good prices.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #30

Quote:

I would stay away from Best RV in Turlock. We were going to buy our trailer there but the owner is extremely rude and degrading. I bought ours at Toscano RV in Los Banos and they are great and got a price just as good as Best RV.
znate80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by znate80 View Post
I would stay away from Best RV in Turlock. We were going to buy our trailer there but the owner is extremely rude and degrading. I bought ours at Toscano RV in Los Banos and they are great and got a price just as good as Best RV.

X2 on Best RV
Please read Yelp reviews so you know who you are dealing with before going in there.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
X2 on Best RV
Please read Yelp reviews so you know who you are dealing with before going in there.
x3!
we went there to shop back in 2006. they were pushy and dishonest. and i've read tons of reviews that they haven't changed much.
sales was ok but no service after the sale.

our experience was so negative, we drove from Napa, Ca. to Chicago and back, to get our new HTT.
saved over $4000 even after trip costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #33

Interesting...I have a friend who has bought 2 RVs from Best RV and is going to buy a 3rd this year. He thinks they are great.

Since I live 6 hours from them, I wouldn't be considering the service after the sale.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #34

The original posting of this thread is pretty old, wonder where the OP finally bought from and if they had any interactions with Best RV?

We bought from there in late 2015, they had the best price in CA and were only a couple of hours away from us. We have never had any service done there, other than the PDI, which was good. The PDI would have been rated as great but the Tech told me, no problem to leave the table up when transporting but that was wrong, you can leave it up, but it will rub on the wall... Ah, I take that back, 2 other techs setup the the WDH during the PDI and forgot to torque down the ball, so I would be suspect on their service. If you plan on using them for service, that might affect your choice on buying from them. If we buy again and it is from them, we wouldn't use their service anyway. From all that I learned in the last couple of years, I would find someone local to where ever I am at to do the service and fix anything I can myself.

The sales people were easy to deal with, no better or worse than the dozen or so we talked with at other dealer ships, (most of the sales people at all the dealerships really didn't know specifics on any of the TT and in some cases we knew more than they did ). Yes, the owner did not have the most pleasant personality but we didn't meet or deal with him until the very end of the deal and he didn't influence us one way or the other.

Bottom line we would buy from them again. They had the best deal in CA on the TT we wanted.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, dealer