Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

custom build from manufacturer

I am new to the forum and am hoping to get some help. I live in San Diego and have been looking purchasing the Grey Wolf 26DBH. This will be the first trailer I have ever purchased and am trying to do all my homework before I pull the trigger. Here is a list of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. I understand that many Forest River brands with same floor plans are very similar with small differences. When it comes to looks we like the modern look but I am not sure what else to look at for differences in trailers so what is your opinion on the Grey Wolf compared to other brands?

2. The local dealer in Temecula did not have exactly what I wanted so I started looking at purchasing from the manufacturer and came across a company that will custom order one for me at a great price but they are located in Indiana close to the plant so it will cost me $3750 to ship it here. I understand they have plants here on the west cost so do you have any recommendations for a wholesale dealer closer to me that would be able to match pricing and cut down on shipping costs?

3. I own a 2013 Ford F150 supercrew FX4 with towing capacity of 7750 according to the specs. This trailer will weigh almost 6k dry and I am trying to choose a sway control brand and size. Opinions on Husky, E2 or other brand?

4. I have a 10 ft kayak and surfboards that I want to take with me on my trips. I would prefer to attach it to the trailer in some way but I am not sure how. My options are the roof or the back but there isn't really many tie down spots. Does anyone else have good ideas of strapping larger objects down.

If you answer this post thank you for your help.
JRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

1) I would look at a couple then ask if anyone has had experience with that particular model. Differences are usually fairly obvious although there are things different manufacturers do like powder coat frames or different wall construction.

2) Not familiar with your area, try an online search.

3) Have had good luck with the Equalizer brand.

4)The roof will be damaged by anything "tied down" to it. A rack for your truck might work.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. might work better if you ask one or two at a time instead of a bunch. I will address #2 Your local dealers should be able to order anything you want with the price you are happy with. local meaning something within a reasonable distance
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

I have a Trac Rac on the back of my truck for carrying 2 kayaks. It takes 5-7 minutes to mount or dismount the Trac Rac. When they and the trailer are not in use I store them in the trailer.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRad View Post
I am new to the forum and am hoping to get some help. I live in San Diego and have been looking purchasing the Grey Wolf 26DBH. This will be the first trailer I have ever purchased and am trying to do all my homework before I pull the trigger. Here is a list of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on having the sense to ask the questions BEFORE you buy the trailer! I can't help with questions 1 and 2 but I have some input regarding questions 3 and 4.

Quote:
3. I own a 2013 Ford F150 supercrew FX4 with towing capacity of 7750 according to the specs. This trailer will weigh almost 6k dry and I am trying to choose a sway control brand and size. Opinions on Husky, E2 or other brand?
Looking at the 2013 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide I don't see a supercrew 4x4 with a tow rating of 7750. 7700, yes, for the 5.0L short box with 3.55:1 final drive. Is that your truck?

If that is your tow rating, the trailer you are looking at is almost certainly too much for the truck for the following reasons.
  • Dry weight is a fantasy number and really has no meaning because it may exclude such "options" as propane tanks, propane, a battery and an air conditioner.
  • Stuff you put in the truck (people and cargo) and trailer (camping stuff) add a LOT of weight that subtract from the towing capacity.
A good rule of thumb if you care about the numbers - shop by a trailer's GVWR and pick one at least 1000 lbs lower than your truck's tow rating.

Quote:
4. I have a 10 ft kayak and surfboards that I want to take with me on my trips. I would prefer to attach it to the trailer in some way but I am not sure how. My options are the roof or the back but there isn't really many tie down spots. Does anyone else have good ideas of strapping larger objects down.
We designed and built a stake pocket kayak rack for the truck.

Plans and details are at Truck mods - Kayak rack

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Team

JRad, there are NO "wholesale" dealers in the western US.
That's why West Coast dealers jack up their prices.
And that's why many of us buy from Midwest dealers and either have it shipped or drive to pick it up, which is what we did.

There are only a handful of FR factories out west and they only make a few brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

Dry Hitch Weight:
740 lb. Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 5,750 lb. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 7,740 lb. Cargo Carrying Capacity: 1,952 lb. Exterior Length: 31 ft. 7 in.

You are correct my truck is the 2013 supercrew Fx4 short box with the 5.0 and is rated for 7700. The specs for the trailer I would like to buy are above. Do you think this is too much trailer for my truck?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Team

What is the truck's payload capacity?
It's on the yellow sticker on the drivers side door.
That's where most 1/2 tons fall short.

By the way, we lived in California when we bought our trailer, back in 2006.
We were so frustrated with West Coast dealers and their inflated prices, we bought from a dealer in Chicago.
Even after trip costs, we still saved over $4000 on a $23k MSRP trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #9

JRad,

If its at all possible go and find one already on the lot somewhere, even if that means taking a long distance trip to do it. That way you can go over the actual unit you're buying with a fine tooth comb before making any type of commitment and prior to any PDI.

When you plop down a deposit and order from the factory, you're taking the chance that when it arrives you get handed a lemon. The chances of that happening are greater than most people think. You always have the option of rejecting it and ordering another. but that will take another 8 to 12 weeks or longer. Believe me its no picnic if it go's down that way.

And whatever you do if you put down a deposit, make sure you get in writing the deposit is refundable if the unit arrives and is not satisfactory due to build issues. Sometimes some real surprises leave Indiana.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Payload

In regards to the payload it is 1554lb. Learning a lot here but still confused. Is the grey wolf 26dbh too much for my truck? Not sure if it helps but it has the trailer towing button and the brake control.

Thank you again for any help
Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
In regards to the payload it is 1554lb. Learning a lot here but still confused. Is the grey wolf 26dbh too much for my truck? Not sure if it helps but it has the trailer towing button and the brake control.

Thank you again for any help
Well, you should be fine but be aware of payload.

The trailer's loaded tongue weight and the WDH, will easily put you at or over 1000lbs.
Leaving you around 500lbs for people and cargo in the truck.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
JRad,
Sometimes some real surprises leave Indiana.
This is not only one of the best lines I've ever heard,but also the best advice! My wife and I spent a couple hours hanging out in the GW plant while it was running last year.We will leave it at that.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #13

If you are going custom, have them put in the backing for a ladder. That way you can carry surfboards OR kayak there. I don't think it will handle both. I have the Grey Wolf 23 BD and we really like it. I asked about adding a ladder and the salesman said of course it can be added. He did not mention we would have to take the paneling off the back of the bathroom and around the tub to add backing boards to attach the ladder. Now I need to figure out a different way to install a wind generator.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #14

We're in the same boat here on the California Central Coast. Trying to do all the research I can to get the best price. I've been using RV Wholesalers quotes to try and strike a deal. So far it looks like it would definitely be worth the while to order from RVW and drive it back. We want a class C Forester and many of the units I found here in California do not have the levelers. I can order one with levelers and still come in way under any of the "best" prices locally.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:

1. I understand that many Forest River brands with same floor plans are very similar with small differences. When it comes to looks we like the modern look but I am not sure what else to look at for differences in trailers so what is your opinion on the Grey Wolf compared to other brands?

2. The local dealer in Temecula did not have exactly what I wanted so I started looking at purchasing from the manufacturer and came across a company that will custom order one for me at a great price but they are located in Indiana close to the plant so it will cost me $3750 to ship it here. I understand they have plants here on the west cost so do you have any recommendations for a wholesale dealer closer to me that would be able to match pricing and cut down on shipping costs?

If you answer this post thank you for your help.
#3 Equalizer 4 point with sway control. You are at the edge so get 1200# bars.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote