Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

Conflicted: new vs nearly new

Hoping I can get some feedback. Looking at the 233s Roo, found a 6 month old unit used 3 times for $3,000 less than a new one. Both are 2015's but the warranty doesn't transfer (so I've been told). So, do I risk the barely used and pay the extra $3,000 so I can have the warranty coverage?
knuteski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:14 AM   #2

Personally, I would pocket the 3k and take advantage of a third party extended warranty if it was a concern to me. Everyone's experience may vary, but I've always been lucky with a year old unit seeing that the original owners have generally already taken care of the "new in the box" warranty issues. The first year is, generally speaking, the roughest patch ironing out all the kinks.

That being said, you have to be the type of person that doesn't mind someone having already slept in your bed.. sort of speak.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Site Team

First off, welcome to the forum.
I traded in a 2013 camper after one year. Worked out most of the problems during that time. That's right it still had problems that the dealer / mfg didnt take care of to my satisfaction. That was not the only factor tho, think we did want something else too
Check everything out real good to make sure it works, buying used or new.
Goodluck and will need pics down the road.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

3k new to used is not enough in my opinion. Check it head to to. Look for re caulking,mismatched items, tires ect.

Offer 5k less and an in house 1year warrantee. If all checks out.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

What is 3,000 less then new? So what is the price for this used one and what is the price of the new one?

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

We just purchased a used 2014 23Ikss that still smelled new. They just didn't like the HTT, after being seasonal campers for years. They had purchased an extended warranty that was transferrable to us. He purchased the unit for 25K, we bought it from him for just shy of 14K. It is a beautiful unit. I don't think 3K would convince me to buy used, but for 11K, we jumped on it. Wish us luck!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

We bought from a rental fleet, so warranty came with it since it wasn't titled before. good buy for us, we have had all used rvs before nothing major has happened. they had to treat the beds, since it came from a dealer. no worries here. only been rented 6 times, and saved 6K.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Just my opinion opinion but as some others have stated 3K less than new does not seem like much savings. We have bought a TT used (2yr old) and a couple weeks later found a soft spot in a storage compartment and other minor problems. We purchased a new FW last May and have had a few minor issues but was no problem just took back to the dealer and they took care of it. If it were me and I could afford the 3K I would spend it to have the full warranty and new. I agree with the comment about knowing who has slept in your bed is a nice feeling.
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

New units need the bugs worked out. I have a '13 Sabre and still have items being rectified by the dealer. On a side note the dealer as a whole has really been a whole other story so had things been done right the first go round I might be all set. Warranty will give you piece of mind. I extended to 5 years and am grateful to have done so. $3 k is not a whole lot, especially without a warranty. That in itself is a little odd. Maybe it's been one issue after another hence the dealer saying no warranty. Good luck regardless.
Nastyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT233S View Post
What is 3,000 less then new? So what is the price for this used one and what is the price of the new one?
Great post. I bought my 2015 Salem 27RKSS last July for 21k before taxes. If you google that year and model i bet you will see them from 18k to 32k. There are scoundrel's out there.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

If the unit checks out with all equipment working, no obvious signs of wear and tear. Nothing screams like I have been in a flood. For a 3k savings, you are not at the pricepoint where you are going to argue to a 50% reduction to "Take it off his hands".

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #12

Based on my experience with warranty issues with my 2914.5 Wildcat Maxx 282RK, I'd go with used as long as there are no obvious problems. Getting warranty work done was a total nightmare and in the end I got tired of fighting with both FR and the dealer and picked up my fifth wheel from the dealer. After sitting in the dealer's lot for 6 months absolutely nothing was done to it. I paid for the repairs myself at an independant RV vendor.
Hopefully, a year old RV will have all of the problems already taken care of.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

I think the following problem exists when buying used. The original owner pays top dollar for the camper, then finances it with as little down as posible and for as long as posible. When he wants to sell it he owes more than a new one will cost at a dealer that has competitive prices.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I think the following problem exists when buying used. The original owner pays top dollar for the camper, then finances it with as little down as posible and for as long as posible. When he wants to sell it he owes more than a new one will cost at a dealer that has competitive prices.
That can certainly be an issue. Doing a little homework should keep you from that pitfall.

Personally, I've never financed a vehicle or "luxury" item in my life. I know more people that own their RV's outright than ones that are making payments. I couldn't even speculate on the percentages, but there are still a lot of 1 year olds out there that can be had for well under current market values.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

What do you camp/rv in Yarome? Some people can buy outright some can't but want the enjoyment of RVing. Yes they may be caught up in looking at one of those new bad boy's and restraint is the best but we(not you) get that "new car bug" and get bitten.Life goes on.
Happy motoring
Mike
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would say a discount of 15 to 20 % after it leaves the lot. That is reasonable, RV version of NADA would give you a range of prices. Being so close to purchase due diligence on Title and Lien search should be done.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
3k new to used is not enough in my opinion. Check it head to to. Look for re caulking,mismatched items, tires ect.

Offer 5k less and an in house 1year warrantee. If all checks out.

Salt
I tend to agree with Salt Shaker. A used hybrid is a bigger risk than a used TT or 5er by virtue of the fact that the are, in the case of the 233S, 3 big holes in the walls. I'd be very cautious with a unit that was traded in so quickly, but it might be fine.

I also agree that most of the time the major issues will have been found within the first year. I recently negotiated a deal on a one-owner 2011 so I'm not as concerned about a longer term warranty - I just insisted on a thorough PDI and a 30 day warranty.

I don't think you'll get a 1 yr warranty directly from any dealer but you could try to negotiate on the price of a reputable aftermarket longer term warranty. Search this forum for recommended aftermarket warranties. If you bought new you'd be able to get the second year warranty from FR for $150 so if it looks to be in excellent condition, try offering 15 - 20% less than new, plus a 24 month aftermarket warranty.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #18

Thanks for all the insight everybody. We passed on the nearly new one.
To answer the pricing questions, it was $17,000 and a new one was $20,000. Both included all costs except for tax & title.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #19

Knuteski Congratulations on getting a new rig! Questions though, was the used rig at the same dealer you bought the new rig from? Why was it only 6 months old? Did previous owner upgrade or return because of issues? On a 23' hybrid, to me some of the posts on fear of things wrong with it or could be wrong were a bit overstated. They really are not that complicated of RV's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

The nearly new one was from a private seller. They had to sell it for an unexpected change in their financial situation. Our biggest concern with the nearly new one is that since they barely used it, they didn't have time to shake out the cobwebs. We didn't want to be the ones to shake it out without a warranty (at least on the structural items).