Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Dealer Extended Warranty

Hey all, we just purchased an RV on Friday and will be calling Forest River to get the 2nd year warranty. However, the dealer is also offering their extended warranty that goes out 5 years. I'm sure there are many ways of looking at this, but right now all I can see is that I would be paying for a 5 year extended warranty with the dealer, but really only utilizing 3 years of it since I will have the 2 year with Forest River.

Their warranty is running roughly 2k for a 5 year warranty, but will have a 2 year warranty already in place for a mere $150 extra through Forest River.

Any recommendations on whether or not it makes sense to go ahead and pick up the dealer warranty for 5 years as well. Thanks for any/all advice.
csoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

IMHO you're just buying an insurance policy in case something happens. Most issues will likely happen in the first year and with proper maintenance you might be good. Also, you do a little reading you might find that like mine, the appliances were under warranty for two years. My dealer didn't even realize that...by their response. My furnace needed repair after 23.75 months.

For 2K you can fix a lot of issues yourself and still be ahead. It's just a big gamble. What is covered for the 5 years?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

IMHO skip the 5 year but definitely go with FR's 2 year.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

I would not take the extended 5 year warranty.
Way to much money...I got the extra year for 150$ on my Rockwood, wich is reasonable.
Extended warranties...on anything...is just a money grab in my opinion.
I NEVER buy them, much more better places to spend my hard earned money than this.
Many sales rep became less friendly when I tell them I'm not interested.
Eggs
eggs5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Team

nearly all those 3rd party extended warranties actually don't cover many of the common RV issues/problems, if you read the fine print.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Thanks all. It sounds to me like most would forgo the dealer extended warranty and that re-inforces my own thoughts, so much appreciated. Will make sure we get everything worked on before that 2nd year is up.
csoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Dealer extended warranty

Skip the 5 year and go with the Forrest River 2 year, they are great at fixing any issues you may have and as others have said most problems will pop up in the first couple of years.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

I too say skip the 5 year and get the 2nd year for the piece of mind

I had two warranty issues on my 2011 Rockwood - for the price of gas to take it in for warranty - I replaced the gas line pigtails and tightened the bearings on two of the axles - save me $100 in fuel and 4 hours of drive time

I am out of warranty and the only issue I have is with the radio - it will only turn on with the remote and not the power button - soon to be replaced with a JVC unit probably after tax time.

other then those few items I didn't have to use any of the warranty but well worth the piece of mind to have
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs5p View Post
I would not take the extended 5 year warranty.
Way to much money...I got the extra year for 150$ on my Rockwood, wich is reasonable.
Extended warranties...on anything...is just a money grab in my opinion.
I NEVER buy them, much more better places to spend my hard earned money than this.
Many sales rep became less friendly when I tell them I'm not interested.
Eggs
Example: $1,500.00 extended warranty

Dealer pays $1,000.00 for that extended warranty

Finance guy typically gets 25% of that $500.00 profit

(DH used to sell recreational vehicles...boats in FL...and other vehicles, so he knows the game. I've seen a finance guy throw F bombs...seriously... at DH while negotiating that extended warranty, as DH *knows* those numbers and isn't about to pay full price, or an inflated price.) DH actually enjoys playing the game, but the F bombs sent him over the top. I'll just say that finance guy is no longer employed at that company...nope, that wasn't an RV dealership.

We paid $1,500.00 for extended warranty on the V-Lite we bought last June, so the dealer refunded $1,250.00 of that to us when we bought the 5er January 4th. We applied that back to the extended warranty on the 5er, so we were out of pocket only $250.00 this time around.

Our extended warranty doesn't kick in until after FR's initial warranty expires, according to our finance guy.

BTW, the starting price for our extended warranty on the RV was $2,295.00. Make 'em sharpen that pencil!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #10

I did everything wrong, I did not do enough research on my Windjammer before my purchase. I purchased the unit mid December and along with it I also purchased the extended warranty for an additional 5 years of coverage. I was not aware of the manufacturer second year warranty, till I received it in the mail a month after my purchase. Of course, the extended warranty has already been financed in the deal. A little late now it would have been cheaper by a lot to purchase it from Forrest River. I did not get on this web site and find out about it until after the purchase. I was amazed when I received the offer in the mail, it was a copy (very poor I might add ) not even straight on the paper, no cover letter of explanation. Really not very professional looking. I will not be purchasing the FR warranty , no sense in being covered twice. I am a new camper and I am very pleased with my purchase . Probably didn't need the extended warranty if it would have been a vehicle purchase I would not have purchased the warranty. Being new and not familiar with a TT made me do it.. Oh well live and learn Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #11

We were offered an extended warranty for life as long as we have our trailer inspected / serviced annually by the dealer (any dealer actually). The requirement is for the inspection to include water heater flush, wheel bearing repack, and the brakes adjusted. Our dealer would want @ $250 for this service, so it essentially comes out to $250 per year with no requirement to continue past the first year. The warranty appears to cover everything but the slide and the electric tongue jack. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this beyond it does give the dealer some annual income from service?
JgatorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

When I purchased my Windjammer, the dealer had just starting offering what they call "Warranty Forever " as long as the required maintenance is completed by any RV dealer, most things are covered. I never got the price on what this service will cost. I guess I will find out next December. Being new to camping I was a easy target. I think I am covered for a while on just about everything, I am sure I got a good price on the TT but they made the up difference on the warranty.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #13

Another option is to get the second year from Forest River for $150 or $200, and then when that is almost timed out get the extended warranty/service contract. I looked into doing just that and ending up not getting one.
There are also some extended warranties/service contracts the offer up to 50% of the cost to the seller. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We went with the dealer 5 year warranty, but only because they threw it in at no charge. Yes, I double checked the numbers and made sure it was still no charge and not just built into the financing somewhere.

Since I had the dealer one, I never bothered getting FR's 2nd year one.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #15

Wow...just joined forum but already realizing the valuable info on here!
theayers128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I did everything wrong, I did not do enough research on my Windjammer before my purchase. I purchased the unit mid December and along with it I also purchased the extended warranty for an additional 5 years of coverage. ....A little late now it would have been cheaper by a lot to purchase it from Forrest River.
It may not be too late. Read your contract, there usually is an opt-out clause for a specified time frame. That's what happened to us. I got buyers remorse on the 5 yr warranty and was able to get a full refund that went to the finance company against the balance.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theayers128 View Post
Wow...just joined forum but already realizing the valuable info on here!

Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
B@M VOLS

What about Good Sams extended service plan? Been looking at it. 2 yr plan. Any info? I didn't know about FR.
blingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #19

I'm glad I ran across this forum - we just bought our Micro Lite last week, and were offered the 5 year warranty for $1500. We said we'd think about it for a few days and get back with them, and then I found the info on the second year from FR for $150. I'm amazed by the difference in the cost, and couldn't figure out why the one was so much more (as usual, thinking more expensive might be better!). So it sounds like the consensus is just buy the 2nd year from FR, right? Any opposing views on that?
jmufes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #20

Wait till the factory warranty is about up and get a Good Sam Extended Service Plan. Much better than the ones the dealer try's to sell you. Check it out at the Good Sam website.
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty