Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Check Your EZ pass statements!

It all started with my bank changing names and issuing a new card. I went to o change the information in my account. That is when I noticed a $20 charge for the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I went on their site to verify, and it had a notice for people with trailers to pay at a booth because their system may think that you're a truck. I should have been charged $8. There goes email #1.

I decided to investigate further. When I picked up the trailer in NY, it cost me $1.60 Jeep only and $10.75 to return with the trailer on the Masspike. Little steep? Checked the website, and found out that I was charged for a class 7 truck and not a class 2 single wheel vehicle towing a trailer. Cost should have been $4.35.

I thought this was supposed to make travel EZer.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
It all started with my bank changing names and issuing a new card. I went to o change the information in my account. That is when I noticed a $20 charge for the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I went on their site to verify, and it had a notice for people with trailers to pay at a booth because their system may think that you're a truck. I should have been charged $8. There goes email #1.

I decided to investigate further. When I picked up the trailer in NY, it cost me $1.60 Jeep only and $10.75 to return with the trailer on the Masspike. Little steep? Checked the website, and found out that I was charged for a class 7 truck and not a class 2 single wheel vehicle towing a trailer. Cost should have been $4.35.

I thought this was supposed to make travel EZer.
It may make travel EZer - but they didn't say it would make it cheaper. Always pays to check your statements and invoices.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Anacortesians

A local guy got a charge on his account for the SR-520 bridge. He called the agency and said "I was overseas on a company trip and my car was in the long-term lot at the airport. No way was I crossing that bridge on that day."

The state agency checked the records and found that the photograph showed a vehicle with a Colorado plate with the same numbers. Apparently nobody bothered to program a question into the system asking "What state issued the plates".
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

I've been planning on getting an EZ pass for the Motorhome. We only have one toll road in all of NC so haven't had any experience using one, but plan on traveling extensively with the MH. What has been the experience with the EZpass when driving a motorhome with a toad? If erroneous charges are par for the course, I'll forget about it!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
I've been planning on getting an EZ pass for the Motorhome. We only have one toll road in all of NC so haven't had any experience using one, but plan on traveling extensively with the MH. What has been the experience with the EZpass when driving a motorhome with a toad? If erroneous charges are par for the course, I'll forget about it!
In New York you get a 5% discount on tolls just for using an EZ Pass. But if you're in a motorhome (and get a special EZ Pass transponder) you'll get a 52% discount on tolls! If you want to see the numbers, you can download the toll schedules at
Downloadable Toll Schedules - New York State Thruway
I tow a 5th wheel, and get a 22% discount over what I would have paid in cash.

Check whether NC offers similar discounts. If so, that will affect your decision big time!

And by the way, I've never had a problem with my bill.

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Director, FROG

Our Indiana Pass (formerly I-Zoom, now EZ-Pass) is honored not only in IN, but in IL, OH, PA, and probably others, but is not honored in OK or FL. It's a great convenience and a money saver, and I've not noticed any problem with the statements.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr View Post
In New York you get a 5% discount on tolls just for using an EZ Pass. But if you're in a motorhome (and get a special EZ Pass transponder) you'll get a 52% discount on tolls! If you want to see the numbers, you can download the toll schedules at
Downloadable Toll Schedules - New York State Thruway
I tow a 5th wheel, and get a 22% discount over what I would have paid in cash.

Check whether NC offers similar discounts. If so, that will affect your decision big time!

And by the way, I've never had a problem with my bill.
Only if you have a NY issued transponder. Other states transponder equals no discount.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
as of right now 540 does not accept ez pass. it is a nc specific one and is cheaper (at least for cars) if you get the nc one. I'm almost never on that road, I avoided it like the plague when I lived in Cary. I do have an ez pass but that is from when we lived in Nj and used it all the time. Now we just use it for trips home to see the family.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote