Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's been over 2 years since my most recent purchase from RVWholesalers, which was my 3rd TT from them, so I'm trying to recall exactly the process. But, IIRC, when I arrived, they had the camper ready to show me and had a tech assigned for as long as I needed him. No rush at all. Had plenty of time to go through EVERYTHING and ask questions. Anything I found that needed attention was immediately taken care of, which in my case was only a few small cosmetic things like a piece of trim needing an additional staple. After all of this I went back in and we completed the paperwork. I did place a $1K deposit to hold the camper. After paperwork was completed, they even allowed me to have a heated space in the shop to install my ProPride hitch. This tied up one of their bays for ~4 hours, but they were happy to do it. Unbelievably accommodating, helpful and great to work with. I think I'd walk and give RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH, a call. You'll probably save a good bit of money, too. Good luck.
Couch's did the same thing.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #22

"Remember that a PDI is not just an inspection, it is also a training session you."

That is not true. You will not see training on PDI inspection checklists. It may be helpful to a newbie and some owners for a dealer to do that and they may say it is part of the PDI, but it is not true.

It helps deflect your mind from focusing on what you need to be doing...identifying issues so you can avoid as much as possible having to come in on warranty for build failures and bad components that should have been fixed before you took delivery.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #23

The PDI is an important part of the buying process! As part of the negotiations did you opt out of a PDI for a lower price?

I went through a experience over the summer attempting to purchase a new GT five hours away, and out of state. (Competitive price, and with exact colors / floor plan DW wanted).

Spent two days, and two nights there while the techs worked on electrical issues that could not be corrected. When we first arrived the sales person stated the PDI person was running 30 minutes behind, and stated we could get the paperwork completed while we waited......NO THANK YOU, I need to see and test drive first!

Starting the PDI the AC knob fell off, Fantastic fan did not work, table trim falling off, black tar on floor that someone tracked in. The generator would not start (tripped breaker). Once they figured that out while on our test drive both roof ACs went out, and windshield molding separated from top corner.

We returned to dealership and tech explained to sales person what occurred and they would work on the issue. Sales person turned to us and stated something to the effect of we can now go sign the paperwork while they correct the issues......NO, we are going to lunch.

This cycle repeated itself three or four times over two days! They could not correct electrical issues, each time they worked on it I was asked to sign..NO !

The final testing and test drive resulted both ACs again going out, and now there was no power to residential refrigerator!

Both the sales person and GM who was involved by now, suggested / reminded us several times the unit was under warranty, and WE could always bring it back for repair, or take it to a closer dealer for repair!!!

This was a brand new unit that was fine on shore power (we spent the night in it), but appeared to be an electrical lemon! Obviously we did not purchase the unit!

The GM did step up and paid for our return trip home.

Please don't sign anything until you have PDI'ed the heck out of it, and have taken it for a good test drive!!!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #24

One thing you did not mention, if you did i missed it, If you are having it delivered to you, you will not get to do a PDI except for any cosmetic damages that the delivery truck may have done. and it must be paid for before it leaves the dealership. Good Luck with your purchase.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
"Remember that a PDI is not just an inspection, it is also a training session you."

That is not true. You will not see training on PDI inspection checklists. It may be helpful to a newbie and some owners for a dealer to do that and they may say it is part of the PDI, but it is not true.

It helps deflect your mind from focusing on what you need to be doing...identifying issues so you can avoid as much as possible having to come in on warranty for build failures and bad components that should have been fixed before you took delivery.
I agree.

A PDI is just that... a Pre Delivery INSPECTION.
You should use it to identify any problems or items that needs attention BEFORE you purchase. (hence the words pre delivery)

While some dealers include the after sale walk through/customer orientation with the PDI, they really should be separate processes.

PDI gets things documented/repaired before an exchange of money.
Customer walk through/orientation gets you familiar with how everything works and operates once you purchase.

Obviously, if the dealer is worth his salt, any remaining issues found during the orientation process will be corrected as well. If the dealer's PDI and your PDI is done correctly, there should be few if any issues at walk through.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #26

I have seen Several Dealers Names posted here "EXCEPT" the dealer we/you are talking/complaining about! Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #27

I'm with Band, turn and run, there are a lot of dealerships out there that will do it correctly and not pressure you, I would suspect that there is something wrong with this camper, and they are trying to get you into the warranty period. If they are treating you like this before you give them the money just imagine what it will be like after the sale and you need warranty work done.

Curt
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #28

If I ever feel pressured at all during a price negotiation, I leave. If they ever say that the price is only good for a short time, I leave. If the salesman says that they have to okay a price with the manager, I leave, if you can't make a deal with me, why am I talking to you?

I have actually done my shopping for the last three units online. Much less frustrating. When we negotiate via email and phone to the price we want, we put a small deposit to hold the unit until we can get there. The wife and I then inspect the unit ourselves for any major, obvious problems. We probably spend an hour going through it.

You are going to have warranty issues, no matter how thorough your inspection is. If you expect to get a perfect rig you will be disappointed. We rarely go back to the selling dealer for anything. We have an authorized independent in our hometown to do the warranty work. They don't sell them, they just work on them. Perfect!

I don't trust most dealers, and for sure don't trust them to do a pdi or even a walkthrough with us.

I would also never spend all day crawling through every inch of a unit in the parking lot, making demands of the dealer to prove every little thing is perfect. If I was the dealer having to put up with such a demanding customer, I would tell you to keep your $$$$

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you have to protect yourself, but not to the point of being one of the customers that nobody wants to deal with.

If something doesn't feel right, walk away. Finding another unit via the internet is easy
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If the salesman says that they have to okay a price with the manager, I leave, if you can't make a deal with me, why am I talking to you?
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but not this. I would never expect a dealer to give ultimate pricing authority to a salesperson. It is possible to get a salesman that's been with a dealer long enough that the management trusts them with that kind of authority, but I would say that's rare.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but not this. I would never expect a dealer to give ultimate pricing authority to a salesperson. It is possible to get a salesman that's been with a dealer long enough that the management trusts them with that kind of authority, but I would say that's rare.
I agree with you about the manager having the final say. I don't mind flunky salesmen following me around, but when it comes to the actual sale, I will not sit in an office while the salesman runs back and forth to the manager. If the manager won't engage directly for the actual sale negotiation, I'm gone
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
When we negotiate via email and phone to the price we want, we put a small deposit to hold the unit until we can get there.
The RV the we purchased last fall, we did this exact same thing. Stopped at the dealership and located a salesperson. Talked about ordering a unit and asked for information and a tour of similar units they had on-hand. Then we left the dealership.

Trade value, price, and PDI process was all handled via email and phone conversations. Order was placed, deposit mailed. The next time we were in the dealership was at PDI time. Salesperson knew that PDI and fixes all needed to happen prior to me handing over the big check. Loved the process being handled away from the dealership where we had time to think and ponder before committing. There was never any pressure. The dealer also had time on their side to call the factory, talk to their owner.

Never be in a hurry to hand over the cash.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #32

I dont mean to pile on here, but having just recently bought mine, I'd encourage you to hold your ground. We had a nearly 3 hour PDI, where we pushed every button, flipped every switch, looked over every square inch of the top, underside, insides, inside of the inside, and then doubled down on being able to recognize everything without being prompted.

The big deal here is that as a part of OUR inspection, we found out the fireplace wasn't working as intended, a defect which they had not seen before and were able to update the factory on what went wrong. So even with a GOOD dealer there can be hitches.

Good luck, and
Forge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #33

No way pay anything until AFTER a PDI is done to your satisfaction, and if you find anything major is walk away. No matter what they say.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #34

"I would suspect that there is something wrong with this camper,"

This is a lot wrong with this industry and buyers have to be on top of their game. You should assume all campers and motorhomes have a lot of problems, but be prepared for the occasional exception.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I like the way you think!
Good. Let us know if you get it.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #36

If it's that hard to get a PDI, imagine what it's going to be like to get warranty work done. Unless they change their attitude quickly I'd walk.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #37

When we picked up our camper from RV Wholsale we followed the PDI checklist and it worked great. One thing I had wished we had done was ask for a copy of the final manufacturer's invoice. We had been in our toy hauler 2.5 hours before I realized the Arctic package we specified when we ordered was not installed. The dealer was great, offering to reorder the unit and deliver it for free if we wanted. We decided to keep the unit we inspected and got the credit.

The invoice will confirm the equipment is correct. As an example we upgraded the AC to a 15 unit and there was no way for us to tell without the invoice.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #38

NMWildcat: You seem to like using the perfect to make others sound unreasonable. Doesn't work.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #39
Site Team

When you do finally get your RV, ask the dealer to provide the build sheet at time of signing. FR ships each unit with a build sheet ( a multi-color list of installed items). The build sheet lists the make model and serial number for every OEM option added. This information will be invaluable later on for recalls, repairs and parts. Many dealers will not provide it unless asked. Copy it and keep a copy in the unit and one at home for when you need that info.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #40

Run, run away
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer