Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

California dealer advertised price = best price?

I've been shopping for a fairly loaded Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS with a MSRP around $35k (inc. shipping) and dealer "advertised best price" of $24.5k to 25.5k at several dealers. This is nearly 30% of retail. Is this a "take it or leave it" best price or is there more room for a better price? I've been shopping mostly by phone and email due to distance to dealer issues and nobody seems willing to go lower than their listed price. Will a physical visit to sit down with sales manager make a difference? I'm willing to commit to a deal over the phone and give them a deposit by credit card to secure a specific unit. Is this not enough to let them know I am serious?

Please share your similar purchase experience. Any advise appreciated!
StaceyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR View Post
I've been shopping for a fairly loaded Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS with a MSRP around $35k (inc. shipping) and dealer "advertised best price" of $24.5k to 25.5k at several dealers. This is nearly 30% of retail. Is this a "take it or leave it" best price or is there more room for a better price? I've been shopping mostly by phone and email due to distance to dealer issues and nobody seems willing to go lower than their listed price. Will a physical visit to sit down with sales manager make a difference? I'm willing to commit to a deal over the phone and give them a deposit by credit card to secure a specific unit. Is this not enough to let them know I am serious?

We just went through negotiations for our used 2016 Forester class C. Negotiating on used is a little more difficult. The way I see it, there is always room for a better price. The sales manager was really difficult to deal with and definitely put me through his paces. When they came close to the price we had in mind, I had them throw in a $250 gift card for their store and we shook hands on a deal.

I would negotiate from their sale price. I think there is more room for negotiating on a trailer than a motorhome. Get some online quotes from the wholesalers and start with that. Keep in mind that California is more expensive because most products are made back east, and they will tack on freight charges. Walk in prepared and confident!
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

P S - Our RV was 5 hours away. The sales manager wanted me to commit to a sales price over the phone. I wouldn't do that. I told him I didn't want to start talking numbers until we saw the unit. Personally, I think it's much better negotiating price in person. But if you can't, just have all the comparisons and stick to the price you're comfortable with within reason. I'm not positive but I think 35% - 40% off MSRP is the norm for trailers. Just do the research.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:

Where are the dealers you're dealing with?
West Coast or Midwest?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

In my area... the lot price would be 15-20% off and 30-35 off on the "wholesale" price.
IMO if you get it for 40% off... drive it like you stole it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
In my area... the lot price would be 15-20% off and 30-35 off on the "wholesale" price.
IMO if you get it for 40% off... drive it like you stole it.
You don't live out West, where dealers jack up prices, not only on the rigs but on shipping costs.
So, your advice doesn't work out here.

They know very few will drive to the Midwest to save thousands of dollars. So they can charge what ever they want and customers have little negotiation power.

I was one of those few that did.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #7

California dealer advertised price = best price?

Probably about the best you are going to do. If you want to save 2-3 grand off the sales price buying in the Midwest and hauling it back to Cali yourself that is an option. Otherwise just pay the man if you really want it.
EVERYTHING in California costs more. My standard $13 haircut at Greatclips which I have had in many states around the country is $17 in California. Even fruit and veggies are expensive, crazy.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

IMO 30% OFF MSRP is a average/solid deal with a local dealer you know will prioritize future warranty/repair work. However, at this price I would expect to be able to pick the best-of-the-litter vs. locking-into a single unit they want to get off their hands... IMO dealers tend to push the lemons onto folks who are willing to buy sight unseen...

We live in Ohio where several 35%-40% OFF wholesalers are less than a 4 hour drive away... However, on lower-priced units, the extra 5%-10% OFF is only $1500-$3000 difference & for that minimal amount I'd rather be able to choose the best on the lot vs. getting a slightly better deal...

For instance, our local dealer, just 10 minutes from work, had 8 same brand/model TTs on their lot all at 30% OFF. My plan was to inspect all of the new units & carefully pick the best of the litter...

Because I could stop after work, I purposefully stopped in bad, rainy weather & found one new unit that leaked water badly, even though the salesperson confirmed that all vents, windows, etc. were closed. As they wrote-up the work order I scratched that one off my list & moved onto the next. Some had more fit & finish issues than others or appeared to have sat on the lot longer than others... Out of 8, I found 2 that I would actually consider driving home. In the end I ended-up buying a like-new USED unit that was discounted accordingly because of the sale on new units...

Although I couldn't get the dealer to drop the price of the used unit any lower than they advertised online, (which was the same as used units on Craigslist, etc.) they included a "FREE" Equalizer 4 1200 WDH & installation, pressurized leak test & re-caulking and 2.5 hour PDI where they adjusted all slide-outs, awning, replaced the battery, propane, CO2 detector, etc.

We were able to camp the next 3 years without a single issue. Last summer I replaced a slow-to-cool Dometic fridge with a larger residential/inverter. LOVE the extra fridge/freezer space for our family of 5 & it's cool & ready to load in 1 hour... Point is, had I not stopped in-person I would have not found this gem...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #9

If this helps I just bought a 2017 Rockwood 2504s w/MSPR of 33,180 and paid 24,750 out the door. I think I got a fair deal. In CA also.
znate80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

Not sure where your at but I'm looking for a new 2503s best price was Santa Rosa RV or Best RV in Turlock.
vlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Nothing has to be take it or leave it, except the offer you give the dealer for what you are willing to pay.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have found that when dealing by phone on "best price". Dealers that are willing to negotiate will call back. On the other hand I have found that RV Nation has the best pricing. Although a wholesaler, the cost savings might pay your trade-in off.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #13

I searched far and wide plus, being retired, was able to look around the country if the price warranted it.
Ultimately, I found what I think was a great deal 150 miles from home. They had it discounted already but I found out it had been on the lot for 5 months and they were sick of it. I didn't get the SS package my wife wanted (I didn't care), electric theater seats (got manual) and I didn't want the paint package because I'm on gravel and sand roads a bunch.
I talked to the sales manager and told him I had 2 options within 3 hours of home. He finally asked what I wanted to pay. I told him I'd give him $5,000 less than his advertised price, he choked and went to talk to the owner. He came back and accepted A day later I was driving back from Phoenix with my new 5er.
Still not sure why it was on their lot that long after using it for a year. I've had a few warrantee issues but FR took care of everything and I haven't had to take it back to the dealer once.
I couldn't be happier and the dealer has helped with the warrantee items by having the parts shipped to me.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:

We negotiated over the phone and internet with a dealer in Canada while we were wintering in Arizona. We got a good deal and he ordered the new trailer so that it would be available when we got home and we did not even have to give him a deposit.
Tell them you are serious and if a satisfactory offer is made, you will put a deposit. If they give you the runaround, tell them thank you and you will go to another dealer. If their hungry, they will deal.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #15

We bought ours from Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo, CA. The sales price was heavily discounted so there was little negotiation on it. He said if I could find one cheaper within a reasonable distance we could talk about that.

Instead of finding one for the lowest price I would look at customer reviews on the dealers and get a reputable dealer, some people have had some bad experiences with some dealers.

Our experience with Trailer Hitch RV was great, and feel they prepped the unit well. This is an area where dealers can shortcut to save $ and there could be some RVs sold without sufficient prep.

If Trailer Hitch RV is within reach check them out. They have a website.

Btw, they were a 3.5 hrs drive for me and it was worth it.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #16

We checked out both Turlock and Santa Rosa before ordering our Rockwood 2715vs. The Turlock dealer's in stock (2) were priced at 30k, but dirty, items missing (tv, shelving). They would probably scavenge from another trailer if we bought there. Santa Rosa was clean, all parts appeared to be there. We decided to order a new one since the stock ones didn't have exact colors etc. and we upgraded a few things. Paid 31.5k. Reviews were better for Santa Rosa also.
ncebeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #17

Advertised Price

We found our toy hauler online, advertised about 2K below what we found other places. Called to confirm we wanted the unit, drove down, 250 miles, to pick it up, and discovered it had been mislabeled on the website. They wanted to back out of the deal, but they knew we had come out of town. We got the trailer for what it was advertised, but we did not get a free TV thrown in too, as advertised. Dealership claimed they only made $600, so if we had bought @ actual price, they would have made $2600! If you look, sometimes you will find a "deal" and that is the great thing about online.

cseeger22
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlosh View Post
Not sure where your at but I'm looking for a new 2503s best price was Santa Rosa RV or Best RV in Turlock.
Don't know if this helps for comparison, but I paid $18,500 for my 2503S in Wisconsin in Feb. 2015. Oyster shell.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #19

Tennessee

I traveled to North Georgia to get my unit, Wolf Pack 2412. We spent in the low 20's after the dust settled on the deal. I am not familiar with your unit, I will have to check it out online.

cseeger22
'04 2500 Suburban Quadrasteer
'15 Wolf Pack 2412
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Probably about the best you are going to do. If you want to save 2-3 grand off the sales price buying in the Midwest and hauling it back to Cali yourself that is an option. Otherwise just pay the man if you really want it.
2-3 grand savings up-front may sound good, but you will realize time and travel cost to get to the Midwest and back. Then once your home you may get a reality check when a warranty issue should arise and you take it to your local dealer for repair. Yup, they'll handle your warranty work, when they get around to it. All of THEIR customers will come first while you are at the back of the line. This forum is full of posts where folks have tried to get warranty work done at a home town dealership after they purchased from a wholesaler halfway across the continent. Many claim their RV was at the dealership for 1, sometimes 2 months of prime camping season awaiting repairs. Many felt this pain and resigned themselves to doing the repairs themselves, out of pocket. This further eats into that 2-3 grand savings. Sure, FR will authorize your warranty work, but RV dealerships are not like auto dealerships. Their priorities are their customers.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, dealer