Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #21

Thanks Prairie Camper! It's the nickles and dimes that add up for sure...

Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
Good tip! hadn't thought of that. So we need to just tell the dude at the US customs booth that we have the cheque, show it to him, give him a copy.....

Easy... Thanks!
we just had the bank wire the money. simple...and that way I could not forget the cheque

Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #23

we ran into a spot of trouble (really just a Canadian border guy using his power to be an ass). We borrowed our mechanic's BIG truck to haul it back. Drove it across the border (Can-->US) with no problem, but coming back he wanted to see a letter from the truck owner which we did not have. He did let us through eventually. He was just being a dick...trying to imply that we stole the vehicle in Canada, drove it to the US, and then tried to bring it back. Sigh. Other than that, it was as simple as you described. We bought in Buffalo and they had all the paperwork ready for us.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #24

Wonder how he knew it wasn't your truck? They must check the plates against the passport. Interesting. I did notice as we drove up to the booth that a photo was being taken of the front of the truck.

So... when pulling an RV does Nexus do any good? Must check into that.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
Wonder how he knew it wasn't your truck? They must check the plates against the passport. Interesting. I did notice as we drove up to the booth that a photo was being taken of the front of the truck.

So... when pulling an RV does Nexus do any good? Must check into that.

Not %100 sure but when I read the nexus information website, I got the impression that it was not meant for crossing while towing a trailer (An rv).
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Not %100 sure but when I read the nexus information website, I got the impression that it was not meant for crossing while towing a trailer (An rv).
My DW wife and I have nexus. We got it specifically so that we can cross in/out of the US with our TT in tow to enable us to camp more in the US, especially saving valuable time on a Friday night when the regular lanes are long. We've used it several times this past year, with and without the TT. It's a great time saver for us crossing between BC and Washington. We've had no issues crossing with our TT through Nexus. We did get inspected once, but that was a quick and painless exercise. There was even a nexus lane for people waiting for inspection inside! We were in and out quick. I think the agent must thought we were crazy for going camping late in Novemeber on a rainy weekend
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
That is only for self propelled vehicles. Cars, motor homes etc ....Trailers are exempt from that rule.
Well my brother in law bought a 5er in Michigan, got on the Canadian side and the customs thought differently. BIL had to go back and forth a few times, hauling the 5erbefore paperwork was finally completed. BIL told them it was exempt but the gods said no. Canadian customs called him a week later to apologize. Dummys. Have all your ducks in a row and bring the section that says you're exempt.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Well my brother in law bought a 5er in Michigan, got on the Canadian side and the customs thought differently. BIL had to go back and forth a few times, hauling the 5erbefore paperwork was finally completed. BIL told them it was exempt but the gods said no. Canadian customs called him a week later to apologize. Dummys. Have all your ducks in a row and bring the section that says you're exempt.

Oh wooow !!! When some people get power they forget that with great power comes greater responsibility !

Once I was importing a tent trailer (my very first one) and I told them it was exempt from the usual inspection/fees stuff. They asked me how I knew and I told them, and one of them brought a HUGE book, and found the relevant section, read it, they discussed it, interpreted it, and just signed the import paper and let me go. Took a bit, but I think they handled it properly. no RIV, no nothing ! Straight license plate ! Wooohooo !!! I am pretty sure I paid the GST on it at the time, 68 dollars or something

SCOC, thanks for clarifying the nexus for RV's ! Appreciated !
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #29

Just to clarify - I was thinking of Nexus for coming and going camping. Not the import part. But the import went very smooth.

Days camped 2014 - 23