Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Always Learning

Camping World - changing prices

Well, that was weird. I just went to order some Handi-hoses from Camping World. Mostly because they currently/supposedly have the 10' "utility hose" in stock that I can't find anywhere else.

So, follow me here- it's a rambling story.

I started online:
  • Checkout page estimated shipping at $14.00
  • Checkout page offered a $5.00 discount
  • Checkout page had a box for me to enter my Good Sam membership # to check for discounts
    • My membership is expired, so I went and renewed that first on the Good Sam site

Back on the checkout page, I tried entering my (now renewed) membership # and it gave me a message that said, "Can't verify your membership. Try later or call us." (In hindsight, there are no actual discounts for the items I was ordering and this was all a glorious waste of time.)

I called them. He took my membership number, found me, and accepted all of the details of my order (items, coupon code, credit card and shipping). When he gave me the total, it was $2 more than the same online.

Turns out shipping was $2 more on the phone than online. I questioned it and he said, "I'm just reading from the screen." In a moment of brilliant cheapness, I told him to cancel the order and I'd simply place it online to save $2. So he did. And I did.

And then it only charged me $10 for shipping.

When it was all said and done, I was charged $6 less online than the same order placed on the phone due to cost differences in shipping.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Always Learning

Now, the insane part to all of this is - he said their warehouses are about a week behind in shipping stuff out. I'm very nervous that my hoses won't make it here before we leave.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
So, how does he notify the warehouse on the order?.........Pony Express...costs money to feed the horses. Good for you.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

Typical. I'm not at all a fan of CW and Good Sam's.

For the few dealings I had with CW more than half were just snafu'd. "in stock" items turning out to be 3 month long backorders. Don't even ask me about the insurance quotes..

My last straw with CW... I ordered the full rear mud flap at the "internet special" price. Five days later I received a call where they informed me that they really couldn't sell it for that price. I could pay an additional $45 or cancel my order.

Needless to say.. I chose the later and let my memberships lapse.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
WFD

I find that most of what I need can be had on Amazon for less and often ships for free.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Now, the insane part to all of this is - he said their warehouses are about a week behind in shipping stuff out. I'm very nervous that my hoses won't make it here before we leave.
None of this surprises me. Several years ago I wanted to place an order for a couple different things. CW had a great price on one, an average price on another, and a horrible price on a different one. Called them to see if they would match other vendors NON-sale price...big NO on that one.

I ended up only ordering the one item from CW.

Other items arrive from other vendors, nothing from CW. Call them, they cannot find order, suggest I order it again...mind you I had my receipt and order number. 2 weeks go by, be notification of shipping from UPS - then 3 days later they actually ship it.

Item arrives broken.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
Always Learning

I typically avoid Camping World. I find their prices higher than I can find on Amazon and long ship times make me ship my pants. BUT- they're legitimately the only place I've found the 10' flat "utility hoses" and their price wasn't bad for it. And, remarkably- their prices were very competitive for the 25' Handi Hose (better than most I found on Amazon).

I'm keeping my expectations low on this one.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

When I call to order something I have had them match the price I see online with no issues. Apparently pricing is different from a catalog to their website or even their internal computers. I agree I do try to avoid them and buy from Amazon.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
When I call to order something I have had them match the price I see online with no issues.
I wonder if that varies from physical store to store or not. I tried doing that once with a slide topper. They wanted $140 more in-store over the internet special price. They wouldn't match it, but they did agree to letting me bring it in once received and honor the $39 installation special. I never followed through with it, but thought it was kind of bad form not to offer at least some type of in-store discount... even if it was not as low as the online price.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
I wonder if that varies from physical store to store or not. I tried doing that once with a slide topper. They wanted $140 more in-store over the internet special price. They wouldn't match it, but they did agree to letting me bring it in once received and honor the $39 installation special. I never followed through with it, but thought it was kind of bad form not to offer at least some type of in-store discount... even if it was not as low as the online price.
Sears stores won't match their Internet counterpart. Makes me crazy- I can order online and pick it up in the store in usually 5-6 hours. Or, I can pay an extra $10 to go into the store right away. Doesn't make no sense.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #11

Yeah but CW's daily junk mail is awesome for cleaning the windows in my truck. I'm a half full kind of guy.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Doesn't make no sense.
I hear ya! I know they need to get X$'s return per square foot of retail space, but you would think they could get it together and even it out between the two. Then again.. if they can't be competitive with other online vendors they have to make up the difference somehow... stick it to the walk-in's.

What a world we live in.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

Cw in town here is high price. I find it on the web for cheaper, I bring the item from the web to their attention and they actually match their price here in my Cw in my local town. Of course I am on first name basis with all the sales people, so it must help.
But I guess each store is run differently

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

Glad (??) I'm not the only one to experience issues with CW. Tried to order something, got confirmation, waited over a week and nothing came. I called and they had no record of the order. Ended up ordering over the phone but it took well over a week to receive the items dispite paying for 3 day shipping. In any event that was the first and last time I ordered from CW. It is well worth a few extra bucks to get items in a timely fashion with little to no hassle.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #15

Remember if you print the internet sale price and take it to the store you will get it. I called the local store and had them check 3 items, all were in stock. I ask if they can put them aside for me? They said sure and gave them my name. Went to the store. Told the guy in parts about my stuff. He says no it's not here. I say i called and they pulled them for me. He says you called the company # not the store # i say i called the store # he says no problem what are you looking for. I tell him and we walk down to a computer and there are 2 of the 3 items i wanted sitting on the counter. I ask about them and he says "I don't know how they got there" Typical CW.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #16

Ditto, not a fan of CW. Latest example: Needed a Champion Parallel Operation Kit for two 2K generators. You can pick them up all day long for under $90. CW's SALE price is $109.99!! I ended up on eBay and bought a new one shipped for $50. I "shop" online and I find Amazon usually less expensive.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Well camping world does need to earn enough money to pay for all those good Sam mailers. We finally became amazon prime members because we are constantly buying something off amazon. Fast free shipping. Got a 25 ft 50 amp extension cord for $75 and free shipping. Had it in 3 days. I think I've become addicted to Amazon.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
Retired Ford Tech

Cool

I think their prices over all have gone up since they found out how much it cost them to sponsor the NASCAR TRUCK SERIES!!
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #19

Just called the local store for a 23659 cover. inventory say's 3 in stock 0
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

I use Wal-Mart for all my "non specific" camping items like hoses,couplings,wheel chalks etc.
They'll often beat Amazon.I avoid C.W. if at all possible.Too pricy for me.

Tags
camping