Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Campingworld

We've priced items on campingworld.com as well as Amazon.com. Found identical items but the price is almost always higher through campingworld! With so many of those places, I wonder why there's such a disparity in prices? Got any ideas? Thoughts? I found an $8 can of WD-40 at campingworld! Yes, we're members of GS.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
DDC

Camping world must be of the opinion that there is a sucker born every minute, but really it's just like when you fill up with gas and there are two gas stations one is twenty cents (or whatever) more but there is always someone paying their price and that's how it will stay unless """"""""""" we'll you know the rest.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

Just like everything else your paying for the name, no difference in quality...
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
We've priced items on campingworld.com as well as Amazon.com. Found identical items but the price is almost always higher through campingworld! With so many of those places, I wonder why there's such a disparity in prices? Got any ideas? Thoughts? I found an $8 can of WD-40 at campingworld! Yes, we're members of GS.
How many stores does Amazon have? Can you walk into an Amazon store anywhere? The answer is obvious and unfortunately it is the future of shopping. People now go into Camping World to actually touch an object they are interested in. They can see and feel the quality. They then go home and go online and buy it for the cheapest price. This is called "show rooming". It happens at Best Buy and all brick and mortar stores. It costs money to have a building. Maybe CW can close their stores and just be online and maybe everyone will. We will sure miss the hands on experience of buying..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
One reason is that if you have to return something any CW will do it, If something breaks try sending it back to ebay and you have to pay shipping which makes up the difference in price, also CW never questions on returns, they just give you another one if it broke or you decided after you got home you didn't like it. Also they have a lot bigger over head then someone working out of their house. But you can not beat their customer service. Why do people buy campers from dealers and not wholesalers? Service, service, service.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Buying on line can be a real surprise. Looks real good on the computer screen but when you get it is a piece of junk. That is why I shop Brick and Mortar Stores.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Not true in all cases. Last month I found the Oxygenics shower head lower on CW (including shipping). You do have to shop/surf.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

I'll second the customer service at CW. On a cross country trip I bought a Scangauge II at the Indiana store figuring it will really help when we get to the rockies. When we stopped in Kansas overnight I opened it up and realized I had picked up the diesel version. We stopped in the Colorado Springs store and they exchanged it without question. And yes, it really helped finding the power curves when making the steep climbs. We stopped at most of the CW stores along our way. Folks were always friendly and helpful. Only down side was we kept finding stuff we had to have. It made the trip a bit more expensive than planned
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
MI Camperz

CW is a specialty store. Specialty stores generally charge higher prices, but have a focused array of products. Gift shops, sporting goods stores, and florists, for example.
You can shop individual items elsewhere, but the convenience of having a large selection within a specialty is generally more convenient. I think this is the principal reason their prices are higher.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Camping World has great sales from time to time including free shipping, discount coupons etc. Sure, you can prolly find an item cheaper on-line, but as mentioned, the service aspect is worth a few pennies more.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #11

My problem with Camping World is the same one I have with Sam's Club. You have to pay to be a member to get lower prices and I don't buy enough to justify it. Nice stores to knock around in though.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
One reason is that if you have to return something any CW will do it, If something breaks try sending it back to ebay and you have to pay shipping which makes up the difference in price, also CW never questions on returns, they just give you another one if it broke or you decided after you got home you didn't like it. Also they have a lot bigger over head then someone working out of their house. But you can not beat their customer service. Why do people buy campers from dealers and not wholesalers? Service, service, service.
X2 you can't beat ACTUAL customer service. I'll pay the markup for something the store will return without an act of congress
Kamping Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Camping World has great sales from time to time including free shipping, discount coupons etc. Sure, you can prolly find an item cheaper on-line, but as mentioned, the service aspect is worth a few pennies more.
Ditto on the above. We recently used a $40 off coupon on a Fantastic fan, which made the price lower than what we could find anywhere else. And if you buy something from them, you almost automatically get a $10/off coupon on another purchase - will show up in your email. This makes them pretty competitive.

Problem is Sales personnel vary from store to store, and within the same store, but by and large they are a friendly bunch, and seem pretty knowledgeable about their products!

My biggerst complaint is exorbitant prices on installation. They recently quoted me $185 to install shocks on my Solera (me providing the shocks) which involved removing four bolts, and replacing them - and unobstructerd access to the old shocks. If I had a lift, I could do the job in 10 minutes. They wanted to charge me for 2 hours labor. Unreasonable to say the least.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Ditto on the above. We recently used a $40 off coupon on a Fantastic fan, which made the price lower than what we could find anywhere else. And if you buy something from them, you almost automatically get a $10/off coupon on another purchase - will show up in your email. This makes them pretty competitive.

Problem is Sales personnel vary from store to store, and within the same store, but by and large they are a friendly bunch, and seem pretty knowledgeable about their products!

My biggerst complaint is exorbitant prices on installation. They recently quoted me $185 to install shocks on my Solera (me providing the shocks) which involved removing four bolts, and replacing them - and unobstructerd access to the old shocks. If I had a lift, I could do the job in 10 minutes. They wanted to charge me for 2 hours labor. Unreasonable to say the least.
I spent a good part of my life working in my trade (mechanic) and it always amazed me how people would pay $500.00 an hour for a lawyer but gripe about paying the mechanic and shop for the use of their knowledge and equipment.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
My problem with Camping World is the same one I have with Sam's Club. You have to pay to be a member to get lower prices and I don't buy enough to justify it. Nice stores to knock around in though.
If you don't save what it costs each year camping world will refund the difference. Also if you are a member you get free shipping when shopping online.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #16

A lot of time Camping World is a little more expensive. I would pay a little more to have a product now rather than waiting a few days in shipping. It if it a lot more....I just wait and buy it online. I have found Camping World to have lower prices on some sale items.
I bought 2 - Maxx air vents cheaper at Camping World than anywhere online....even amazon. I am also shopping sewer hose supports and amazon was more than CW.
I always take sales tax and shipping into account with the pricing.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #17

Yes camping world has nice stores, the only problem is it several hours and a border crossing away. I can't justify the huge shipping and brokerage costs from camping world. $32.00 item and then $47.00 in shipping and brokerage at the door. A high end bath and home store had the same item for $39.00 in store and ten minutes away.
I buy from US suppliers all the time and have never come across such huge extra costs. I even emailed them about it and heard nothing back.
What I have bought for the most part has been a savings. My local RV dealer had the dometic ice maker in stock for $299.00 and we got 15% off . The regular price at camping world is $299.00 and on sale at $250.00. I ended up paying $257.00 local.
So always remember to shop around.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #18

I recently purchased some items from CW, they were actually priced cheaper than Walmart. I am a good Sam member and that helps too. After our purchase they emailed me a 10 dollar coupon just for shopping at their store. Which I printed it out from my email. Went back there today to get a 3 piece rug, Item #70490 on sale for
$39.99 and also bought 1 wheel chock and get one free, Item #26247 on sale for $3.99. They ran out of the small wheel chocks, but they offered me the bigger wheel chock for the same deal, buy one get one free, Item # 56859 on sale for $7.64. Their Customer Service is awesome.

Like the others have done, its surf and shop, compare the prices, whichever is best, I would think CW would match a price if you can bring it in? Haven't tried it, but wondering if anyone else might have?
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #19

We don't buy enough to justify the membership costs. We dropped GS three years ago, seemed to cater more to longer-term campers than weekend warriors like us.

Plus I have never had an enjoyable experience at the CW in Indy. Found the folks in the parts and goodies department to be unknowledgable about camping, mostly teenagers.

Fortunately, my dealer, which is way closer, is as well stocked as CW and priced as well or better. Plus the parts guy has been there ever since we have done business, along with the ses, finance, and service staff. They know us and all their customers on a first name basis, and what trailer they own. Most knowledgable folks I know.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
Yes camping world has nice stores, the only problem is it several hours and a border crossing away. I can't justify the huge shipping and brokerage costs from camping world. $32.00 item and then $47.00 in shipping and brokerage at the door. A high end bath and home store had the same item for $39.00 in store and ten minutes away.
I buy from US suppliers all the time and have never come across such huge extra costs. I even emailed them about it and heard nothing back.
What I have bought for the most part has been a savings. My local RV dealer had the dometic ice maker in stock for $299.00 and we got 15% off . The regular price at camping world is $299.00 and on sale at $250.00. I ended up paying $257.00 local.
So always remember to shop around.

I agree, not much incentive for us Canadians to buy due to the brokerage and shipping fees. I'll shop in person if I'm in the area, otherwise, it's not worth it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote