Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Exclamation Canadian Import Steps to Ontario - Please correct!

We are picking up our trailer in Ohio this weekend. I THINK I have the steps figured out but would appreciate it if any Canadians out there that have imported would chime in if I got something wrong. Thanks.

1. Buy the trailer -- Check
2. Wait for it to be build and get to the dealer -- Check
3. Put insurance on it -- Check
4. Get a cashiers cheque to pay for it - Check

5. Drive to dealer to pick up trailer
6. Get paperwork from dealer -- bill of sale, manufacturers recall letter ??, Anything else?
7. AT THE BORDER: Present paperwork, pay GST portion, pay RIV fee
8. Border gives us RIV form 1 with RIV case number
9. After a few days we can download RIV form 2
10. Take trailer to CTC for inspection - get form 2 stamped
11. Go to Ministry of Trans. with all paperwork. Pay PST portion and get plates.
12. Go home and have a nice drink in celebration.

Thanks!
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
We are picking up our trailer in Ohio this weekend. I THINK I have the steps figured out but would appreciate it if any Canadians out there that have imported would chime in if I got something wrong. Thanks.

6. Get paperwork from dealer -- bill of sale, manufacturers recall letter ??, Anything else?
11. Go to Ministry of Trans. with all paperwork. Pay PST portion and get plates.

Thanks!
CHEERS.....
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

I believe after CTC inspection, you wait for papers to come from RIV and then go to MOT to get the plates.

Please MAKE SURE you take ALL the paper work with you to MOT whether you think they are needed or not. I do not recall now but they asked to see something which I thought would never be needed anymore.

And keep all the paper work in a file because there is a chance that Ministry of Finance will ask you to send the custom duties paid etc papers as part of a small audit.

There is really nothing to it !

Oh that check you are taking with you, go to a customs office and declare it ! And carry the paper work with you when you are crossing customs or if you mail it, put a copy of the forms into the same envelope. It is the same with carrying over $10,000 cash. You HAVE TO declare it .... Otherwise it will be confiscated if you get caught with it without declaring it. I went to the Oshawa airport and got the paper work done by the nice customs agents in 5 minutes. They knew the procedure inside out and appreciated it that I declared it. I mailed it ...

Good luck and enjoy your new trailer !
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Declaring money

Good tip! hadn't thought of that. So we need to just tell the dude at the US customs booth that we have the cheque, show it to him, give him a copy.....

Easy... Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Thanks!
That is the process exactly that we experienced in 2010.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good tip! hadn't thought of that. So we need to just tell the dude at the US customs booth that we have the cheque, show it to him, give him a copy.....

Easy... Thanks!
Don't have to...they only worry about cash.

Dave

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

You are correct in the order of things, you take the RV to Canadian Tire after you receive form 2, they do the inspection, stamp the form, fax a copy to RIV and give you the original. You can then go directly to Ministry of Transport and get plates. After a couple of weeks RIV will send you a compliance sticker which place on the RV.
Congratulations and enjoy.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

Thanks to all - particularly to Dave and Monica who suggested to us to purchase south of the border in the first place. Took us a long time to pick just the right one. Our last challenge will be to get it parked in our yard. Although we have three acres, most is in forest so may have to get out the chain saw... Will take pics once it is safely home and parked. Can I get excited yet? LOL.
Again thanks to everyone here for their timely comments and advice. Couldn't have done it without the great people on this forum!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

One thing that caused me some time was the customs agent did not fax in form 1,after I faxed it in the form 2 was available in a couple of days, you may want to fax it in just to be sure. You may need to fax in the clearance letter as well.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
B47

Quote:

Thanks!
After jumping though all those hoops succesfully, I believe Step 12 would include having more than just one celebration drink.

Good luck
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Don't have to...they only worry about cash.

Dave

No sir I am afraid you are wrong. Maybe in the past it was only cash. Now it is cash and any money instruments. Why take a risk ?

I state this because I read the online documentation available (Two years ago) and they all stated that It had to be declared, and a Canadian customs form be signed stamped etc. The customs people also stated the same thing. Cash/cheque, no difference.

And I agree with the gentleman who said, more than one drink to celebrate ! Definitely called for !

I am not trying to be argumentative, just passing on my own personal experience.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #12

I believe Goomph is right. Any money being exported/imported if it is on paper, cash, cheques, bonds, whatever, and if over $10,000 (I beleive that is the limit) must first be declared when leaving Canada (on the Canadian side), and must also be declared when enetering USA. You also must declare monies coming into Canada, which doesn't apply in this case.

No need if it is paid electronically, wire transfer, credit card, etc...

I bought a car in the US before and took a cheque with me, just like you're planning on doing. I didn't declare it before leaving Canada. The US agent asked why I going to the US, I told her, then she asked how I was paying for the car and asked to see the Cheque. She asked me if I declared it before leaving, I said no, but she let me have the cheque back anyway and let me go. I thought for a moment that she was not going to give me the cheque back.

I don't know all the specific rules in place, but why take a chance? Go in to Canada customs on the way out and let them know. OR set up a wire transfer instead.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
DDC

I thought you had to stop at the US customs as you leave for them to complete the export paperwork.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I thought you had to stop at the US customs as you leave for them to complete the export paperwork.

That is only for self propelled vehicles. Cars, motor homes etc ....Trailers are exempt from that rule.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
No sir I am afraid you are wrong. Maybe in the past it was only cash. Now it is cash and any money instruments. Why take a risk ?

I state this because I read the online documentation available (Two years ago) and they all stated that It had to be declared, and a Canadian customs form be signed stamped etc. The customs people also stated the same thing. Cash/cheque, no difference.

And I agree with the gentleman who said, more than one drink to celebrate ! Definitely called for !

I am not trying to be argumentative, just passing on my own personal experience.
When we imported a TT in 2007, I stated the purpose of our trip at US Customs when we crossed. They asked how we were paying which was by bank draft and they didn't care to see it. We wire transferred on our purchase in 2010.

There's no harm to covering this issue with US Customs when entering if they ask. I only answer what they ask.

I guess it's not surprising that they're checking what money is crossing the border along with checking your dog food!

Dave

Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

Thanks Dave.... Think I'll leave the dog at home. :>)

I expect they want to know if you are taking money across because then they can check to see if you reported the import later. Just guessing here.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

Regarding the import/export of money over $10,000, here is a PDF explaining things from the Canadian government:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5052-eng.pdf
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #18

One more question.... About RIV inspection

When CTC does this inspection is it paid for as part of the fee I submitted to RIV or is it an additional cost to the purchaser - IE me.....

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #19

BTW folks - about cash/cheques over the border...

When we got to Windsor we parked at the Duty Free store then walked through the fence to the customs office. Told the officer there that we had been advised to report that we were taking a cheque for over $10,000 across the border.

She said that was correct and proceeded to fill out a form. We were also told by CSBC to report to the US officials on the other side as well.

A newer procedure apparently.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
When CTC does this inspection is it paid for as part of the fee I submitted to RIV or is it an additional cost to the purchaser - IE me.....

Thanks.
Yes the RIV fee is for the inspection by CTC or other!