Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #51

We decided to purchase locally to support our local economy and didn't want the hassels of finding someone to service our Roo.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
We decided to purchase locally to support our local economy and didn't want the hassels of finding someone to service our Roo.
I thought I was doing the "right thing" by staying local as well. I did use the RVW quote to get a fair price though. After the sale, I discovered that the back shop was horrible. I would have been better off saving the money since I wound up doing most of the maintenance myself in any case.

The dealer back shop work was very expensive; they charged me for work that should have been covered under warranty; and left me with no place to go if I really did need major work done. Most likely if the camper is "road-able" I will drive it to Forest River's factory.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
For those of you who used RVW, was their coverage of repairs reasonable, or did they challenge you and say that the problems were not covered???

Alos, did they pay the repair shop directly or did you have to pay for the repairs and then wait for reimbursement from RVW????
Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #54

62car9,
if you have time, photo copy your sales reciept and purchase order and send it to the "local" dealer along with your friends...and gently tell them when you are rude to folks and ignore them long enough, like if you ignore your teeth long enough, they will go away.....just think you could have made 2 sales instead of none.....

Maybe if they realized by seeing the sales ticket and so forth they meaning local dealers would change their ways, then again most of dont have the time to fix these clown's business models....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #55

Much of what has been said above is predicated on the assumption that the exact RV unit you want to buy is sitting on a local lot. In my neck of the woods no one within 100 or more miles is selling Cedar Creek 5vers. So there is no local dealer to go to for warranty work or to buy an RV. Therefore you either go with a different brand or go with someone like RVW.

That said, my RV is way out of warranty so I can go anywhere for service. When I had a recall on my refrigerator I took the RV to a dealer about 35 miles away. Since I live in mine full time, I needed it in and out in one day. They fixed the refrigerator and about 5 other items I needed done....Got it back the same day. Great service. Ironically the trailer was originally bought from that dealership but they discontinued selling CC's. Said they were too expensive for their clientele.

We have another dealer in the area that has the lousiest service ever and we do all we can to make sure we do not send anyone to them. Running an RV park allows one to spread the word...be it good or bad.

Dealers and RV manufacturers need to realize that RVer's talk, compare notes and are vocal in their likes and dislikes of RV brands, service and dealerships. Word of mouth advertising is either going to be the best you can get or the worst. I can guarantee that because of some exceptionally bad service given to several people in our park - both before and after sales, we are all vocal about how bad they are and collectively we have cost them thousands of dollars in lost service fees and hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost sales.

Dealers may only be getting 80% of the fees on non-warranty work....but what are they getting in word of mouth responses? Bet a good dealer gets a lot more business from taking care of the non- warranty work than if he relied mainly on the 100% warranty paid work. Let's face it...there are a lot more used RV's on the road than there are new ones being sold. Someone is going to take care of them. Why would a dealer turn away ANY business? You know how many times someone has brought in an RV for repairs and walked away with a new RV instead? PLENTY!!!! ALL customers are good customers. Treat them right and they will keep coming back for all their needs...be it parts, service or buying a new RV.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #56
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingshadow View Post
Much of what has been said above is predicated on the assumption that the exact RV unit you want to buy is sitting on a local lot. In my neck of the woods no one within 100 or more miles is selling Cedar Creek 5vers. So there is no local dealer to go to for warranty work or to buy an RV. Therefore you either go with a different brand or go with someone like RVW.
this isn't quite correct. if you didn't have a Cedar Creek dealer near you, FR would find a FR dealer of another type, to do the warranty work.
for example, we bought our Roo HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away. when we got back, FR found a local dealer that sold FR popups. they sold R-Vision HTTs, not FR HTTs.
they were willing to do the warranty work.
when they went out of business, FR found a dealer 20 miles away, that would do the warranty work and they didn't even sell ANY FR products.
so, you don't have to have a dealer that sells the exact FR product that you have. any FR dealer can do the warranty work, no matter which brand of FR product you have.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
this isn't quite correct. if you didn't have a Cedar Creek dealer near you, FR would find a FR dealer of another type, to do the warranty work.
for example, we bought our Roo HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away. when we got back, FR found a local dealer that sold FR popups. they sold R-Vision HTTs, not FR HTTs.
they were willing to do the warranty work.
when they went out of business, FR found a dealer 20 miles away, that would do the warranty work and they didn't even sell ANY FR products.
so, you don't have to have a dealer that sells the exact FR product that you have. any FR dealer can do the warranty work, no matter which brand of FR product you have.
I am wrapping up our latest search and have researched local shops that will do the work on an out-state purchase.

What I have found in my area is that there are some dealers who advertise their service centers as "happy to work on ANY brand and ANY warranty work is accepted". These service centers sound similar to bikendan's actual experience. BTW - these are typically dealers that have sprung up in the last 6-7 years.

Also, there are several independent service shops - not many and I don't know how good they are but they can be found.

These options are helping me to feel more comfortable in case we do buy out-of-state.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #58

I tried to buy local, $3,000 more and when I said I could travel 200 miles and get it for that, their reply " you will have to wait to get work done on it as their buyers come first"
Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #59

buying local for $1,000 more with freebees is a lot different then $3 or $4 thousand more from local!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #60

I had the good fortune of having 4 dealers in my area selling the floorplan I wanted. 2 Rockwood and 2 Flagstaff all within 60 miles. One of my local dealers price was actually less than RVW's without the need to haggle. Some of the other dealers we considerably higher (nearly 4k).
at the end RVW was begging to haggle with me to buy it from them. Of course I politly denied but did offer to let the saleman tell his boss why I bought elswhere.