Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #1

Canadian purchase via RV Direct - issues ?

Hi, I am from Canada - just outside of Toronto and am looking at a "c" class Forester 3101SS and RV Direct. RVD definitely has the best price and could pick it up in Buffalo but am concerned about crossing the border for the first time. RVD says they will provide the needed documentation and I will be responsible for paying the HST (Ont harmonized sales tax) but is there anything else I need to know about that could be a problem ?

I am a newbie to this whole rv thing and just am trying to educate myself as much as possible. This site is fantastic !!
Houndmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
RV Direct is good or RVWholsalers in Ohio..........so for you I would say RV Direct will take care of you !
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

All good as long as you don't mind taking trips back stateside when it breaks. Results vary as to getting warranty service on bought in the states. Just do some searches on here and you will see some unhappy people about that issue.
JohnnyThunderCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #4

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Now thats true ( Warranty service) !! But your close to RV Directs home base in Buffalo, reason why I didnt mention it ! So if your local dealer won't help you, your close enough to make it back to Buffalo !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Grape Escape

Welcome to the forum.
Only other expense is the RIV fee Approx 200$ and perhaps an inspection since it's a motor home.
Will be well worth the savings.
PS buy what you really want and can afford first time around as it will be much more cost effective.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

There could be all kinds of issues when buying in the US and bringing it back home.........and not just the first time. I know this has been a hot topic as far as buying cars over the last few years given the dollar exchange rate. Like someone else said, any warranty repair issues may be refused by Canadian dealers, and that could be messy explaining that to customs too.

Have you really done all the shopping you can about your particular unit you're interested in?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

call customs on the canada side and ask what is involved.

also never lie to customs on the price!! you could have it confiscated or a fine larger then the difference.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

Houndmobile, there are great deals to be had in the US. Importing is easy, all the information you require can be found on the Register of Imported Vehicles website. I have imported a truck from Alabama in 2008 and a 5th wheel from Ohio in 2010. Both transactions went smoothly. Canadian Customs even hold seminars on importing vehicles. Don't be afraid to investigate further, you will be pleasantly surprised.

There are slightly different procedures for importing a motorized RV vs a towable so make sure you are following the right one.

Enjoy RVing.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We bought ours from RV Direct and they have been great to deal with. When we were in there they had just sold an Entegra Cornerstone to a guy in Canada. That was over $400,000 US. They are used to cross border transactions so you should be fine.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Grape Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
There could be all kinds of issues when buying in the US and bringing it back home.........and not just the first time. I know this has been a hot topic as far as buying cars over the last few years given the dollar exchange rate. Like someone else said, any warranty repair issues may be refused by Canadian dealers, and that could be messy explaining that to customs too.

Have you really done all the shopping you can about your particular unit you're interested in?
You sound like a car dealer to me. Only reason they are against it is they want to make the extra coin rather than you saving $$$
A few years back while getting service work done I noticed a warning letter posted in a large local Ford new car dealership pointing out all the negatives of purchasing a vehicle from the USA.
A few months later they were selling a large quantity of US vehicles.
Funny the notice disappeared
Bunch of hipocrites
Old 01-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
geo

If bought in the US it won't have the CSA approval. My sister had a $#%& of problems a few years ago with a unit she bought in Ontario, from a "respectable" dealer, that wasn't CSA stickered. Her whole electical system had to be re-done.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Grape Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
If bought in the US it won't have the CSA approval. My sister had a $#%& of problems a few years ago with a unit she bought in Ontario, from a "respectable" dealer, that wasn't CSA stickered. Her whole electical system had to be re-done.

CSA is not even a requirement to import to Canada. Done it.
Besides my so called CSA stickered 5th wheel came equipped with non CSA approved plumbing vents.
If you really feel the need to hand over 300-500$ for the sticker it can be ordered with it from RV Direct or RV wholesalers.
So much misinfo on these sites.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #13

Check your insurance company and see if a RV that is not CSA certified would be cover if it was damaged by an apliance that was not CSA approved. What would happen if a person was to get a shock from your unit and it is not CSA appoved wiring. I am not trying to be negitive but you must check out the facts. The savings might not be worth the cost of a law suit. If you can get the RV CSA rated from the USA I would pay the extra 400 to 500 dollars.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #14

I did check those facts with my insurance company (Wayfarer). Before purchasing and importing my Surveyor. I talked to them and emailed them and called and asked if my insurance would be void because the unit is imported from USA with no CSA approval. Their answer was a , "your unit will be fully covered". They did ask for all the importation papers and customs forms to ensure that it was properly insured.

The Canadian RV dealers will even tell you that you should not camp in Canada because your unit does not have CSA approval. I guess all those RV owners from US are selfishly putting all our camp grounds in grave danger when they visit Canada !

Of course do NOT expect any warranty or even optional work being done by your Canadian dealer Unless they are really nice and told you before hand that they will serve you. Go into this with your eyes wide open. You will save money, but any warranty work will require going to USA most probably. Yes, experience speaking, been there done that, required warranty work. I would do it again ....
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Grape Escape

Every appliance has CSA approval on it including shower stall, faucets and manual that comes with all appliances. And my Rockwood was not CSA approved as I bought off a lot in Michigan. If someone feels the need to throw an extra 300-500 $ my way please go ahead because all you are getting is a worthless sticker.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #16

If everything is CSA approved then you do not need the sticker on the side of the unit. I am not saying that a RV from the US is not safe. I just question the insurance company. We all know that they do not want to pay out if they can find a reason. If you own a RV in Canada and are Canadian will they pay out a claim if they can prove the cause of the accident was an item in the RV that was not CSA approved. If you have a fire in your home and it was caused by an appliance that was not CSA approved they might not honour your policy. I would want it in writing if your insurance company say that you are covered without CSA rating on the RV. That way if they do try to get out of the policy you have something to back you up.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
Grape Escape

This argument could go on and on. Have yet to hear of an insurance company deny a claim on these technicalities. Any rv I have seen has CSA approved applianced unless they are of an older vintage. One could argue that if you towed your trailer over the 60 mph speed rating of trailer tires your accident claim could be denied, went over the speed limit, ran a red light, improper lane change etc. How many people are towing with improper licence, over loaded tow vehicle, or overloaded trailer?
The only ones complaining are the RV dealers in Canada. Till they become more competetive some people will import themselves. I certainly will to save $5000 plus.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone really believe that RV manufacturer's make a different camper for the Canadian market and a separate one of the US market. All appliances and components are UL/CSA approved...have been for years. Ask a US dealer what do you get for the $350 (or so) for CSA certification and you'll hear lots of hemming and hawing.

All the hype you read about CSA certification and troubles with campers imported from the US is generated from the Canadian dealers.

We've purchase two campers and imported them into Canada...waived the CSA certification option...no problems with the insurance company or at the border.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #19

The electrical receptacles on non CSA RV's *might" be rated for 15 amps and protected by 20 amp circuit breakers (SOme are lucky and have 20 amp tared receptacles). CSA code does not allow that. Also floating versus non floating neutral line are different between csa and non cas units.

I know that there also some diferences in plumbing and how propane lines are protected. Is ours superior ? Could be in some areas, or neglibigble in other areas.

There are some differences. But no to the tune of having to replace all electrical cabling for sure .... I was quoted over 1,000 dollars by a dealer to have it CSA certified. I shopped around and I could have it for 350 bucks for electrical and 70 dollars for propane. I even arranged for the hydro inspection but did not go through with it.

Yes there might be some cost involved to get the certification, but not what the dealers are quoting for sure. If I was ordering a new trailer, I would most probably order it to be compliant with the CSA certification .... But, I am single dad with two kids in university, so it is not happening
Old 02-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #20

HI, brought my 2006 Surveyor SV 260 home last week from MN.
Customs did not go out to look at it, only needed the paper work - bill of sale and a title. Factory Recall letter for travel trailers not needed any more. Took 15 minutes to do the paperwork at customs.

RIV inspection yesterday, took 10 minutes, passed, they looked at the VIN sticker and the tire size - all passed, then stopped at the insurance agent and licensed and registered the TT, all ready for the camping season.

Got the trailer I wanted and a price I could afford in the USA, cnd prices were $3k to $5K higher.

A bit of a hassle - of course but to save $3 to 5K, takes some effort - go for it!
kenair is offline   Reply With Quote