Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

Crossing t's and dotting i's in a private sale

What do you need to do/know before taking possession of a used RV in a private sale? Is there usually a contract pending inspection? Paperwork? How do you check for liens and other issues?
Thanks in advance for your input!
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

This could vary from state to state. Typically if there is a lien holder it is noted somewhere on the title.

Sounds like you are purchasing....likely those details for inspection and what not are ironed out between the buyer and seller. You could negotiate something for an inspection from a dealer paid for by the seller or split between you and seller. Its a wise move to at least get it checked out unless you feel confident in doing your own inspections. In Missouri there is not a contract required other than a signature on the title. Unless you draft a contract or the seller has one for you to sign most states i think are the same.

Good luck! What are you buying?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

Try and find a local mobile RV tech who is willing (for a price) to do an inspection on the unit and point out any potential problems.

He or she should be willing to show you how to work EVERYTHING inside and out.

If you know and can trust the seller ask what if any issues or problems they had.

Your lender if using one should be able to determine how clear the title is, the local DMV might be of use as well.

Give the unit a good hard look over if you see something that looks wrong and are not happy walk away.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
What do you need to do/know before taking possession of a used RV in a private sale? Is there usually a contract pending inspection? Paperwork? How do you check for liens and other issues?
Thanks in advance for your input!
In Missouri, it is like buying a car from a individual. Any agreements are made up between the buyer and seller. Back and forth negotiations. The seller should have a clean title. The trailers are Titled and must have a license plate, renewed every two years. The license plate on the unit at the time of the sell belongs to the seller and must/should remain with him. There is NO law for 'inspections' by the STATE, for tires, lights, brakes, etc. It is a 'trailer' and on the state roads, all brake lights and blinkers must work or you may/can be ticketed.

Is this what you were looking for?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, we have yet to see the tt other than photos. It will likely be one of those "best offer" deals if it goes through since they are asking way more than we are willing to pay. If they come down to our price range, then we are going to go see it. If we get to the point of sale we will try to get someone qualified to do an inspection. I suspect there will be some requirements for bills of sale and other things for licensing since the state always wants to get a cut somewhere in the process.
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

I think that the 'sale price' may be written in on the back of the TITLE when it is transferred from seller to buyer. This amount will be the 'bases' of the 'value' of the trailer for 'taxing' purposes......

Do not take this as 'legal' advice, as I make no claims of being correct. (unless the DW says I am)

Do a little research by calling the local license office and/or the state DMV. (Department of Motor Vehicles) and ask about private RV sales and licenses and taxing information

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

Something to keep in mind if you are selling an RV. Just because you have signed over the title, you are not relieved of liability. Don't rely on the buyer to transfer the title. If he is in an accident before he has recorded the transfer of title, you could be potentially liable. Prepare a "Bill of Sale", make a copy of all documents and take them to your local DMV and have the transfer recorded there ASAP.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Before purchase, try and live in the camper for at least one night or a weekend. Operate EVERY feature and control. Open/close the dump valves. Fill the water tank. Check the tires - are they original. If so, knock off $600-$800 to replace the tires. (Too many owners find new tires are necessary in 5,000 miles or less.) Heat the water on both electric and propane. Switch from one propane tank to the second. If it is too cold now, perform the tests in the spring BEFORE delivery. Obviously I've not listed everything, but if you do a Google search for RV PDI (or some variation of that) you should come up with some check lists that fit the type camper you are considering.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Speaking as a Canadian with a lifetime automotive career behind me, this is what I did when we purchased privately last July.
1. Ask to see the ownership and verify that the name and address match the driver licence of the seller.
2. Take the VIN of the unit to a licence bureau and have it ran for liens.
3. Have the seller draw up a bill of sale or use the one from the licence bureau that comes with the buyers package.
4. Have the seller sign the ownership, then take it to the licence bureau and purchase the plate and have the ownership transferred to your name.
5. In Ontario while doing this, the licence bureau will require you to pay 13% GST at the time of transfer on the selling price, so a bill of sale is required at that time.
6. Drive away and enjoy, we love our travel trailer.
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

I sold a TT a couple summers ago... Here's how it went for me...

1. Negotiated the price over the phone, pending inspection.
2. Buyer came to me, inspected the camper, and signed 2 sales agreements (one for them, one for us). We both had the agreements notarized.
3. Buyer used a bank check as payment. Together, we called the bank and verified the check was legit.
4. Took the title to AAA, had the buyer sign and notarize. Buyer gave us the check and took the camper home.
5. Once check cleared, we signed off on the title and sent it via Fed Ex to the buyer.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

When we sold our tt via private sale we were up front that there was a lien on our tt. In NC and NJ, if there is a lien, the bank that holds the lien has possession of the title. We had prospective buyers cone out, look at our tt and make an offer. We negotiated back and forth to a fair price for both. We then agreed to meet at the buyers bank to have the cashier's check drawn up. We had a contract (2 copies) defendants notarized stating they were buying a 2011 crossroads zinger 26BL with vin #xyz123 for $0.00 it stated the sale was as is but contingent upon the seller producing a clean title. There are contracts you can download on line to cover this. We then gave the buyer a pdi/tutorial and helped them set up the wdh. They took posses that day. We handed the title over as soon as it came in the mail. The title sign over was notarized as well.

Most private used trailer sales are as is and buyer beware. I strongly advise taking someone along that knows about rvs or hire a mobile rv tech to inspect one you really want. Most are honest and disclose what they know about a trailer but it is all too common to see the sob story of someone who bought a water Damaged used trailer that has mold and a leak they didn't see before buying.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote