Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #61

XLR purchase

We ordered a XLR toy hauler from RVW in Ohio in late March. The closest XLR dealer to us is 6 hours away. I made the changes we wanted to the trailer and then asked for price quotes from 7 dealers within a 10 hour drive of our home. Our experience was there was a $5,000 price difference on a $30,000 purchase from the highest dealer to RVW with the lowest price. The closest dealer also had the highest price. To save $5,000 I am willing to drive an additional 4 hours and spend less than $600 in fuel and travel expense. Before buying from RVW, e-mail and ask them who can provide warranty service in your area, then call that dealer and see if they are willing to do the work. In our case there is an indepedant service center less than 10 miles away.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #62

Similar Situation

We are trying to but locally in Upstate New York on a Rockwoood TT. Thier price is quite high compared to RV Wholesalers and a dealer 4 hours away in Ohio. RVH said I could order from them and have it shipped directly to my house. One Issue I have is I know in transit the TT rattles around quite a bit and so if I bouight it locally, the local dealer would have these all fixed in the prep. The other dealer 4 hours away would have already done this. When I went to the local dealer, they knocked $11,000 off the MSRP with my trade, but added in almost $1,300 in prep and freight which is twice of RVH. When I told them I wanted a clean deal price, they were not so ready to do that. It seems to me they are inflating my trade price, to make me think they are giving me a good deal. I would like to buy locally, but like most people I want a fair price. I know another advantage of buying locally is getting the hitch all set up. I am switching from a friction sway to an equlizer hitch which they will set up, but how much is all of that worth.
Guess I am just looking for a little feedback. Sorry for rambling on!

Thanks!
obron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obron View Post
I know another advantage of buying locally is getting the hitch all set up. I am switching from a friction sway to an equlizer hitch which they will set up, but how much is all of that worth.

You could pick it up at RVW and save on the delivery fee. They also sell and install Equal-i-zer hitches. You could do a camping shake-down for a few days in Lakeview and get anything fixed that needs fixing.

That's what we did when we purchased our Rockwood 2605 from them.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #64

It probably not an option for you but drive over and pick it up. I drove 1000 miles one way to pick it up. The Wife and I made a vacation out of it. Stayed at the Indian Lake state park the first night like 5 miles away to try everything out. Left the next morning and hit 3 other campgrounds on way home. Good Luck to you with the new rig.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #65

HA good one Dave I was typing mine same time as you LOL!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #66

Thanks for the suggestions. We could easily drive to Ohio. My biggest concern is warranty work. There is a Camping World nearby that carries Forrest River, but not the model we want. Wonder if they would do any warranty work? Even if I sell my 07, for wholesale )(which is basically what the dealer is giving me) I think I will be ahead. Now I need to determine a fair price for the TT I have.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #67

Are you familar with a dealer Mansfield OH. They are $1000 less than the dealer in Holland. Both of thier prices are equal to or less than the dealer with my trade!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #68

Any Forest River dealer can perform warranty work on any Forest River Product, call all of the Forest River dealers in your area, odds are, one will want you as a new customer.

We bought a Rockwood trailer from a dealer 4.5 hours from our home because they had the floor plan we wanted on the lot, the local dealer was honest and said it could take as many as twelve weeks if we ordered a unit from them. Our local Rockwood dealer also doesn’t perform warranty work on products bought anywhere else, they only serve their customers. (I haven’t been back for parts or accessories and most likely never will because of this policy)

I found a Forest River dealer 1 mile away from our local Rockwood dealer that will perform work on any Forest River Product from anywhere, just need to show them your sales contract to show it is still in the warranty period. (I have been back to this dealer for parts and accessories)

Before you buy from a non-local dealer, go to the Forest River web site and search for the closest Forest River dealers (any brand name) and ask if they will do warranty work on a Forest River Product. More than likely there will be a smart dealer nearby who will want the work and a new customer.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #69
Site Team

obron, first, have you priced RVDirect? they sell and service FR products and have at least 2 if not 3 dealers in NY. they are at the top with RVW, in online pricing.

second, call FR to find local dealers that are willing to do warranty work.

just so you know, we drove 4000 miles RT, from NorCal to Chicago and back, to get our new HTT.
not many have gone that far to save money but we saved over $4000, even after trip costs.

and FR found local dealers that were happy to do the warranty work. one didn't even sell FR products.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

this is NOT just FR's policy but a policy that occurs, no matter what the brand or manufacturer is.
i've heard the same thing from Jayco dealers, Fleetwood dealers, KZ dealers, Thor dealers and so on.

this isn't the auto industry, it's the RV industry which allows dealers to do what they want, with little input from the manufacturers.
Normally the factory is cheaper
Matthews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #71

Why worry about a dealer?

We purchased a Sabre 5th wheel from RVW and saved a bundle. I have taken advantage of their nation wide warrantte service. We had a small issue or two and I didn't want to get my hands dirty so I called RVW and they had an arrangement with an independent repair service in the town where I live and they also had a mobile tech too. In short, the items were repaired in my driveway. Hows about that for service?
poorturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #72
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmtx88 View Post
Any Forest River dealer can perform warranty work on any Forest River Product, call all of the Forest River dealers in your area, odds are, one will want you as a new customer.

We bought a Rockwood trailer from a dealer 4.5 hours from our home because they had the floor plan we wanted on the lot, the local dealer was honest and said it could take as many as twelve weeks if we ordered a unit from them. Our local Rockwood dealer also doesn’t perform warranty work on products bought anywhere else, they only serve their customers. (I haven’t been back for parts or accessories and most likely never will because of this policy)

I found a Forest River dealer 1 mile away from our local Rockwood dealer that will perform work on any Forest River Product from anywhere, just need to show them your sales contract to show it is still in the warranty period. (I have been back to this dealer for parts and accessories)

Before you buy from a non-local dealer, go to the Forest River web site and search for the closest Forest River dealers (any brand name) and ask if they will do warranty work on a Forest River Product. More than likely there will be a smart dealer nearby who will want the work and a new customer.
I agree.
Our local dealer is a total rip-off artist and I would never go there for anything.
We purchased from a dealer 4 hours away because he gave the best price the first time out (no BS involved), I would like to take it there for warranty work, but it is way to far for that, unless is was something really big.
There is however a FR dealer close by us, but in Michigan and I have asked them if they would do warranty work even though we didnt buy from them, and they said "yes".

Warranty work is warranty work....they get paid for it....so any dealer who would turn it down has very poor business practices, (and a bad attitude ).
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote