Old 09-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Dealer Add ons - ughh

Ok so I'm pretty new here and we are purchasing our first camper (Coachmen 40ft 5th wheel).

I've spent at least 10+ hours reading the forums and learning A LOT!! I know the whole Extended warranty has been beat to death but I guess I still have to ask the questions as I think the pricing is pretty fair.

My 5th wheel is the 360IBL which has 4 slide outs and auto leveling jacks. The Coachmen is not eligible for the 2nd year $150 warranty. I read about a lot of the internal components (hot water heater, fridge, stove, slide outs etc). Seems some have a 2 year warranty and some parts have a 3 year warranty.

My dealer who seems to be a wholesaler seems to be offering me a decent price on both compared to what I've read on these forums from people getting quotes.

7 year (starts at day 1 so really 6 years) I was quoted at $1,995 with $100 deductible. This is a link to the brochure (yes I know to read the fine print) that shows the components that are covered

https://www.terrytownrv.com/Portfoli...y-Brochure.pdf

I also got a quote from the RV Wholesale Warranties who quoted me around $1,500 for what looks like the same coverage upfront or $1,800 in 12 payments.

I'm really torn with this.. I know some say, bank the money but the way I look at it, it's less then $15 a month to have the warranty rolled into my loan through my dealer.

My thoughts were, don't buy until after the 1st year to see what goes wrong and decide at that point.

SECOND item is the Platinum Protection System. They mention a interior/exterior package but for me, I could care less about the inside. We do not wear our shoes, leather couches, vinyl floors.. nothing really to be concerned about. We do not smoke and we do not wear our shoes inside.

However the exterior, although expensive, have not seen it quoted this low on here. $1,195 for 5 year protection. Here is the description from the manufacturer's product

Protective Coatings

"Environmental Paint Protection System helps prevent environmental damage such as weather induced weather induced fading, weather induced chalking, weather induced loss of gloss, acid rain, bird waste, tree sap and insect damage while maintaining a showroom new paint finish."

Now I've read over and over, just buy some $20 wax and some applicator pads and do it yourself. However when I think about a 40 foot camper, both sides, front and back, and the whole roof, $1,200 seems somewhat appealing for not having to wax it. Yes it is probably $50 worth of product however the manufacturer (Coachmen) says to wax it every 6 months. That does not seem appealing to me. I also thought about getting a cover that is breathable and keeping it covered when not in use.

Ohhhhh the agony of trying to decide. If the costs didn't seem semi reasonable, I wouldn't even be asking.

Again, sorry to beat a dead horse but looking for opinions on this.

I'm sure I know what most will say but would love to get some more opinions.

Thanks for ALL the help!! Great forum here!!

Old 09-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Why I didn't buy an extended warranty/service contract, the things that I wanted covered, delamination and frame issues, they don't cover. I felt that I can pay for appliances, ACs and things like that. But I don't want to pay for delamination or frame issues because of the cost. I couldn't find a extended warranty that provided for those items. Good Luck

Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Extended warranties are a personal choice. For some people it is worth the peace of mind and for other people it is like giving away money. Decide what decision you can live with and don't look back.

Good luck.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Not going to comment on the extended warranty as thats up to you. As far as the protective coating, either inside or out, I'd pass. Inside, just get yourself a few cans of Scotchguard and go to it.
Outside, I don't care what their trying to pass off on you, you will still need to clean and detail it. Don't know if your rig is all paint or vinyl graphics, but if you take the time to do it yourself, if your able, you will save a bunch of $$$.
We have a Lexi motorhome, and I wash it after a trip. and keep it waxed using Turtle Wax Ice. Its easy to apply and remove, and I can do the rig in about 2-3 hours. If you have vinyl graphics you want to use a synthetic wax like the Ice as the carnuba in real wax will degrade the vinyl over time.
Whatever the protectant is, it will degrade over time and you will still end up having to wax it once or twice a year. Yeah, it's a pain sometimes, but it's also pride of ownership, keeping it looking good, and knowing it's done right.
Grumpy
Old 09-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #5

You can get the 2nd year warranty from FR but because it is a higher value RV but it will cost more than $150 just like you can't get a 2nd year on a MH for $150. But you have to purchase it from FR as soon as possible after the purchase. FR says within 10 days of delivery but they have been waiving that because they can't keep up with the demand (it has been a VERY good year for RV Mfrs) and many dealers don't even mention that it is available. I got mine about 4 months after purchase and they allowed it. You can get the details from FR.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
You can get the 2nd year warranty from FR but because it is a higher value RV but it will cost more than $150 just like you can't get a 2nd year on a MH for $150. But you have to purchase it from FR as soon as possible after the purchase. FR says within 10 days of delivery but they have been waiving that because they can't keep up with the demand (it has been a VERY good year for RV Mfrs) and many dealers don't even mention that it is available. I got mine about 4 months after purchase and they allowed it. You can get the details from FR.
FR does not offer the 2nd year on Coachmen campers. I have already talked with the woman at FR who handles this. They do not offer it on the brands they have acquired, only the original brands FR owned. Also confirmed by the 2nd year paper, it does not list Coachmen.

To others, thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I thought and read.. just needed more assurance.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

With regards to waxing, we figured that the moment we pulled off the lot we had already lost 50% of the value based on local resale. We will just take it to the truck wash once or twice a year and keep it clean and waxed that way. 8-10 years the kids will be all grown up & outta the trailer and we can downsize then. Our last trailer (surveyor sv303), we did get the whole wax package, warranty, etc... Warranty covered replacing both septic tank and grey water, replaced flooring, replaced decals on outside of trailer (was defective day after we took it home). Did not cover the awning latch releasing from ice build up during the winter and allowing the wind to unroll it just enough to shred the awning ($700 replacement, dealer price). The new trailer we did some research and found a warranty company that'll cover us for 6 years after the manufacturer warranty ends. I know your risking losing 1-2k if you never lose it, but I've spent more money on dumber things than warranty. My 2 cents seem to be worth nothing these days with the new coin rounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
dealer