Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #1

Camping world time share calls!

Just got a call last night from camping world promising the moon if i go listen to a pitch at one of their campgrounds. Sounded like a time share, so did some research and it is a time share. What the hell is camping world doing trying to sell me a time share! Plus, I cannot get my head around why they would think someone with and RV would want to be tied down to a time share...the whole point is not to stay in the same places!

Anyone else have this unfortunate experienced know more details?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

What did you do to get on their phone list?

I doubt I’ll get one.....and I’m fine with that.

Marcus is on my “blocked list” if I’m wrong.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
What did you do to get on their phone list?

I doubt I’ll get one.....and I’m fine with that.

Marcus is on my “blocked list” if I’m wrong.
No idea...my only guesses are making a purchase at Camping World or being a Good Sam member.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Just got a call last night from camping world promising the moon if i go listen to a pitch at one of their campgrounds. Sounded like a time share, so did some research and it is a time share. What the hell is camping world doing trying to sell me a time share! Plus, I cannot get my head around why they would think someone with and RV would want to be tied down to a time share...the whole point is not to stay in the same places!

Anyone else have this unfortunate experienced know more details?
I might be wrong but timeshares also exist at resort style campgrounds. Could be what they are are selling.

Once you join a membership like Good Sam, you agree to receive marketing. There may be someplace you can click in your membership to turn off the sales pitches.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

A) are you 'sure' it was 'the' Camping World, or was it just someone with a 'similar' name? I know of nothing CW is involved in as far as campgrounds.

B) yes, many folks like to 'camp' at the same places, over and over, every chance they get - just look at all of the seasonal campers at many campgrounds - the camper simply sits there the whole year and is used as often as the owners want - it's their 'seasonal' vacation or weekend home.
Having a guaranteed spot at a favorite campground is actually appealing to a LOT of folks who don't want to struggle with reservations and a lot of travel time, or to places they are not yet familiar with. Maybe a 'time share' of sorts solves a lot of headaches for many.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
A) are you 'sure' it was 'the' Camping World, or was it just someone with a 'similar' name? I know of nothing CW is involved in as far as campgrounds.

B) yes, many folks like to 'camp' at the same places, over and over, every chance they get - just look at all of the seasonal campers at many campgrounds - the camper simply sits there the whole year and is used as often as the owners want - it's their 'seasonal' vacation or weekend home.
Having a guaranteed spot at a favorite campground is actually appealing to a LOT of folks who don't want to struggle with reservations and a lot of travel time, or to places they are not yet familiar with. Maybe a 'time share' of sorts solves a lot of headaches for many.
You just described us. We have several campgrounds in mid Florida to the Keys we love to stay at.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

Timeshare camping

On last summer trip we stopped at Rushmore Shadows CG, Rapid City, SD. Regular rate was $75 per night FHU... we agreed to hear their time share pitch and, in return, got 3 nights FHU for $40 total.. was well worth the 90 minutes we gave them.. they offered membership with access to network of some 200 campgrounds.. no way would we do that but we sure saved a bunch by listening to the pitch...
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #8

Ummm...I think you are referring to the Coast to Coast Membership Club that is affiliated with Good Sam.
You buy a membership in a single campground ("home") and then for typically 10 bucks a night...you get to camp at any other park in the network. Wasn't right for us but being able to pick a home campgroud you like and then visit others aroud the country obviously has some appeal for some. Parks are typically quite nice. Here's a link to more:

https://www.coastresorts.com/coast-to-coast/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

Being a Camp Host usually involves 'camping' at the same places for months at a time. Many lasting friendships made over the years! More time spent camping and less time traveling.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

We attended the Tampa RV show (never again!) and signed up for a drawing. It ended up being a spiel about CWs travel club. We drove to the resort North of Orlando and for our trouble, we received 3 free nights at any of their 7 resorts + a 7 night cruise for 2 + 2 round trip tickets + 3 nights accommodations. We may or may not do some of that, but you're right, it is essentially a time share for rv'ers. You can stay for free for 2 weeks at a time and can come back after a week. You can do that all year long at any of their resorts - FL, OH, NC, GA. They are purchasing old KOAs and refurbishing them to be 'resorts'. In our opinion, the one we went to had a long way to go to be a resort! You also become a member of a travel club allowing you to stay in condos/timeshares all over the world for $299-$699 per week. And finally, you have access to a website giving you access to hundreds of campgrounds all over the country where you can stay for $10-$25 per night.
Their selling point is that you always have a safe and quality place to stay; non-members are not allowed; your children and grandchildren over the age of 21 can also use any of the accommodations with or without you; and your children can inherit your membership.
Not anything we are interested in but yes, Marcus and Camping World are definitely into the RV timeshare business!
BeachBumJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #11

RV Timeshare Comments

We received a call from Coast to Coast a few years ago. At first we were hesitant to go to their site in southern Louisiana, but were promised that they were just getting started and just wanted some traffic for their 90 minute presentation.

Everything went well until Sunday morning when we had our scheduled presentation. Ours was early so we could go to church after. Not sure what their problem was but they imposed greatly on us, keeping us for 4 hours and calling in high pressure sales people to talk to us. Finally got through my not wanting to cause a scene and just left.

Will not go back. Would not recommend them to anyone. I would recommend anyone that does take up their offer to research before you go and be sure you are in the market for a timeshare.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
Dahagen

Like SlowJoe we had an extreme high pressure sales pitch that went on and on. Their resorts were not in places we go to and the membership price was in the thousands of dollars. Says were limited and many of their campgrounds were full. And why would an RV'er want a timeshare?
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #13

If you are on a Camping World or Good Sam list ie: email, phone number, address, one of their CC... then you will get bombed every week with something else, a discount on a renewal of your membership that isn't up for renewal for a few years, time share opportunities, camping memberships where you stay almost free... if it's in their campground, and usually you select which zone and pay to travel outside.
Now I know where my Good Sam fees go.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

When we were younger and didn’t have much extra money we went on a lot of “come for a free weekend and listen to our great offer” trips. Took whatever was the freebie of the month, listened to part of sales pitch and answered every sales pitch to buy with “WE ARE HERE FOR THE FREEBIEE. NOT BUYING ANYTHING” never had to stay over 45 min.
Yall have fun.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #15

Camping World has folks in their stores collecting names and phone numbers with a promise of a free camping trip. Nothing in life is free... prepare to get many phone calls after you sign up. RV show are another place where they allow you to enter into a drawing to win whatever in exchange for your #. Personally we use our answering machine to screen our calls and never answer a call from a unknown number. Bass Pro Shops also sells high pressure time shares with promises of a free cruise and this is presented as a free weekend in Vegas. These time shares include very high yearly maintenance fees. My daughter learned the hard way.....
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #16

Some things are free. At the camping show a couple of weeks ago I entered a drawing to win a Yeti cooler......I WON!!!
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #17

I've solved most of my Telemarking Call issues.

When I am asked for a phone number I merely give them the land line number which I had disconnected last year. I now just use my Cell Phone number for all those I deal with that are important like Bank, Insurance Company, Doctor's Office, Family, etc.

Unless I WANT someone to call me, they get the old number.

I still get a few Robo-Calls coming through on my cell phone but my phone has a neat blocking feature. Get a robo call (no doubt with a spoofed number for CID) I just add it to the blocked list. I've gone from 5 or 6 calls per day to maybe 2-3 per week.

If I get a call from a real person that gets pushy I just give them an earful of what you might hear from a tug boat crew or longshoreman. Never get a repeat call from them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
We received a call from Coast to Coast a few years ago. At first we were hesitant to go to their site in southern Louisiana, but were promised that they were just getting started and just wanted some traffic for their 90 minute presentation.

Everything went well until Sunday morning when we had our scheduled presentation. Ours was early so we could go to church after. Not sure what their problem was but they imposed greatly on us, keeping us for 4 hours and calling in high pressure sales people to talk to us. Finally got through my not wanting to cause a scene and just left.

Will not go back. Would not recommend them to anyone. I would recommend anyone that does take up their offer to research before you go and be sure you are in the market for a timeshare.
Keeping you against your will is called false imprisonment.

Tags
camping