Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

For what it is worth:.... In a car dealership, warranty labor is only 70~80% of book labor. In other words, a 1 hour customer paying job, only gets you 8 tenths hour of warranty labor. Now, as a dealer, if I have paying customers all willing to pay full price, why would i take on work at 80% of price? Also, since you did not not buy from me, why would I want to do your warranty work, when I didn't make any money on the sale? As for working on your car after warranty, sure, I get full price plus parts. Do some math, are you going to work for full pay tomorrow, or are you going for 80% pay? How many 80% days can you afford at the expense of someone you couldn't make happy when they bought their trailer? And while the dealer only gets 80% pay, the mechanic still gets full pay, so, is this customer even worth it????

Please, no one take this personal!! Just have to sometimes wear the dealer's shoes. I don't know about RV dealers, but I do know about car dealers. When work is slow, warranty work is performed to fill in the gaps. When work is busy, the parts are on order, or so they say......

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #12

I certainly see your point Windrider. However our local RV dealer (one of the biggest in the northwest) has a horrible attitude which drives the smart buyers away. Where will that get them in the end? I wouldn't take my rig to them for work durring or after warranty and word of mouth is spreading faster than ever with the internet. Some of these dealers might just make more customers in the long run if they didn't refuse the warranty work in the first place.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes that's either the gamble you take, or the price you have to pay. As for me, I try to bend over backwards for a customer, regardless, because if I can get your business and keep it, I will have a job. If I never get your business to start with, I have lost you forever. The ones I get and keep, tell two more, the ones I never get, get on a forum and I have lost hundreds......
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Sometimes that's either the gamble you take, or the price you have to pay. As for me, I try to bend over backwards for a customer, regardless, because if I can get your business and keep it, I will have a job. If I never get your business to start with, I have lost you forever. The ones I get and keep, tell two more, the ones I never get, get on a forum and I have lost hundreds......
Now that's smart business and I am always quick to do business with someone who has your attitude for customer service even if you did charge more than someone else. How many times to we see someone come here singing the praises for their dealer just after the sale only to come back and totally trash them on their service? These RV dealers have a LOT to learn.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Our dealer is awesome!! I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've very happy I bought locally.
Thank your lucky stars you have a good dealer. Some of us that live out in the middle of nowhere don't have that privilege.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #16

Unless you were buying a $100,000 motorhome I'd stick with the local dealer. I would still get a full quote from the other guys so you have some idea how much you can deal with the local dealer.

I did that and actually it came out the same price.
Oh the RVOnline guys don't tell you everything. They only take part of the state tax and not 100% like the local dealer does. When you apply for your plates/Reg you get hit with the rest. Make sure you have all the numbers.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Oh the RVOnline guys don't tell you everything. They only take part of the state tax and not 100% like the local dealer does. When you apply for your plates/Reg you get hit with the rest. Make sure you have all the numbers.
This isn't really true. RVdirect.com estimated our taxes, licensing and title fees using data available through our state. It was all rolled into the financing and they hit it on the head! Perfect. No extra taxes to be paid on delivery. Very smooth transaction.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
This isn't really true. RVdirect.com estimated our taxes, licensing and title fees using data available through our state. It was all rolled into the financing and they hit it on the head! Perfect. No extra taxes to be paid on delivery. Very smooth transaction.
I spoke to them on the phone and theytold me that they only take 20% of the tax and when you reg it you pay whatever is left.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I spoke to them on the phone and theytold me that they only take 20% of the tax and when you reg it you pay whatever is left.
That's odd because I was able to roll 100% of my taxes and fees into the financing. I believe I still had to pay it at the licensing office but RVdirect sent me the check for the amount to pay it and it was to the cent.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #20

Not worth going on with this.
Bottom line is what I said was make sur eyou have the true total figures when buying from them. That way you have something to compare to with your local dealer.