Old 07-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #21

If you want security for your truck bed, go with a cap or hard (fiberglass or aluminum) cover. Some of the hard covers limit what you can haul as they are hinged in the front.

If you want just weather proofing, go with the soft tonneau cover. These just roll up and do not limit what you can haul in the truck bed. I, personally, have used the soft tonneau covers on all my trucks and have never had a problem.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #22

I have an Access roll-up tanneau cover on my '08 F250 long bed. I installed it myself and it cost about $300-$400. Works really well, but does allow a small amount of water in. It's held up pretty well too. After 7 years its starting to show some wear, but it still does its job. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage with/without it in place, but it is handy to have space to carry stuff more or less securely.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #23

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Retrax.

Trust me.
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I have an Access roll-up tanneau cover on my '08 F250 long bed. I installed it myself and it cost about $300-$400. Works really well, but does allow a small amount of water in. It's held up pretty well too. After 7 years its starting to show some wear, but it still does its job. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage with/without it in place, but it is handy to have space to carry stuff more or less securely.
We also have an Access soft tonneau cover on our '13 Silverado and had one on our '08 Sierra. Both have held up well. We have had inside-the-rail bed liners on both that helps keep the bed dry. The last Access cover came with a free fetch rod that has been invaluable.

Over the years, we have had various height shells with their advantages. However, they were a pain to take off when hauling tall items and the older we got, the more difficult to crawl around when getting to the front of the box.

The soft tonneau has been our choice for the past 8 years. DW also likes it for the convenience. As for security, they are all vulnerable to a determined thief.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
RV (Not so) Noob

I prefer a hard tonneau. Mine is an Undercover. Installed it myself and can remove it when I need to haul anything big. A cap would provide more storage space but to each his own. Good luck deciding.
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

Great info everyone. Hard decision and points on both sides. Thanks for the pics - helps to see the differences. We are now empty nesters so don't need to worry about hauling kids stuff anymore. Bed will usually be empty except when we camp and then it is just chairs, firewood, fire pit, and bikes. Leaning to the tonneau cover for many reasons stated above. Not sure it is worth cost of a cap just to keep the bikes dry. Also have kids in college so ability to haul bulky stuff back and forth is a point in favor to the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #27

I myself couldn't decide, so I went with two trucks!
One has a ARE commercial grade double lined cap with full doors instead of using the tail gate.
The other has a tonneau cover.
You really can't go wrong with either option, they both have advantages & disadvantages.

2011 Ram 1500
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-canuck View Post
Great info everyone. Hard decision and points on both sides. Thanks for the pics - helps to see the differences. We are now empty nesters so don't need to worry about hauling kids stuff anymore. Bed will usually be empty except when we camp and then it is just chairs, firewood, fire pit, and bikes. Leaning to the tonneau cover for many reasons stated above. Not sure it is worth cost of a cap just to keep the bikes dry. Also have kids in college so ability to haul bulky stuff back and forth is a point in favor to the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly our situation too, except our kids are out of college, but still want us to haul stuff for, and to them like power washer, furniture, mulch, etc. Our tonneau cover works out great for even taller items like those. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #29

Take a look at the "Undercover Flex". It is a hard cover tri fold. Easy to install and can be remove in about 5 minutes if you need to us the full bed and don't want to fold it up. Every thing in your bed stays dry and out of sight if you stop some where over night on a trip.
Best of Luck!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuggy View Post
Look at Bakflip... I've had 3 of them and I don't think I could ever do without again. Great build quality and love the fact that once you lock the tailgate your stuff is secure and out of site. Going down the road and it rains... no problem your stuff remains dry. I like the low profile and how it does not alter the look of the truck. Its made of aluminum and is super easy to remove and put back on. It flips up totally out of the way when you need to haul something that takes up the whole bed.

Not the best picture, but all I have...
X2. I'm on my second truck with a BAKFlip F1.

Northern Ohio
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover