Old 03-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #31

Selling anything as a dealer is a can of worms. I sold phone systems many years ago, and the more of a brand we sold, the better our discounts got. At the end of the first year our discounts would be twice what they were at the beginning and we got "hold back" on the stuff we sold earlier in the year at the lower discounts. When we had sold at a big enough volume, our discounts became even greater and didn't change through the year... Car dealers, boat dealers, and yes, RV dealers all probably work the same way... My old Little League coaching friend was GM of a large DFW car dealership. He told me they made more off of used car sales, and service work than on new car and truck sales.

All that being said, the same guy told me that RV dealers average about a 35% mark-up at MSRP on most RVs they sell... some more... some less. He also said that the manufacturers will help a dealer out on price to get rid of left-over, last-year's models.

Happy buying...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #32
CP3

New member/shopper here. Can anyone confirm the validity of seedealercost.com? I'm shopping for a Cherokee 274DBH Limited, Core, and XL packages and the MSRP shown on that site are $5-6k LESS than dealers posted MSRP I'm seeing in my area. I'm in NM and I've shopped here, TX, AZ, CO, and CA and they're all around $30k listed MSRP (optioned as close as possible). SDC.com says MSRP is around $25k, invoice around $17k. The closest I've seen to what SDC.com says MSRP is in the midwest (KY,MI,MO, etc.) Can anyone help confirm?

I have a dealer here at $22,888+TTL (tax only 3%) and that includes the cost of a lifetime warranty and equalizing hitch installed.

I feel it's a good deal for my area but if I'm leaving $3-4k on the table that feeling goes out the window. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3 View Post
New member/shopper here. Can anyone confirm the validity of seedealercost.com? I'm shopping for a Cherokee 274DBH Limited, Core, and XL packages and the MSRP shown on that site are $5-6k LESS than dealers posted MSRP I'm seeing in my area. I'm in NM and I've shopped here, TX, AZ, CO, and CA and they're all around $30k listed MSRP (optioned as close as possible). SDC.com says MSRP is around $25k, invoice around $17k. The closest I've seen to what SDC.com says MSRP is in the midwest (KY,MI,MO, etc.) Can anyone help confirm?

I have a dealer here at $22,888+TTL (tax only 3%) and that includes the cost of a lifetime warranty and equalizing hitch installed.

I feel it's a good deal for my area but if I'm leaving $3-4k on the table that feeling goes out the window. Any help is appreciated.
I was pretty good friends with one of the owners of the rv dealership we use. The seedealercost website was pretty much spot on, i believe you have to calculate for shipping at roughly about $1.69 a mile.
I payed $2,000 more than dealer cost on the site, for my 5er order, which is what my dealer, friend said he needed to make. He said he wanted to get $2,000 more than cost on an order. Helps pay the shop hands and overhead.
Im fine with that. Now if it was $10,000 or something like, thats a little excessive for a factory order that might be on their lot 3 days.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #34

Do not know about the web site but keep in mind some dealers add shipping to the up front cost some add it at the end. Shipping cost around here is around $1200 plus and I assume can be much more for some areas.

And the number of units they sell affects their cost / the more they sell the lower their wholesale cost per unit.

I just got an out of the door price that beat any other local (Within 200 miles) and was and still am happy with that. I didn't care to drive 100s of miles to save a little.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Do not know about the web site but keep in mind some dealers add shipping to the up front cost some add it at the end. Shipping cost around here is around $1200 plus and I assume can be much more for some areas.

And the number of units they sell affects their cost / the more they sell the lower their wholesale cost per unit.

I just got an out of the door price that beat any other local (Within 200 miles) and was and still am happy with that. I didn't care to drive 100s of miles to save a little.

I agree.
My dealer was able to beat rvw's and everone elses price i could find on the web once i added shipping to their prices.
Plus I would loose more in loss of wages and trip costs than what shipping would be, so its a no brainer for my situation.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #36
CP3

Thanks for the replies, I forgot about shipping. I found a dealer in TX that posts their shipping around $2000 so I'll assume NM would be just a bit more than that. That makes up a lot of the difference as the website confirms they don't add shipping.

I agree being able to buy local and not having to go pick up a unit or have it shipped counts for some $$$ as well as the lifetime warranty, which I know is not free. I'll just have to decide if I think it's a good deal or not.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #37

Bison RV, Clovis, NM

I bought my last RV from Bison RV in Clovis, NM. That dealership had a very good reputation around the folks I knew, that had dealt with them. They were totally honest with me on the sale. They were very honest last week when I contacted them about my door on my TT. If I wasn't 7 hours away from them, I'd let them fix my trailer. Since I have no faith in any of the stealerships around here... I'll fix it myself.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Is the average cut off for dealer pricing 30% from MSRP? When I picked up my trailer they forgot to remove the manufacturers info. I got to see how much they paid for my RV. I ended up paying them 25% over their cost which was 30% under MSRP.

Needless to say it was an eye opening discovery.
100% markup of actual dealer cost is typical in trailers; slightly less in motorhomes.

As stated in numerous previous threads on this topic (a search here will be enlightening), how YOUR deal stacks up has many variables besides actual dealer cost.

There are many "profit centers" in any purchase. Price paid for the camper in excess of "actual dealer cost" is one; negotiated trade in value is another; dealer secured financing costs; and extended warranty (most often useless) is another. Talking you into dealer installed options, so called "paint protection", and tire upgrades can add several hundred dollars of pure profit after you agreed to the sale price.

You will most often get your best deal by negotiating cash with no trade and stick to your guns about no "extras" after the sale.

Take the dealer's "MSRP", multiply by 40% and then start there.
Make them fight their way up to a fair price agreed to you both, rather than you fighting your way down till you are too tired to fight anymore.

You should be able to close between 35% and 30% off the dealer's MSRP with almost no effort except being willing to walk out. They WILL call you back. I did not even make it to the car before my cell phone rang when I bought my truck .

How can one dealer sell for so much cheaper?

Another thing. NEVER discuss your strategy with your spouse or others at the salesman's desk while he is "out checking with the boss". LEAVE and go outside. Those phone microphones at the desk could be turned on and you might be eavesdropped upon so your salesperson knows what your number is.

In any case you will find your "wait time" for the boss's approval to be significantly reduced if they think you might leave.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #39

My dealer was to the dollar comparing the website on both MSRP and invoice.

As others mentioned, you have shipping and the farther away from the factory you are, the higher it would be I assume.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
My dealer was to the dollar comparing the website on both MSRP and invoice.

As others mentioned, you have shipping and the farther away from the factory you are, the higher it would be I assume.
One thing is for sure; no one will sell you a unit and lose money on it.

It is our job to make that sale as painful as it can be for the dealer and as sweet as can be for us. In the end both must be happy to sign the paperwork

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer