Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Decision time...or not

My wife and I are 43 years old with a 16 year old that will camp with us for the next couple years before heading off to college.

We've had 2 TT's in the past and the last one we sold about 5 years ago. We purchased both of them new. The first one we had for roughly 2 years before trading up.

We've always wanted a MH. To have the ability to jump in, go to the grocery store, and leave town for a few days is very appealing to us. We run an air conditioning and heating business in Florida. Summertime camping will be long weekends to local campgrounds and week long excursions during the fall, winter, and spring months around the southeast region of the US. Frequency will no doubt be at least once a month. We also like to go to car shows, football games, etc.

Today, we put down a small deposit to hold a Georgetown 330TS while we sleep on it. It's a 2011 with 14,000 miles. It seems to be in very good shape except the passenger seat is flaking. They said they would re-upholster the seat for us. The carpet is also oddly stapled down along the entire seam where it meets the linoleum flooring and they said they would put some molding down to cover it. The price is $74,000 which I think is fair considering I'm trading in a boat that I'm about $3,000 upside down on.

We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we would pull behind the MH.

With that said, we are wondering if we are looking at too much MH for our needs. We definitely like space and we want almost new. We've looked at quite a few MH's and really didn't like anything less than a 2008. They just seem too used for our taste. At the same time we are wondering if 70 to 80,000 is the right range for our first MH. I would guess that we would want to upgrade in about 5 years.

Another consideration is buying a 2005 Silverado 2500HD with Duramax Diesel for $22,000 and a $30,000 5ver. The tow vehicle would only be used for towing as we have other daily drivers.

Either setup would be stored inside a warehouse when not being used.

I realize I didn't ask much of a question here, but if you could help me through the thought process, it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

There is a '07 or 08 georgetown 350 in the classifieds section with 7200miles for $70k.

We have a 5er but we already had the Duramax. Since you have the jeep a mh would work well, and maybe a little more manuverable than a 5er, but a little more $. We will always have diesel trucks so we will probably stick with 5ers- I don't want another engine. But it would be nice to tow the boat w/out 2 vehicles!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote