Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Crushed My Awning

I have a 2017 Rockwood Roo 23ws. (A great trailer by the way, very happy)
Recently when pulling out of a very tight campsite I brushed a tree and crushed the awning roller. No damage to the trailer.(Thank the Lord) The awning is fine but the metal roller is bent and crushed. From what I have read and seen on YouTube, putting on a new roller tube is costly and can be dangerous. I suspect it will cost about $800 to get it done professionally. Since finances are tight right now, is this an insurance issue? I am with Progressive and have never filed a claim. Anyone know how much I can expect my premium to rise if I file a claim for this size?

delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
Recently when pulling out of a very tight campsite I brushed a tree and crushed the awning roller. No damage to the trailer.(Thank the Lord) The awning is fine but the metal roller is bent and crushed. From what I have read and seen on YouTube, putting on a new roller tube is costly and can be dangerous. I suspect it will cost about $800 to get it done professionally. Since finances are tight right now, is this an insurance issue? I am with Progressive and have never filed a claim. Anyone know how much I can expect my premium to rise if I file a claim for this size?
I believe it will go against your auto insurance and not the camper insurance. About two years ago I backed into another camper in the storage lot, no damage to my camper, the other camper had minor damage but it went against my auto insurance because I was hooked up and moving.

wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
You could probably file an insurance claim but you have to weigh the cost of the repair against your deductible. If it's an $800 repair but you have a $1000 deductible, then it's not worth it. If you only have a $500 deductible, then you have to decide if saving the $300 is worth taking the hit of making a claim.

As far as what it will do to your premium, that's nearly impossible to say. Insurance companies like to use any excuse in the book to raise your rates and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to how much they go up.

It's sad but insurance is one of the only things where we get punished for using for it's intended purpose.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #4

Look up "MX57 RV Awning repair lnsert! " It might save you money! Youroo! !
Old 09-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

i just had to replace the back arm of my awning (yep, tail swing + brushed a tree = bent awning arm) on my shamrock 23WS. The replacement ran me about 800 dollars BUT since i needed it fixed for a scheduled week at the beach, my dealer was able to get it from Dometic faster than from Forest River (2 days versus 3 weeks) but at a 200.00 premium (yep would have paid 200.00 less for the part if getting it from forest river versus the awning manufacturer).

So, you may be able to get it done cheaper than you think. the best way is to get an estimate and decide from there whether it is worth it to claim on insurance (was not for me - I have a 500.00 deductable, so the 300 dollars difference was not really enough to make it worth a possible hit on my insurance.)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

I's call my insurance agent and ask.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I believe it will go against your auto insurance and not the camper insurance. About two years ago I backed into another camper in the storage lot, no damage to my camper, the other camper had minor damage but it went against my auto insurance because I was hooked up and moving.
In my experience damage to camper covered by rv insurance damage to other vehicles or property covered by auto insurance
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
In my experience damage to camper covered by rv insurance damage to other vehicles or property covered by auto insurance
I'm guessing that some of you guys don't have a separate policy on your RV's?

Both my truck and RV have separate policies with Progressive...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm guessing that some of you guys don't have a separate policy on your RV's?
Depends on the state and type of vehicle. In Texas, tt liability for other vehicles is generally covered by the tow vehicle. But not always and certainly not for property damage to the tt itself without a separate policy.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
All depends on the insurance, but typically they don't 'punish' you by raising your rates. It just seems like it. What actually happens is that before, you were getting something like a 'Claims Free' Discount. This will vary from company to company, but you can see anywhere from 5-20% off your 'established' rates by getting this discount. Once you make a claim, you lose this discount and now you're paying your actual rates. In the end, you're paying more money, one way or the other, but it's in the semantics of how you end up paying more money. This way, they can claim you're paying the same rates you were before and aren't being punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
i just had to replace the back arm of my awning (yep, tail swing + brushed a tree = bent awning arm) on my shamrock 23WS. The replacement ran me about 800 dollars BUT since i needed it fixed for a scheduled week at the beach, my dealer was able to get it from Dometic faster than from Forest River (2 days versus 3 weeks) but at a 200.00 premium (yep would have paid 200.00 less for the part if getting it from forest river versus the awning manufacturer).

So, you may be able to get it done cheaper than you think. the best way is to get an estimate and decide from there whether it is worth it to claim on insurance (was not for me - I have a 500.00 deductable, so the 300 dollars difference was not really enough to make it worth a possible hit on my insurance.)
That $200 difference might have just been the shipping charge. My dealer will waive the shipping charge on something if we can wait for it to come in with a scheduled unit. They have FR throw the extra part in the trailer and get it shipped that way. If we want it quicker, we can pay to have it shipped, but it usually ends up being costly.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
All depends on the insurance, but typically they don't 'punish' you by raising your rates. It just seems like it. What actually happens is that before, you were getting something like a 'Claims Free' Discount. This will vary from company to company, but you can see anywhere from 5-20% off your 'established' rates by getting this discount. Once you make a claim, you lose this discount and now you're paying your actual rates. In the end, you're paying more money, one way or the other, but it's in the semantics of how you end up paying more money. This way, they can claim you're paying the same rates you were before and aren't being punished.

That $200 difference might have just been the shipping charge. My dealer will waive the shipping charge on something if we can wait for it to come in with a scheduled unit. They have FR throw the extra part in the trailer and get it shipped that way. If we want it quicker, we can pay to have it shipped, but it usually ends up being costly.
Nope that was the price difference for the part. Shipping was separate.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #12

When hooked to the car itís auto insurance. When sitting itís on RV insurance.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnman View Post
When hooked to the car itís auto insurance. When sitting itís on RV insurance.
Damage to your RV that you cause is never covered by your car insurance.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Damage to your RV that you cause is never covered by your car insurance.
I believe that is correct.

At least in New York, the tow vehicle liability coverage extends to the trailer being pulled...the collision coverage does not.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
I believe that is correct.

At least in New York, the tow vehicle liability coverage extends to the trailer being pulled...the collision coverage does not.
Same in Ohio
Old 09-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Same in Ohio
Don't know how long you've been with Progressive. I've been with them for years. I've had claims and they have never raised my rate other than when we got more expensive TT. I you are handy, it is not that bad to change roller out. Back in the day we left the awning out and it rained. Bad part kids decided to open door cutting awning and roller was bent. Anyway I was same way with high deductible, so I ordered new awning and roller. I was able to change it out myself. It was the manual kind. Just had to wind the spring up and make sure it was latched. Haven't done one that is electric, but it shouldn't be that had.

Tags
awning