Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
That is attractive! I have heard there are some limitations & restrictions...sure wish a CW was closer than Chattanooga (@ 100 miles away)
For the cost of the install, it might be worth the trip. You should check what the standard cost is vs. the $29 special. It's good on Saturday too.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I had though that also but there was a thread on here last week I think. Where somebody asked CW about the $29 installation for a hard wired surge protector and CW told him that it didn't apply for those.
It's worth a shot though. Maybe he talked to the wrong person , who knows.
I just looked at the flier, and there was no mention of surge protectors being exempt. I had air bags installed at the end of October before the special was announced. I paid almost $450 for installation. Went back to CW and to see if there could be an adjustment and they gave me $325 in merchandise certificates. I thought that was great!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I just looked at the flier, and there was no mention of surge protectors being exempt. I had air bags installed at the end of October before the special was announced. I paid almost $450 for installation. Went back to CW and to see if there could be an adjustment and they gave me $325 in merchandise certificates. I thought that was great!
That's awesome. Definitely worth checking into. I bought my 5vr in the so called off season and bought last years model. Saved a bunch of money.
I regretted it at first but now I'm glad I did. I have all winter to properly outfit it with quality gear and get it ready for spring. I'll get there piece by piece. This and other forums have been a great source of info.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Just a thought on those of you looking at a surge protector. I purchased the progressive EMS-PT50C. It is the portable protector. I added a couple of plugs in my electrical bay and installed in the bay. Serves a couple of purposes. 1. It is out of the weather. 2. It is secured in the bay from prying eyes. 3. I can easily unplug it and use on my next RV, if I get another.

Just food for thought.....
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I had though that also but there was a thread on here last week I think. Where somebody asked CW about the $29 installation for a hard wired surge protector and CW told him that it didn't apply for those.
It's worth a shot though. Maybe he talked to the wrong person , who knows.
I am haveing a email conversation with CW/Chattanooga service - I will let the forum know what they say when they reply
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Just a thought on those of you looking at a surge protector. I purchased the progressive EMS-PT50C. It is the portable protector. I added a couple of plugs in my electrical bay and installed in the bay. Serves a couple of purposes. 1. It is out of the weather. 2. It is secured in the bay from prying eyes. 3. I can easily unplug it and use on my next RV, if I get another.

Just food for thought.....
I was thinking of trying to do something like this with our 5er (we do not have a bay - so I am trying to figure out how I could secure the portable one on/in my unit)

I am also confused why the hardwired unit is SO much more expensive! You would think not haveing to weatherize the box would save some $$!!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Just a thought on those of you looking at a surge protector. I purchased the progressive EMS-PT50C. It is the portable protector. I added a couple of plugs in my electrical bay and installed in the bay. Serves a couple of purposes. 1. It is out of the weather. 2. It is secured in the bay from prying eyes. 3. I can easily unplug it and use on my next RV, if I get another. Just food for thought.....
I was thinking the same thing. I was wanting it portable so when we upgrade we don't have to buy another. It's good to hear that I might be able to do something like this.
I'll have to check for space when I head over to storage to put the humidifiers in.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #18

Let me know if you figure out something. I have a portable surge protector too, but on my 5er like so many others, the power cord plugs into a fixture on the street side wall of the rig. No electrical bay. I don't like leaving mine exposed, but so far I've never heard of one being stolen. I have the lock box that goes around the male connector, but it's plastic and could be easily broken if one desired to do so.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Let me know if you figure out something. I have a portable surge protector too, but on my 5er like so many others, the power cord plugs into a fixture on the street side wall of the rig. No electrical bay. I don't like leaving mine exposed, but so far I've never heard of one being stolen. I have the lock box that goes around the male connector, but it's plastic and could be easily broken if one desired to do so.
Lloyd,

Wanted to bounce my bright idea off you and the rest of the forum...

50AMP Extension cable:
Amazon.com: Camco 55197 30 AMP 50' RV PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive

$65.00

Conduit on undercarrige of 5er (or TT) to front basement (for a 5er I am thinking the front battery basement)
attach 50 amp existing cable to recepticle, route cable through conduit to front basement.
Connect existing cable to brownout/surge protector

Here my thoughts get murky on HOW to get extension cable to shore power...
route extension cable through existing battery vent?
custom cut a access port (beyond my skill level!)

Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #20

The cable you mentioned is a 30 amp not a 50 amp. It's 50' long. As far as configuration, I'm not sure how you would do it. I'll wait for someone else to post in. Like I mentioned earlier, if it were me, I'd op for the more expensive hard wired surge protector and let CW install it for $29. For the mean time, I have the portable protector and will just have to live with that for now.