Old 12-10-2018, 01:23 AM   #1

Cellular. US provider for Snowbirds?

So pretty much every provider in the USA offers unlimited data. Care to guess who does in Canada? Zero. For reference, with a Canadian provider we pay $250 for US/Canada calling and 11GB shared data on two lines. Verizon, T Mobile both cut you off if you spend more than one month outside USA. Have not got definitive answers from Sprint, AT&T. Has anyone had good luck?

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
2Retirees

We ran across this issue when we were with Consumer Cellular and discovered they only provided service in the U.S. Our Canadian friends used Facebook messenger to call us and it worked great. Of course it only worked with our Facebook friends but at least I had a way to communicate if needed help. I’ve changed carriers now.

Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

Verizon has unlimited and US canada calls as part of the plan .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Verizon has unlimited and US canada calls as part of the plan .
Most of the major cellular carriers in the States have this unless it is blocked for some reason. I had AT&T years ago and had no issues visiting Vancouver, B.C. on a business trip. I wasn't charged extra for being out of the US.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

The problem is in the fine print. They have a statement that reads, more or less “if you spend too much time in Canada we will/may terminate service.” So for short trips no problem, but as I can not spend more than 6 months Stateside in a rolling 12 month period, that is my stumbling block.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #6

I have Verizon and last year I was under a different plan and could use as much as I wanted too in Canada. This year a different plan and I am limited to half a gig a day. If I use to much in a thirty day period I can be forced to buy more data. No matter how much data I have left on the month. I only use hotspot data to check my bank and credit cards every day
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

AT&T

I bought a SIM card at AT&T last feb for around $50, it gave me 6gb data and unlimited calling in us and Canada. For 1 month, then you can renew it again. You still have everything in your phone, contacts etc, but you have a different number which is easy to pass on while your away. Some and cheaper than paying Canadian rates.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

So pretty much every provider in the USA offers unlimited data.

There is a gotcha to the unlimited data at least in the case of AT&T. Does not apply to data THROUGH your phone to another device (mobile hotspot). That is limited rather severely.

For that reason, since I often find the campground wi-fi to be all but unusable, I am using an old, old, AT&T plan that gives me up to 30GB per month, no matter what portion of that is from hotspot usage. Also unlimited text (but not imessages) and voice calls.

Jerry
JerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

Yea, any phones bought since the end of last year will be unlocked, you can throw an American sim like Smart Talk in. Cdn cell providers must also unlock your phone on request if it is locked to them.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

Just signed up today Unlimited calls and texting Can to US and US to canada +5gigs $95.00 one phone a month

Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell, cellular data, data plan, hotspot