Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
Site Team

If they emailed everything to you they are just trying to speed things along so you won't have to spend as much time at the dealership. It's not necessarily malicious in intent.

That said, just because they emailed it doesn't mean you have to sign in and send it back right away. The advise about not signing anything until you are completely satisfied and comfortable with your new purchase still applies.

I would just print everything out and have it ready to go when you go to pick up your trailer but insist on a complete PDI before anything else.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

If the deal has a statement that it is only valid upon a successful PDI and requires you to sign it after the PDI, I would feel more comfortable with that. That is, assuming they are handling the financing for you. If you are paying cash or have secured your own financing, the paperwork could wait until you arrive at the dealers lot. Be careful and I wish you the best!

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Site Team

If you are going up to pick it up, then after you have done the PDI and everything works, you can sign paperwork and pay them. Do not accept sign and take it now and you can bring it back later to have issues found during PDI completed. Dealers are very busy and you could be without your new toy for a month or two this summer. They want to get paid so if they need to repair something before you accept the unit, it will get fixed quickly. Once they are paid you become just another customer to many service departments. Be sure to ask for and get the FR ( not third party) 2nd year warranty. Also be sure to ask the dealer for the build sheet. It should list make, model and serial number of all installed appliances. Do not let the dealer rush the PDI. If this is your first RV, video anything you think you might forget how to use.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Priest 6 View Post
We did put down a $500 deposit

Excellent!

Still, just as others have mentioned "sign only when you are pleased with the deal". Other than that, Congrats to the new TT....and Happy Camping!
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are going up to pick it up, then after you have done the PDI and everything works, you can sign paperwork and pay them. Do not accept sign and take it now and you can bring it back later to have issues found during PDI completed. Dealers are very busy and you could be without your new toy for a month or two this summer. They want to get paid so if they need to repair something before you accept the unit, it will get fixed quickly. Once they are paid you become just another customer to many service departments. Be sure to ask for and get the FR ( not third party) 2nd year warranty. Also be sure to ask the dealer for the build sheet. It should list make, model and serial number of all installed appliances. Do not let the dealer rush the PDI. If this is your first RV, video anything you think you might forget how to use.

Will do. Thanks for all the advice. I plan on getting the 2nd year FR warrenty, but what should I do for after the 2 years is up?

2012 Infinity QX56
2017 Forest River Cherokee 274DBH
Halifax, Massachusetts
Old 06-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Will do. Thanks for all the advice. I plan on getting the 2nd year FR warrenty, but what should I do for after the 2 years is up?

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
Hope you got everything fixed that broke in the first two years... Seriously though, if you are using the trailer most things that will break will break in your first year or so (prob sooner as in right away). Now that does not mean things still cannot go wrong but spend the time enjoying the trailer.. Use the warranty IF needed, but do not worry about it! ENJOY IT!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:

X2 with doc73.

Once you send in ALL your warranty cards ( stove, fridge, A/C, etc. ) attached with your paperwork, you will still be contacted by those same vendors wanting you to extend your warranties, and the costs associated to renew them at a later date.

Only then will you be able to make a better judgment call on extending them. I personally did not. I think after 3 years into owning my TT I would hope that I have all the bugs out of it and if anything needed fixed not under warranty then, well, I would deal with it then.

Depending on ones TT, and its options, this decision will differ widely.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Site Team

You will get many varying responses on 3rd party warranties. Getting one depends on many factors. If you have no ability to do any mechanical repairs, it might be an option. Many 3rd party warranties require some annual service/ inspection which is out of your pocket and usually a few hundred dollars. If you do decide to get an extended warranty, read the document carefully. There are many escape clauses in most of them. I recommend putting the money you would spend on an extended warranty and paying for repairs as needed. You generally come out ahead. In addition, warranty work usually takes a back burner to paid retail repairs. Appliances in the unit are all covered under separate Mfgr's warranty anyway.

Good Luck, Take your time and make it Fun.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Buying and picking up.

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
Quote:
The dealership refers to us going up there and taking ownership as "taking delivery". Not delivering the TT to my house.

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
OK, thanks for the clarification. As others have stated, you probably should hold off on the final paperwork until a satisfactory PDI has been done. They can balk at this, but you can also walk away. They know it, and you know it.

Any chance you told them you are planning to pick this RV up on a weekend? Some dealers don't have the F&I people there on weekends, which could also be a reason to have the paperwork done beforehand.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #20

Sales Agreement

Not to say my way was the smartest way BUT I took a gamble and ordered/bought our 2014 FF Flagstaff new from a dealer in Albany NY.
We live on Cape Cod, MA and I'm usually very diligent to sticking to my guns but similar circumstances as far as payment.........needed to put x amount down to get the build started.....more when it was finished...........and more when it was shipped. That's the way it was....period.....good thing was some of the funds were on a credit card for my own protection.
One thing on our side was we had friends in that area and we visited the dealership to make sure I wasn't going to be sending money to Nigeria or something.
It went smooth enough and I was pleased enough that I even sent a final payment so I could register it and get plates to go up and bring it home. (Thank you MA RMV for making it difficult...as usual)
My thought process was, it wasn't leaving the dealership until I was happy and I had no plans of returning it to the dealership after I left.
EVERYTHING went as planned with the exception of the shower door sweep that was torn that I didn't catch on the PDI. But I wasn't going to tow it off Cape to have it fixed under warranty regardless....$7 part that slides in a groove? Do the math (Shower manufacturer sent me a new one plus a spare at no charge, just took a phone call)
Bottom line is, maybe I dodged a bullet and not to say it was it the smartest way of doing it, but we got the trailer we wanted and the options we wanted.
Mind you even with cash in hand, not one dealer in MA or RI would get or even order it for us.
When and if the time comes, probably do the same way with that dealer again..........

Ron,
North Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Edition

Tags
dealer, led