Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Dealer issues, need advice!

Hi all,
I am completely new to the rv buying process so I need some advice. We are in the process of buying a New 2017 Forester 3171ds. We have agreed on the price with the dealer and I have a check in hand for that amount.

I told them before I give them the check, I want to do the pdi and when I take delivery I will give it to them. They are giving me a hard time for some reason. They've given me the run around saying that they have already done a pdi when the rv came in from the factory. I asked for it and they deflected, but now they say they have a copy and want to send it to me so I can come in and sign the paperwork.

From what I've read on here and other places, it's fairly common to have a pdi before payment. Is that true? I'm not sure why it's so difficult to get them to do it.

I just want to make sure I'm not asking for something unreasonable.

Thanks for any advice.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

Tell them you want to do a full blown PDI and test everything or no deal. It's really simple. I would tell them that and if they refuse would walk away in a split second. But first I might show up in person so I could show the check to the GM and then tear it up in front of him. Either they want to sell it or they don't. If they made a deal for X amount, so can another.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

I like the way you think!
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Team

The PDI is to show you where everything is located and document any issues you may uncover during the PDI. I would not pay for a unit before I am satisfied it has been thoroughly checked, and all the systems tested, with me present for the tests.

If the dealer is giving you a run around on something simple like this it may be time to look for a different dealer.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #5

Definitely do your own PDI before you hand over the check. If there is something/anything not to your liking have them fix it. Once the check changes hands you're at their mercy to have things taken care of. There is a PDI checklist in the Library tab under Most popular files.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

No PDI, NO sale it's just that simple.

Sign nothing till you are happy.

There is a PDI list in the Library print out a couple MAKE them do the whole thing.

Record it so you have proof of defects and can look back to make sure ALL of them are fixed.

Heat up a cup of water in the microwave to make sure it works, how do the bed/s foldout make them show you.

Water heater bypass valves, make them show you where they are.

IF you are unhappy for ANY reason take a walk with the check in hand or on a desk in small pieces.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

The dealer is supposed to do their own "PDI" before you do yours with the tech when you do your walk through. In a perfect world issues would be addressed before you see the unit, my opinion is they should inspect them when they first take delivery but I suspect that rarely happens. When I bought mine a few months ago I did not present them with a check until after I did my walk through. We finalized the paperwork while my hitch was being installed. Now on ordered units from some wholesalers they can ask for payment before your unit ever even sees their lot. That was the case on my previous trailer with RV direct.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Team

I would not sign anything or pay them anything until you do a thorough PDI. Also if issues are found during the PDI do not accept, " Just sign and pay and we will fix it later" Once they have your money their urgency to fix things will not be the same as when they want their money.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

From the sound of it, I think I'd go somewhere else on general principles. Sounds to me like another sucko dealer. You buy it and then they don't know you...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

You should do the PDI and plan to give them some time to fix what is broken. Then on another trip, you can verify that everything is fixed and give them the money.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
From the sound of it, I think I'd go somewhere else on general principles. Sounds to me like another sucko dealer. You buy it and then they don't know you...

Sounds that way to me also, another sucko dealer

Rook, stand your ground.

Our dealer let me inspect our Rockwood prior to the PDI, on the back lot the day it arrived from the factory, and I brought my own ladder for the roof and a tarp to get underneath it. I had told them I wanted to inspect it that way and they hesitated at first until I told them fine "no sale". The unit arrived with many build issues, some major. Then we played the F.R. game to get the issues corrected. which did not work out so well. Even though the unit was not purchased it still had to go through the factory mandated warranty procedures. F.R could not get the parts sent in a timely manner. Ultimately I told them to keep it, and gave them the option to either refund my deposit or have another unit built. We ordered the 3rd week in October and finally bought it the end of April. It only took 6 months to buy a trailer but the second one shipped was much better, still not perfect but better.

Rook, I would suggest not letting the excitement overload common sense. I would discuss with the management not officially buying until after a full blown inspection and all repairs completed. Maybe offer them a cash deposit as a good faith measure and get it in writing that is refundable, along with a time restriction on how long the overall process will take.

The bottom line is if it just doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, and another sucko dealer.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #12

Would you buy an $85,000 vehicle without test driving it, before buying it?
Would you buy a regular home without having it inspected?
Are you being unreasonable in your wanting to have a through PDI done before you sign the papers?
I don't think so!!!
Your about to make a long term commitment to owning and maintaining an expensive piece of equipment that you may be paying for, for a long time.
Stand your ground and have the PDI and any repairs done before you sign. You can always take your money elseware.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #13

Me, I'd walk right now. And I'd tell him why, but I wouldn't listen to his answer. I'd just walk.

IF you don't walk, I'd tell him that you have no idea what HIS PDI did, or what he found, as you weren't there. If he wants you to trust HIS PDI, then let YOU be there when HE does it. Since he didn't do that, how can you trust what he did?

If you must buy there, then tell him that you were planning on doing a 3 hour PDI, but now that he is making you suspicious, you are NOW planning on a full 2 DAY PDI, attended by his LEAD tech, and only after A) you both are done going over it tooth and toenail and B) they fix everything you find and he THEN has another PDI to ensure it's fixed, will you consider buying.

He won't agree to that, and you can THEN walk. As I said, I'd avoid the hassle and walk now.

These guys. They amaze me.

By the way, every dealer is NOT that way. Some are great.

P.S.
Some folks think that hard tactics will 'force' a dealer to give in if he wants to sell it to you. IN fact, in a Seller's Market, he may not want to sell it with any conditions........since he believes that tomorrow a true sucker will walk in and buy it without hassling him at all. If that's his belief, he will kick hard buyers out....and not accommodate them even if they have cash.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

I've always done a PDI before purchase. It wouldn't be unreasonable to offer a simple security deposit to lock up the unit and showing good faith (refundable if you encounter issues during the inspection or don't take delivery.) Otherwise, I agree with everyone else.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Hi all,
I am completely new to the rv buying process so I need some advice. We are in the process of buying a New 2017 Forester 3171ds. We have agreed on the price with the dealer and I have a check in hand for that amount.

I told them before I give them the check, I want to do the pdi and when I take delivery I will give it to them. They are giving me a hard time for some reason. They've given me the run around saying that they have already done a pdi when the rv came in from the factory. I asked for it and they deflected, but now they say they have a copy and want to send it to me so I can come in and sign the paperwork.

From what I've read on here and other places, it's fairly common to have a pdi before payment. Is that true? I'm not sure why it's so difficult to get them to do it.

I just want to make sure I'm not asking for something unreasonable.

Thanks for any advice.
I think the Proper place for this is "Dealer Reviews"! Ask the Same Question and also Supply the Dealers Name,let the Dealer come and say if They think it is "Unreasonable"! Let them step up and say! Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #16

"They are giving me a hard time for some reason." They would like to close the deal, transfer your funding, pay the salesmen his/her commission, earn their profit for the dealer, pay off the dealer loan (flooring), and get the unit off the lot with the least minimal effort on their part. That shifts you into the warranty cycle where the RV is now your problem. They are asking you to make it easy on them and hard on you if you discover any problems thereafter, which is very likely and some may be significant.

"They've given me the run around saying that they have already done a pdi when the rv came in from the factory. I asked for it and they deflected." That is because it was not done and/or they are not in the habit of providing proof they did a PDI and the details of what they hopefully actually did (or just checked off without doing), which is usually accomplished within 30 minutes or less, if at all.

"but now they say they have a copy and want to send it to me so I can come in and sign the paperwork." Fine, take receipt of it so you have a working document you can say is insufficient and you still need to do your own PDI and they need to fix everything you find before you take possession and sign off. Puts the ball in your court. One of the things you need to do is not to engage in a circular conversation over a generic and often meaningless term called a PDI.

There are pre delivery inspections check lists that vary in length from nothing done to 2 pages to 6 pages to 20 pages, etc. It is nice to receive a list of things they have done and signed off on for your file, but then you need to redo those things they did (claimed they have done) and do the other things you would like to have done too.

Treat the new unit as if it was an older used unit. Have one or more inspectors/service technicians, if MH a mechanic, help you out and have the longest list of things to consider you can come up with and stand your ground...but be very nice, just a pain in the rear...verify, verify, verify.

Your goal is to avoid going into the warranty cycle with a list of problems you could have and should have had fixed by the dealer before you leave and don't sign off/take possession and leave with a promise to fix something...don't be in a hurry to take ownership and drive off.

Your leverage is gone once you have signed off and driven off the lot with the unit.

"plan to give them some time to fix what is broken. Then on another trip, you can verify that everything is fixed and give them the money" Exactly right. Don't be surprised to end up in some situations with a Havercamp response "told them to keep it."
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #17

Seems like PDI stands for Pretty Dark Inside. At least at the dealer our coach came from. Items were missed during their PDI that the neighbor across the street could see through the windshield. Don't back down from doing your own inspection.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #18

when I'm confident and know, I have no problem to show. my first question is- what you have to hide? you want to sell and all I want is, to see if everything is ok. if you already have a problem with such simple task, what happens, when there is a problem?
Nope- the deal would be done for me- sometimes it has reasons, why another dealer is a little bit more expensive and it pays off, to invest a little more in service. you will save the money later. trust me.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #19

Remember that a PDI is not just an inspection, it is also a training session you. You learn where all components are located and how to operate them. The dealer doing his on inspection teaches you nothing. As stated above he should do his own inspection and then do one with you.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

It's been over 2 years since my most recent purchase from RVWholesalers, which was my 3rd TT from them, so I'm trying to recall exactly the process. But, IIRC, when I arrived, they had the camper ready to show me and had a tech assigned for as long as I needed him. No rush at all. Had plenty of time to go through EVERYTHING and ask questions. Anything I found that needed attention was immediately taken care of, which in my case was only a few small cosmetic things like a piece of trim needing an additional staple. After all of this I went back in and we completed the paperwork. I did place a $1K deposit to hold the camper. After paperwork was completed, they even allowed me to have a heated space in the shop to install my ProPride hitch. This tied up one of their bays for ~4 hours, but they were happy to do it. Unbelievably accommodating, helpful and great to work with. I think I'd walk and give RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH, a call. You'll probably save a good bit of money, too. Good luck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer