Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
DnJ

California gas prices

Just wondered how many Californians have cancelled travel plans due to the high fuel prices. We had planned nine or ten day trip from Northern California to the Pomona area down 395, but called it off.
DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

"supply and demand" my toosch

I've got a good friend who was in the oil and gas business before he (and I) retired - we sometimes make the mistake of getting into a conversation about o&g rip-offs, er, fluctuating prices

we've the good sense to end the "conversations" before either one of us gets irritated enough to put a dent in our get-togethers

(however, I think these wild fluctuations are total b.s.).....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
"supply and demand" my toosch

I've got a good friend who was in the oil and gas business before he (and I) retired - we sometimes make the mistake of getting into a conversation about o&g rip-offs, er, fluctuating prices

we've the good sense to end the "conversations" before either one of us gets irritated enough to put a dent in our get-togethers

(however, I think these wild fluctuations are total b.s.).....Bill
Since you are retired from the O&G business, I wonder if I can ask you a question. If you prefer not to answer I will understand.

My question is - why is Diesel so much more expersive than the other fuels you get from a barrel of oil?

When I was much younger, Diesel was so much cheaper than gasoline and that was one reason the big trucks used it instead of gas.

Isn't Diesel on the bottom of the "fuel chain" or to put it another way, isn't Diesel what is left over over from the barrel after all the other cuts are made?

Perhaps i put this in too simple terms, but I am amazed that Diesel now costs more than gasoline.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

I just got back from Las Vegas, where I filled up at Costco for $3.59 a gallon. I put gas in my truck yesterday at the Costco in Victorville for $4.43 a gallon.

The EPA, which requires that CA burns "clean" gas in the summer (ending 10/31/2010), and could allow us to use "winter blend", which is in stock and good supply, is being "reviewed for early release" by those who hold our life in their hands.

I for one, am sick and tired of the California political scene and the way they regulate our lives. If I could afford it, I would probably move someplace else. Oh well, just venting......

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

not me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
..Since you are retired from the O&G business..
retired from the o&g business ? not me - my friend is the old o&g guy - US Army 9 years, Airline Pilot 31 more for me - this is why he and I sometimes make the mistake of talking energy prices..

but here's some reading for ya (let google be your friend) :

Why Is Diesel More Expensive Than Regular Gas? - Seeking Alpha

Why is Diesel Fuel More Expensive Than Gasoline?

Why is diesel fuel is more expensive than gas? | fyiDriving

probably more but my "clicking right index finger" is tired.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

What are you guys in the States calling expensive for gasoline.I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near what I just paid here in Nova Scotia. It was 142.3 a liter.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

Water is next my friends.................you can't live without it !!!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
retired from the o&g business ? not me - my friend is the old o&g guy - US Army 9 years, Airline Pilot 31 more for me - this is why he and I sometimes make the mistake of talking energy prices..

Sorry for that slip up.It sounded to me like you and your friend were both retired from the O%G business.

Thanks for the reading material.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

We have our own water well.As long as our Canadian government doesn't start taxing the usage of it,we'll be alright.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
B47

Quote:

So it's the supply and demand thing plus those darn Europeans that is behind the high cost of Diesel.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I just got back from Las Vegas, where I filled up at Costco for $3.59 a gallon. I put gas in my truck yesterday at the Costco in Victorville for $4.43 a gallon.

The EPA, which requires that CA burns "clean" gas in the summer (ending 10/31/2010), and could allow us to use "winter blend", which is in stock and good supply, is being "reviewed for early release" by those who hold our life in their hands.

I for one, am sick and tired of the California political scene and the way they regulate our lives. If I could afford it, I would probably move someplace else. Oh well, just venting......

Forrest
We left there in 1991, the writing was on the wall! Moved to Idaho and never looked back. My only regret is not leaving sooner. That whole place is in a state of meltdown. Not quite sure what you mean by "if I could afford it"? That state is expensive to live in, you have to afford it to be able to live there. We left paid cash for a 62 acre farm and have no bills. We rent out the farm land and it pays for our property taxes and water with some extra for maintenance. I hate going back to visit family, can't wait to leave and get back home...
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #12

I got screwed!!!! Had this weekend all planned out. Couldnt change plans, cause of days off. Just spent 200 dollars off gas for tv and trailer for quads. Another 100 to get home.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

I've joked with friends that I'd gladly pay $10/gallon if it meant that much of the traffic and lunatics would get off the road. But alas, it wouldn't work that way.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #14

I used to say it doesn't matter how much i am camping. But that may not be so true.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
So it's the supply and demand thing plus those darn Europeans that is behind the high cost of Diesel.
Hey, don't blame us - if you folks would give up the 'big is beautiful' thing, you too could have a Ford Focus with a diesel engine that gets another 20mpg than the ones built in Europe for the US market!!. More diesel vehicles here - more demand - and the price would come down
Seriously, why isn't diesel a more commonly used fuel?

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenliner View Post
Hey, don't blame us - if you folks would give up the 'big is beautiful' thing, you too could have a Ford Focus with a diesel engine that gets another 20mpg than the ones built in Europe for the US market!!. More diesel vehicles here - more demand - and the price would come down
Seriously, why isn't diesel a more commonly used fuel?
Because they cost more, are sluggish, stink and are noisy?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Because they cost more, are sluggish, stink and are noisy?
Obviously, you haven't driven a diesel lately.
The greatest benefit of the diesels has always been their massive amounts of torque. And with the turbo, they maintain their power even at altitude. I used to have a gas job, but in the mountains it would be an incredible struggle up the long pulls going over a pass. With the diesel, I just put it on cruise and keep right up with traffic. No more follwing the semis creeping up the hill!

Once the market here catches on to how good the clean diesels are, we will likely see more of them. Although, with gas engines like the Ford EcoBoost series, the diesels may have a tougher time. If Ford ever comes out with a 5-liter EcoBoost, even their own diesels may have competition. Maybe that is why they haven't done it!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Obviously, you haven't driven a diesel lately...
That's true, but I've listened to a bunch of them and smelled the exhaust. Saw a 2012 1t Chevy Duramax and was impressed with it with how quiet it was and the man said it pulled like a tractor. But, to me, the cost is prohibitive.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #19

bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Love to see more diesel engines offered across all vehicle spectrums.,.

Better MPG
Better Longivity
Better Torque/Performance

I see more old gassers smoking and smelling on the road than the diesels and I have the older diesel truck that's the same but use to the odors