Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Campingworld

We've priced items on campingworld.com as well as Amazon.com. Found identical items but the price is almost always higher through campingworld! With so many of those places, I wonder why there's such a disparity in prices? Got any ideas? Thoughts? I found an $8 can of WD-40 at campingworld! Yes, we're members of GS.

Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
DDC

Camping world must be of the opinion that there is a sucker born every minute, but really it's just like when you fill up with gas and there are two gas stations one is twenty cents (or whatever) more but there is always someone paying their price and that's how it will stay unless """"""""""" we'll you know the rest.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Just like everything else your paying for the name, no difference in quality...
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
We've priced items on campingworld.com as well as Amazon.com. Found identical items but the price is almost always higher through campingworld! With so many of those places, I wonder why there's such a disparity in prices? Got any ideas? Thoughts? I found an $8 can of WD-40 at campingworld! Yes, we're members of GS.
How many stores does Amazon have? Can you walk into an Amazon store anywhere? The answer is obvious and unfortunately it is the future of shopping. People now go into Camping World to actually touch an object they are interested in. They can see and feel the quality. They then go home and go online and buy it for the cheapest price. This is called "show rooming". It happens at Best Buy and all brick and mortar stores. It costs money to have a building. Maybe CW can close their stores and just be online and maybe everyone will. We will sure miss the hands on experience of buying..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
One reason is that if you have to return something any CW will do it, If something breaks try sending it back to ebay and you have to pay shipping which makes up the difference in price, also CW never questions on returns, they just give you another one if it broke or you decided after you got home you didn't like it. Also they have a lot bigger over head then someone working out of their house. But you can not beat their customer service. Why do people buy campers from dealers and not wholesalers? Service, service, service.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

Buying on line can be a real surprise. Looks real good on the computer screen but when you get it is a piece of junk. That is why I shop Brick and Mortar Stores.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #7

Not true in all cases. Last month I found the Oxygenics shower head lower on CW (including shipping). You do have to shop/surf.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #8

I'll second the customer service at CW. On a cross country trip I bought a Scangauge II at the Indiana store figuring it will really help when we get to the rockies. When we stopped in Kansas overnight I opened it up and realized I had picked up the diesel version. We stopped in the Colorado Springs store and they exchanged it without question. And yes, it really helped finding the power curves when making the steep climbs. We stopped at most of the CW stores along our way. Folks were always friendly and helpful. Only down side was we kept finding stuff we had to have. It made the trip a bit more expensive than planned
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
MI Camperz

CW is a specialty store. Specialty stores generally charge higher prices, but have a focused array of products. Gift shops, sporting goods stores, and florists, for example.
You can shop individual items elsewhere, but the convenience of having a large selection within a specialty is generally more convenient. I think this is the principal reason their prices are higher.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #10

Camping World has great sales from time to time including free shipping, discount coupons etc. Sure, you can prolly find an item cheaper on-line, but as mentioned, the service aspect is worth a few pennies more.

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote